Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-08-01 16:03:38

**_RockettCrawford_**

Can I change the connect pro application look and functionality?

From my research it appears that it's possible to write stand alone applications that make web service calls into connect pro, but it's not possible to write custom pages that integrate into the connect pro web server software.

Is this correct?

For example, a client wants a different interface for students who are taking e-learning courses, but they want this interface to appear instead of connect pro's standard interface.

I'm suspecting that this is probably not possible because I'm finding a lot of examples of web service calls from custom stand alone apps, but no examples of integrating or modifying anything in the canned connect pro web server software.

I think if I wanted to write my own application to make calls into connect pro's web services I could present a custom e-learning interface from the data in the connect pro web service, but I can't insert that interface in place of the one in connect pro's canned web server software.

I just wanted to make sure before I report to my uppers.

thanks,
Rockett Crawford

#2 2008-08-04 16:44:48

**_michael_**

Re: Can I change the connect pro application look and functionality?

There isn't an easy way to add or modify the in-product web application (unless you really love XSL and spend a long time learning what feature.xml could potentially do), so I think you best bet is a stand-alone application that makes use of the web services calls.  You can set-up Connect to redirect request to the web-app to this new application, and provide a completely customized experience.  We do this for a few customers, and it definitely provides the most flexibility.  One more thought:  if you have an existing portal, you could certainly hook into that via the same web services.

#3 2008-08-05 12:47:03

**_RockettCrawford_**

Michael,

I really appreciate the response. Sounds like using the web services is the way to go. I also didn't know that the AC web-app could be configured to redirect requests. That will be a big factor for what we need to do.

thanks,
Rockett Crawford

#4 2009-01-27 23:27:17

**_mh_**

..sorry to open this topic back up but, are you guys saying that it's possible to say; build a completely custom flash web app that calls to the connect pro data (web cam, meeting connections, pods, etc)?

#5 2009-01-28 00:23:26

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

There is a method to do a connect apps in other flash applications, but the idea is still a beta idea. A conversation with Michael Fitzpatrick would be a good place to start. However, in my experience with using and customizing Connect, is not a terribly difficult process, you just need to know the rules. In RealEyes' custom work in Connect, we have been able to say yes to 90% of the request that we get.

#6 2009-01-28 00:29:00

**_dyun_**

mh wrote:

..sorry to open this topic back up but, are you guys saying that it's possible to say; build a completely custom flash web app that calls to the connect pro data (web cam, meeting connections, pods, etc)?

If you are interested in building a completely custom collaborative app with Flash (or Flex), I'd recommend getting into the CoCoMo beta: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cocomo/

Description from the beta site:

Codename "Cocomo" is a Platform as a Service that allows Flex developers to easily add real-time social capabilities into their RIA (rich Internet applications). Comprised of both Flex-based client components and a hosted services infrastructure, Cocomo allows you to build real-time, multi-user applications with Flex in less time than ever before. And because Acrobat.com hosts the service, issues like deployment, maintenance, and scalability are taken care of for you.

Features of the Cocomo beta include the following:

* VoIP Audio
    * Webcam Video
    * Chat
    * Multi-User Whiteboards
    * Real-Time File Sharing
    * User Management
    * Roles and Permissions
    * Robust Data Messaging

CoCoMo is the platform that Adobe used to build the Connect Now application (part of acrobat.com).

If you get involved in the beta, would be great to hear what you think and what your experience is with CoCoMo.

Best,
David

Board footer