Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2014-05-20 08:18:38

AnnapolisKen

Hardware and software for connecting a Camcorder as Webcam?

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't find any recent comments that would refer to the current state of the art.
We really need video with optical zoom in Adobe Connect for special events, and it seems like the only way to do this is to take our digital camcorder, port the analog video into a converter and switch it to USB 2.0 and Adobe Connect will think it's a webcam.

I'm looking at a Hauppauge USB Live2 as the solution, but this post from 2011 in this forum leads me to believe that it won't work:
http://www.connectusers.com/forums/topi … e-connect/
Does anyone use that device or something similar? I'm intrigued by the HD ElGato:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00840353W/ref … T1NSL7B2Y5

I like what I see in the Talking Stick app for Adobe Connect, but wouldn't I still need a hardware solution to get the live video stream into Adobe Connect?

#2 2014-05-20 09:42:49

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Hardware and software for connecting a Camcorder as Webcam?

I would look at DVdriver, and see if that helps. It should allow you to take any video input and have the OS see it as a 'webcam'. Then you can stick with your existing hardware, so long as it has the ability to connect to the computer. Since you already have the camera, all you would need to have is a video input (video card) that accepts the native video out from that camera.

http://www.trackercam.com/TCamWeb/dvdriver.htm

As to Talking Stick, or other similar apps, it leverages an external media server and displays the stream(s) in the pod in Connect. So it removes some of the barriers of getting the video in the room by removing Connect's limitations, but it also demands more bandwidth and if your session is recorded, then the video from the external media server will not be part of the recording.

#3 2014-05-21 07:47:33

AnnapolisKen

Thanks--I will look. We have a Mac with Firewire but no PC with Firewire, so I'll ask our IT dept. if they have any Firewire cards to install in our laptops. It looks like it would not be a solution that I could easily port to all the computers on campus.

#4 2014-06-10 23:11:24

Wiley

Hi There,
I have just spent a frustrating day trying to make a number of different video cameras work as external video sources to Adobe Connect. I've tried it on both Mac and PC's. It seems unbelievably difficult to make work for something you would think many users would want to do. I called the Adobe support line and all they could offer as advice was that if I had a digital video camera with a USB port and a driver, it should just work. I wonder if anyone can offer me a simple solution and list the hardware and software that I need to buy to make this happen. I prefer a Mac solution but at this point would live with a PC solution if necessary. Thanks in advance.

#5 2014-06-14 22:25:13

MidoriC

I too have been pulling my hair out trying to make Adobe Connect work for a live event. It's just not cut out for a true professional event production environment.
After MUCH research on how I can get a signal from a video switcher, I started using the Blackmagic Intensity Extreme with Thunderbolt to ingest the video into my MacBook Air. It works perfectly and should be the tool to get the video signal from any video camera into your laptop.

HOWEVER, I cannot get rid of the pillar boxes! No matter how many times I try to adjust the settings, it will not change. Feel like I'm going to lose my mind!!!! But I hope the first part helps you :)

#6 2014-07-01 15:27:11

cuc1392753901

The easiest thing to do is to get a camcorder that supports a PC/Mac interface directly.  If it does not, you can use a capture card or a device like this:

http://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/V … ~SVID2USB2

#7 2014-07-02 10:04:51

clewis

Midori, make sure your input settings on the BM device match the scale ration in Connect in the Video settings.  So if your room is set to use 320x240, set the input on the BM to the same.  If you have it at 640x480, set the BM input to that as well.  If you're using the 16x9 setting in Connect, you will need to change your input or canvas to 640x360. 
Wirecast also works well for taking that incoming video signal and downscaling for Connect as well.  It's a paid application, but works very well.  Same deal though.  You can then set the BM to the resolution of the camera and set the canvas in Wirecast to match Connect.

Board footer