Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-05-26 11:08:45

**_David.Walker_**

SQL Server 2005 SP3

I'm trying to get some information on whether SQL Server 2005 SP3 is compatible and/or supported with Adobe Connect Pro 7.  The documentation states SQL Server 2005 SP2 as a requirement but I'm wondering if this means a minimal of SP2 since SP3 was not available at the time of writing.

Our Adobe Connect Pro 7 server is Version 7 sp1 (connect_701_r18) running on Windows Server 2003 sp2.  The database is installed on a separate server running SQL Server 2005 enterprise edition.

We did some initial tests on a development installation with SQL 2005 SP3 and we found no issues.   This is to be expected because a sql server service pack should not change any functionality but should be bug fixes and possibly additional functionality.  Else there would be lots of unhappy customers who use SQL Server 2005 as a backend for a variety of products.

I am trying to get a statement from Adobe support about sql server 2005 sp3 but they are not being very responsive. 

I'm wondering if anybody else is using Adobe Connect 7 with SQL Server 2005 Sp3 and/or have  any information from Adobe about it's compatibility or support.

Thanks.

#2 2009-05-26 14:26:33

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: SQL Server 2005 SP3

Per Adobe for Connect 7:

Database requirements     

Recommended: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP2

Minimum: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2

I wouldn't expect much more information out of Adobe other than "we are looking into it" or "that is currently being tested".

#3 2009-05-26 15:27:19

**_anhyzer_**

We're still running Connect 6, SP3 (because the VOIP audio issues have never been satisfactorily addressed for us with Connect 7) but our database is SQL Server 2005 SP3 running on an separate server. No issues. It runs fine.

It's not Connect 7, but it is a data point I guess.

--Chris

#4 2009-05-26 16:02:13

**_David.Walker_**

Thanks for the replies.  Cute kid anhyzer.

I'm hoping that someone can post some positive experience with Connect 7 as well.

#5 2009-05-26 17:05:42

**_tlchurch_**

We are running Connect 7.2 with SQL 2005 SP3 and have not experienced any known issues.

#6 2009-06-01 16:27:03

**_rcotton_**

I spoke with the AWESOME support team that Adobe has seem to have gathered over the past few months. After getting disconnect 3 time; getting placed on hold with no music other than an annoying 2 second beep every 5 second, they tried to edit the registry of my server. It seems that during the installation of SP2 for connect 7 it looks to see what version of SQL you are using. If you are using SQL 2005 with SP3, the install thinks this is MSDE SQL Light and wants you to uninstall the a program that is not installed. I would think there should be a patch for this issue. They have supposedly escalate my call, but I don

#7 2009-06-02 08:35:11

**_rcotton_**

I received word from support:

Hi Robert,

This is in reference to your case 180961488 where we are unable to install Connect 7 SP2.

I escalated this issue to my next tier team and came to know that this bug will be fixed in Connect 7 SP3 which will be available from 12th June.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Only 10 more days and I may be have a fix.

Last edited by **_rcotton_** (2010-09-22 16:27:35)

#8 2009-06-02 11:27:59

**_David.Walker_**

This is the response I got from adobe.
"If you want to upgrade the database(Microsoft SQL Server) from SP2 to SP3 on current version of Connect. It will work fine.

In other case, if you are running Microsoft SQL Server SP3 and tried to upgrade Connect to higher version SP2. It throws an error while installation. It is logged as bug."

I tested applying Connect SP2 against a Connect SP1 installation using MS SQL server 2005 sp3 (enterprise edition) and I had no issues.  I also tested applying MS SQL server 2005 sp3 against  Connect SP2 and Connect SP1 installations without any issues.  We are not running the SQL Server 2005 Express edition so it is possible the bug is only applicable to the Express Edition.  I'm surprised it is reading the registry since this would not always be possible if you are using a separate database server.

On an additional note, I too experienced the problems with calling Adobe support. eg. being on hold for long periods of time only to be disconnected, being barely able to hear the person on the other end with it sounding like the worst cell phone connection possible...

#9 2009-06-02 13:07:40

**_rcotton_**

This seems to have work. I did not have a MSSQL.2 key.

1) Start the Regedit tool
2) Back up the Registry
3) Locate the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft \ Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion
And
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft \ Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion
And
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion

4) Change the key to 9.00.3042.00
5) Save the Registry
6) Re-try the Connect 7 SP2 install
7) When the installer finishes, then open up the Registry Edit tool again

#10 2009-06-02 20:04:05

**_connectguy_**

Hi David,

The bug only applies to Connect installations that have SQL on the same box.  It is a bug with the installer.  It is addressed in future releases. 

The installer needs to detect if SQL is installed on the box already since Connect ships with the embedded SQL Express installer for people who do not have SQL already. 

However, the installer should not stop because SQL 2005 SP3 is installed.  That is the bug. 

FYI, if SQL is on a different box, Connect does check the version of SQL installed, but via @@VERSION and not the registry.

Cheers,
Brad

#11 2009-06-02 22:48:52

**_David.Walker_**

Thanks Brad.   

I believe the combination to cause the bug is a local installation of SQL Server SP3 installed as the default instance.  I tested with local named instances of both sql express and enterprise and both allowed connect to upgrade fine.    When I did the same test with default instances, the connect upgrade reported the bug.

The registry key causing the problem with the connect sp2 upgrade is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion. 

As noted by rcotton, if this key has the incorrect value (eg. SP3 version), the installation will fail.  This registry key only exists with installations of the default instance.  A named instance will use a different registry hive which is not checked by the connect installation.   The workaround as noted is to change the value or I found even renaming the registry key will work.  I don't believe it is necessary to change the other two mentioned keys which may be different depending on how sql server is installed on the server.

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft \ Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft \ Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion)

#12 2009-10-23 09:41:30

**_Blik_**

Excellent hint!

I was having exactly the same issues with the SP3, but setting the values for

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion

to 9.00.3042.00

and changing it back after the installation (in my case:  SQL Express SP 1 with 9.00.2047.00) did the trick!

Big Kudos to all the great people here!!!

Board footer