Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-09-08 10:24:38

**_pgiandrew_**

host vs. on-premise

hi, I just saw that you have a survey about how Adobe Connect Pro license is deployed, hosted vs. on-premise?

I do not know the answer and am curious if you can tell me how to figure it out. In addition, please advise the difference between 2 options, what the benefits are, and why compnay would choose 1 option vs. another.

Thanks.

#2 2009-09-08 12:32:12

alistairlee

Re: host vs. on-premise

I believe the easiest way to figure it out is to look at your URL.  If it ends in 'acrobat.com', then it's a hosted service.

There are a number of factors that go into the decision between hosted and on-premise.

Hosted is easier to manage (since Adobe takes care of managing/maintaining the servers, bandwidth, space, etc...).

On premise gives customers more control since they can decide when to apply upgrades and perform maintenance.  It also offers an extra level of security since all of the data is kept on your own servers.  On premise can also work out to be lower cost over several years since it's a perpetual license instead of a hosted subscription.

#3 2009-09-08 14:35:40

**_pgiandrew_**

great, good to know, so mine is hosted... what would the URL looks like for on-premise license? is there no acrobat.com, just like adobe.abcinc.com or something like that? how can customer get on-premise license -- upon request only? more important, are there any feature changes?

#4 2009-09-08 19:14:29

**_Jeff_at_RealEyes_**

The URL for Licensed (On-Premise) accounts are typically connect.xxxx.com | .org, etc, or with whatever domain the customer wants. On-Premise licensing is usually requested, and can be quoted accordingly by resellers. Never assume that your customers only want Hosted. There may be many compliance and security regulations that you customers must adhere to (such as HIPAA and FERPA regulations), and having an On-Premise deployment of Connect Pro may be their only option because their servers already meet the aforementioned standards. So you should always ask what "flavor" of Connect Pro is going to work better for them.

As far as feature changes, there are some. In an On-Premise deployment, customers can have SQL integration (single sign-on, etc.), custom API integration, and unlimited content storage (as it is their server, therefore no Hosted Access Licenses are necessary), just to name a few. Aesthetically, On-Premise deployments look the same as Hosted deployments, aside from any custom branding, etc. That being said, the functionality is literally the same, as well.

Does that clarify?

Board footer