Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-07-14 04:27:53

**_chris.harrison_**

Custom pod cannot call a webservice

Hello

We have written a custom pod that users can interact with. We would like to persist the data this creates into our own database. We have set up a webservice to store the generated data that our pod can call.

Whilst we can get the pod to connect to the webservice we have come across an issue:

As soon as a webservice object is created in the pod, the pod seems to lose its ability to talk to the syncConnector object.

var WebServiceObject = new WebService( "WSDL ADDRESS IN HERE" );

If we comment out the line that creates the webservice object, the pod can talk to the syncConnector.

Has anyone else come across a similar issue. Is there a way of talking to a webservice and talk to the syncConnector?

Thanks
Chris

#2 2009-07-14 06:22:28

**_jcooper9099_**

Re: Custom pod cannot call a webservice

Odd, Perhaps your webservice Object is keeping a port busy which is neded by the syncConnector?

#3 2009-07-23 11:02:46

**_tlchurch_**

Hi Chris,

I have not connected directly to a WSDL in AS, so can't speak directly to your question. However, I have used the Connect XML API and just loaded the results into an XML object. You might be able to load the web service results by using the full URL (e.g. ?op=getMyInfo) ?

Just a thought, might be useless :-)

#4 2009-07-24 04:38:14

**_chris.harrison_**

Thanks very much for your input.

Regarding the comment around holding open the port - I agree this looks like what is happening. In my code, I'm using a call back function that explicitly setting objects to a null value (not sure if flash has a cleanup function), but this doesn't make a difference. From the point at which the object is created syncConnector functions don't invoke remote methods or return data.

I've just taken a look at the Connect XML API component which seems to be a wrapper to help get meeting data from the Connect webservices API. Not sure if you mean this component may help (it wouldn't in this instance as I'm calling my own webservices) or that this component uses a  communication-principal that would work for me to call my own webservices. Could you clarify?

I've seen a post where someone says they have succesfully used a php proxy - I'm from the .net IIS SQL server world so does anyone know how this principal translates into microsoft technologies?

I've also seen that some people have suggested sendAndLoad for XML data to a webservices that has been setup to allow HTTP GET and POSTS. I'm not sure whether this is a worthwhile investment as wouldn't it still cause the port-problem described in my post, as I'm assuming this will use the same port as a webservice request, thus blocking synConnector communication?

Could this problem be because we're on a hosted service rather than having an on-premise license.

The problem seems quite technical but storing bespoke data is fairly fundamental to anyone developing for Connect, but there is very little help in the documentation that comes with the Collaboration SDK documentation (which explains to me why this tool seems revolutionary on paper, but not as popular as I might expect in real-life). Has anyone succesfully engaged Adobe with development problems relating to Connect. They appear to take an unwisely hands-off approach. If you have, how did you go about getting their input?

Thanks again
Chris

Board footer