Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-06-03 15:00:26

**_Crawdaddye_**

Recording Live Events Using VoIP

We hold live events a couple times a month and we are interested in recording these using Connect. 

Our typical setup is to get a mic feed from a mixer and plug it into the mic jack on a laptop.  Even after running some tests, the quality of the audio in these recordings has been mixed at best. There are audio drops and the quality of the audio fades in and out.  I know there are a lot of variables; the mixer, the cables, the wireless mics, the location of the mics on the speaker, the internet connection, Connect

#2 2009-06-03 15:05:32

**_roysdenc_**

Re: Recording Live Events Using VoIP

What type of live event are you trying to record?  I can tell you that we have live presentations using Connect that we use a usb headset mic using VoIP.  Though there have been issues with VoIP for the live presentations, we have had good results on the recording itself.  For our setup, we have a control room where we montior the presentation room.  Before an event we check the audio levels from all presenters to make sure they are set appropriately.   For recording, we simply use the recording functionality in Connect.

Let me know if you have any questions.
-Chris

#3 2009-06-03 15:10:51

**_thomasattrp_**

FWIW we purchased an Acoustic Magic mic that works quite well.  http://www.acousticmagic.com/

If you do a search in this forum, you'll find several references to it from others. Not cheap but has the capacity of including sound from everyone in the room, or just the main speaker blanking out all others not within the 45 degree piece of pie extending from the mic.  Do a search in this forum and you'll find many references to it. 

We did have one problem with ours (though it may have been in the way we used it), we called the maker and ours was replaced immediately.

Thomas

#4 2009-06-04 07:25:11

**_Crawdaddye_**

Our live events are typically a speaker or speakers in the front of a hotel conference room.  The size of the room varies from event to event.  Unfortunately, with this setup we don't have access to a control room, and we don't get a lot of time to test before the events.

The Acoustic Magic device looks like a possible solution, but if anyone else has others we are open to all suggestions.

#5 2009-06-04 08:12:49

**_dyun_**

You might want to check out our Best Practices User Group meeting from April where Ryan Monger from Adobe's Conferencing Services team spoke about Audio Best Practices:
http://www.connectusers.com/groups/best … /index.php

His team is the one responsible for simulcasting live events such as this one:
http://www.connectusers.com/community/g … /index.php

#6 2009-06-04 12:22:26

**_mongerryan_**

There are a few things you can do to improve the quality.  If you have a dedicated desktop PC, I would recommend getting an audio/video (at least audio) capture card.  (We use the Osprey-230)  This will provide better sound capture than an PC's sound card (especially if it is stock) and give you the flexibility to choose your audio input. (The osprey allows you to choose XLR or RCA inputs). 

Another piece of equipment you might want to look at is the SHURE X2u XLR-to-USB Signal Adapter (http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/ … 2u_content)  or something similar.  I just ordered a few and I'm going to test them out.  They seem like a good fit for these live sessions on the go, when you have to work with A/V companies who are usually using XLR based inputs.

After you have your audio inputs, try some adjustments with your computer's settings.  In Connect Pro, you can adjust the record volume by right clicking and choosing the microphone tab on the settings option.  When you are doing this, make sure the meter is peaking about 3/4 of the way.  You don't want it too high because it will sound over-driven.  Also, if it is too low, you might experience drops in the audio stream. 

On your computer's sound card or capture card, you can usually adjust the record volume in the settings as well.  I usually take a few moments to adjust both of these before I start a session..because all microphone systems can produce different line volumes.

Hope this helps!
Ryan

#7 2009-06-16 08:39:55

**_craigg_**

Hi all- Quick question along the same lines as this topic. I just got a M-audio Fast Track Ultra. It is a multi-channel mixer with analog and USB outputs. I am working with M-audio on this issue but their support turnaround time is pitiful.

The only way I can get more than one channel of audio from the mixer to a laptop (Vista) where I am running the Connect session is via the mixer analog out to mic in connection on the laptop. If I try a USB to USB connection I only get channel 1's audio from the mixer. Any clue what is going on? Another oddity is with the USB to USB connection on a desktop running Windows XP I can get chan 1 & chan 2 audio from the mixer but not the other channels. In both cases I am using a USB 2.0 interface.

#8 2009-06-16 09:23:14

**_roysdenc_**

Craig - We use a M-Audio USB mixer for some non Connect related projects.  Some of us have Vista and sme XP.  What we found interesting is that the drivers that came with the product work in Vista, but weren't fully supported.  We went online and got the latest versions for Vista and haven't had any problems since.  This is probably something you have checked already, but wanted to throw it out there just in case.

-Chris

#9 2009-06-17 07:42:29

**_craigg_**

Chris- I went ahead and double checked the M-audio driver status on the Vista laptop. Downloaded the driver again but still the same result- only one channel of audio from the Fast Track Ultra via a USB connection. Since I had a new Dell Latitude with XP SP3 sitting in my office I gave it a try. Same result as when I tried my desktop PC (XP SP3 also)- only 2 channels of audio via a USB connection. Maybe if I install Windows 7 I will get 3 channels. And then Windows 8 will give me the 4 channels I expected when I purchased the FTU!

#10 2009-06-17 09:24:47

**_roysdenc_**

Well, at least we tried.  Sorry it didn't help.  That is about all I have for you, but I hope you get it figured out.

-Chris

#11 2009-06-17 10:22:39

**_gajett_**

craigg wrote:

Chris- I went ahead and double checked the M-audio driver status on the Vista laptop. Downloaded the driver again but still the same result- only one channel of audio from the Fast Track Ultra via a USB connection. Since I had a new Dell Latitude with XP SP3 sitting in my office I gave it a try. Same result as when I tried my desktop PC (XP SP3 also)- only 2 channels of audio via a USB connection. Maybe if I install Windows 7 I will get 3 channels. And then Windows 8 will give me the 4 channels I expected when I purchased the FTU!

Craig,

You've got the right idea with the mixer, but possibly the wrong product, or wrong idea about this product.  The FTU is a USB audio interface that uses ASIO low latency drivers, with the intent of sending its multiple channels of audio to audio production software (it says it's capable of WDM and MME -- see if there's any type of setting to specifically use those).  Think Protools or any other DAW-type application.  They are designed to interpret and accept this type of multiple audio channel input.  Your computer, just by itself, isn't designed to accept any more than 2 channels.  It simply doesn't know what to do with the info. It needs audio production software to make sense of the multi-channel input.
Depending on your intent, you may need to use the mixer as a mixer and output to analog into the computer (normal, 2 ch audio).  As an odd, possibly improbable work-around, you *might* be able to open up abelton live (should have shipped w/ the unit), mix the 4 inputs and direct your sound card to choose the internal audio stream as the mic input. Some cards can do this, some can't.

The FTU is intented to be used w/ audio production software, rather than as a standalone mixer, although it might be capable of some standalone mixing.

good luck!

Greg

#12 2009-06-17 14:31:16

**_craigg_**

Greg- Your post- some good info! I don't have ProTools or any other DAW app. I did try Audacity but got the same results, and for the reason you cited. I was about to say my problem is a result of Adobe Connect's inability to deal with the USB feed from the FTU because M-audio's control panel does indeed show activity from all inputs even though Adobe only sees 2 channels. Which I guess is what is happening but it is not Adobe's fault. Your explanation makes sense. I will give the Abelton idea a try.

So do all these USB mixers want to feed a DAW? I started looking into other manufacturers (like Yamaha Audiogram6) but they might just be more of the same.

I  guess another question is if I had ProTools or similar on the laptop, could I have its output feed into the Adobe Connect session?

Sigh... looks like the free version of Abelton is limited to 2 channels. Puts me right back where I was!

Last edited by **_craigg_** (2009-06-17 15:31:10)

#13 2009-06-18 07:15:37

**_gajett_**

Craig,
If you are a windows user, try Kristal: http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/ . Uses ASIO, up to 16 tracks.
It *may* be possible to route the audio back to Connect, but might take some messing around to get it to work.

greg

#14 2009-06-18 08:32:58

**_craigg_**

Greg- I saw another post in the forum space on Kristal and downloaded it yesterday. I am still playing with it. I was able to get 3 channels of audio from the Fast Track Ultra into Kristal but so far nothing out the speakers of the laptop or no idea yet how to get it to feed Adobe Connect.

I bought the FTU by following a recommendation of another M-audio mixer user. I have since learned that he had a 2 channel mixer (was only using 2 mics during his AC sessions) so that worked for him. Going beyond 2 audio sources appears to be the challenge!

#15 2009-06-18 08:40:12

**_gajett_**

craigg wrote:

Going beyond 2 audio sources appears to be the challenge!

--via USB. 

It is quite easy w/ a standard analog mixer and the analog input of the computer.  we do that regularly and automatically in our 'smart' classrooms.

As you've already mentioned, most (all, or nearly all) USB-type mixers are designed to be used w/ some form of audio production software, rather than to first mix the signal down to L-R for something like Connect.

You'll need to play with your soundcard settings to get the internal audio to route into connect.  Some cards will do it, some won't.  I forget were (somewhere on this forum, i think) there's info about playing the audio of a shared media file (sharing the app, not uploading a .flv) through Connect using a similar work-around.

greg

#16 2009-06-18 09:16:13

**_craigg_**

Greg- Yes, I did have success with the mic input connection method. What we are trying to do is put together a "Adobe Connect Bundle" for lending in our college. It would include mics, cables, stands, a camcorder for pan/tilt/zoom, and the mixer. We have seen a growing need to mic and capture more than one talking head via AC.

I was hoping a USB audio connection to the laptop would work as it seems like an easier connection method (more plug-and play?) for our non-tech savvy users. The laptop analog mic connection required some OS smarts/control panel changes that I was hoping to avoid bothering the user with. We may end up having to bundle a laptop along with the mics and mixer and have all the settings for the analog connection method predefined for the user.

Hmmm..... Just discovered this guy and am wondering if he is the perfect fit for our needs:

http://www.alesis.com/multimix4usb

Last edited by **_craigg_** (2009-06-18 10:01:40)

Board footer