Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-05-01 15:57:57

**_blueguero_**

How to edit Excel spreadsheets in an Adobe Connect meeting

Is there a way to allow meeting attendees to edit an Excel spreadsheet in a meeting?  It can be Excel 2003 or 2007.   Consider Windows XP/Vista the platform.

Thanks,
Sergio

#2 2009-05-01 16:02:43

**_roysdenc_**

Re: How to edit Excel spreadsheets in an Adobe Connect meeting

I don't think you can do that.

Something straight our of Connect states for uploading content to Connect:
"The file should be one of the following formats: *.ppt, *.pptx, *.flv, *.swf, *.pdf, *.gif, *.jpg, *.png, *.mp3, *.html, or *.zip. Please refer to the documentation for valid contents for zip files."

I am not sure what options you have for a .zip file, but if you can load an Excel spreadsheet, I don't see how you would be able to edit it.

What is your use case?

-Chris

#3 2009-05-01 16:09:29

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Yes you can do this,

- First you need to Share your screen with Excel open.
- Then your other users need to have Presenter level permissions to the share pod (either by being Presenters in the room or through Enhanced Participant Rights).
- Your users will see a "Request Control" button at the bottom of the share pod. This allows one other person to have shared control of your computer or application.

This will work for every user, and makes no difference what OS they are working on. I have used this feature to work with people from Mac to PC (XP and Vista) without issue. The only thing to watch out for are the users of left handed mice, as their buttons are backwards.

#4 2009-05-04 09:56:32

**_roysdenc_**

Jorma -

Thanks for correcting me.  We have not needed this type of experience, so I was not aware you could give control of your shared desktop to another presenter.  I will let me team know incase this comes up for us.

So to be clear, you cannot load the Excel into it's own pod, but as a presenter/host, you can share your desktop and give someone else control of your desktop through the share pod.

-Chris

#5 2009-05-04 11:37:40

**_gajett_**

roysdenc wrote:

Jorma -
So to be clear, you cannot load the Excel into it's own pod, but as a presenter/host, you can share your desktop and give someone else control of your desktop through the share pod.

-Chris

Chris,

Depending on how you feel about the issue, if you share your DESKTOP with the intent of sharing an app, the user who has control can control your whole machine (if you aren't paying attention).
If you'd just like to share an app, simply share the application.  The user with control then only has control of that app.

FWIW, this ability to share and control a desktop remotely, without any 'special software' can be quite frightening to administrators of 'locked down' computing facilities.  :-)

Greg

#6 2009-05-04 11:48:28

**_dyun_**

FYI...here is a link to a tutorial showing you how to "control" another user's screen:
http://seminars.adobe.acrobat.com/controlremotedesktop

#7 2009-05-04 15:40:55

**_roysdenc_**

Good point about sharing an app vs the entire desktop.  And we won't tell IT when it comes to "locked down" facilities.

-Chris

Board footer