Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-03-13 13:18:24

**_Daniel_**

How to make videos file size smaller

Been working on a project that involves putting lots of video into presenter files. We have about 5 hours of video to share with trainers in remote locations for them to view on demand. The video is for the trainers to use as a visual study guide, along with a transcript, showing the training they are to reproduce. So, the quality of the video is not a high priority.

We have the original video on DVD, so those were ripped using the highest quality settings on Sothink's DVD Ripper. Took those ripped files (avi) and split them into chapters using the Windows Movie Maker program, and began publishing the individual chapters to import into Presenter. When I publish it in Movie Maker, selected output settings for 640x480 at 1000kbps. (there are some other default settings, none of which closely match what Presenter will use.)

That "published" video, in wmv format is what we let Presenter import. The end result quality is really good. The file size is a little large, about 4MB per minute. Any ideas how I can create a smaller file size?

Don't have control over fps using the simple tools I have, so I believe it is using 30 fps. 15 fps would probably be fine.

I used Sothink Video Encoder for Flash to reduce the fps, but actually ended up with a larger file size than what Presenter imported by itself. So I tried again and reduced the bitrate (keeping the fps at 15) and the result is a very pixelated video that is the same file size as what Presenter imports.

#2 2009-04-21 06:04:22

**_ravindra.patel_**

Re: How to make videos file size smaller

Hi Daniel,

Try to use SUPER by eRight Soft.

You can download it from URL  :
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video … /super.cfm

I would help you to reduce the file size.

Thanks,
Ravindra

#3 2009-04-21 06:51:49

**_Daniel_**

Thanks for the reply Ravindra,

I ended up experimenting with Sothink's settings and found keeping the original display size and fps was the best option.  I lowered the bitrate to 300kbps and that seemed to make a smaller file size without greatly compromising quality.  Sothink's finished FLV's could be imported directly into Presenter, though Presenter cautions me that it "deteced something wrong with this flv and it may not play properly." However, have not had problems, and the resultant video file size averages about 2 MB per minute.

Have tried super too and it seems to have some nice features.

Daniel

#4 2009-04-21 18:11:42

**_Jstegenga_**

Keep the bitrate and reduce frames to 15 - this might help even more.  If you intend to publish to Connect you should be aware that max file size is 100mb, though I've had the uploads time-out some times at 70-80.

Board footer