Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-02-02 13:45:02

**_tsengiku_**

Question - activating the camera loses audio in the meeting

Dear User Community,

I have been involved as technical support for the organization which uses hosted version of Adobe Connect Pro. 

We have a participant in the online meeting who is having trouble and I was wondering if anybody has the suggestions to solve the problem.

The situation is

When she activate Camera and Audio pod and display herself in webcam, we loses her audio.
When she turn off camera and keep herself as audio only, the audio comes up.

She uses USB Logitec webcam and headset, which are both plugged in directly to the computer.
When her webcam is activated, audio device (both USB audio device and realtek AC97 Audio) seems to be disable.   

Eventually I can ask her to buy the headset with 1/8 Analog plug, but I just wanted to find out if there are anybody who was successfully able to troubleshoot  this problem.

Has anybody experienced this issue?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am asking her more detail on what kind of headset and webcam she uses.

Sincerely

Takeshi

#2 2009-02-02 14:56:17

**_tsengiku_**

Re: Question - activating the camera loses audio in the meeting

Here is her settings

Computer Platform - Windows XP
Webcam - Sakar 49152-DM Web Cam
Microphne - Logitech USB headset/A-0356A

The additional information:  When we tried Skype for testing, the video and audio both worked.

#3 2009-02-03 17:00:40

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

This is a basic starting point, but did she do the audio set up wizard and the select camera tool?

There is also the ability to use the Flash settings tool (right click in the room) and select the audio input menu. This may clarify which audio input is selected for her. There may be many options (with a camera, headset and audio card you will have 3 options), so choosing the one you want should give the results you are expecting.

We use Logitech webcams and have not seen any issues with their use.

#4 2009-02-04 13:57:57

**_tsengiku_**

Yes. we tried the Audio setup wizard and Flash settings tool.  Everything was working correctly when she is only using the audio.  As soon as she activates the camera pod and then check the Flash setting, audio option seems to be disable (it means no matter which device we select, the volume leve is not picking up the audio at all).

#5 2009-02-04 16:15:35

**_Carri.Saari_**

I too had similar problem with USB headset. Analog works without problems.

I ran the Audio Wizard in Connect and identified the headset for auio in. But it doesn't let you select anything for audio out (hello - Adobe! can you add that in?).

The fix was on the machine, not in the web app. I had to force select all the audio ins and outs to recognize the USB headset. Even so, the next time I tried it, same problem. I gave up and only use the analog headset now.

#6 2009-02-04 17:55:54

**_roysdenc_**

I had a situation recently where I was using a camera and seperate audio source.  I did have a few problems, but realized the source of the problem was the camera pod taking over the audio.  I ended up changing the source back to my Logitec USB headset mic and everything ended up working.  I don't remember where I changed the setting for the mic, but that fixed it.  I started off with my mic, turned on the camera, lost audio, changed the setting and everything was fine.  Not a big help, but maybe can give you some options.  I know I did have to change a setting on the computer itself, not just in Connect.

-Chris

#7 2009-02-05 10:53:43

**_tsengiku_**

Thank you all for your reply

So I guess we have to change the settings in the computer as well as Connect.  Which settings should I ask her to configure?  I am assuming the Sounds and Audio Device Property in Control Panel would be the one. (to make sure Sounds recording is appropriately selecting the USB headset.)

Any other settings that I should ask her to check? 

Takeshi

#8 2009-02-05 11:01:39

**_roysdenc_**

That is where I would begin.  Any time I am having audio issues, I always check the settings in Windows in addition to Connect to make sure I am using my desired source. 

One other thing to note, is that if you are recording the presentation and the camera pod is in the presenter only area, anyone who can see the presenter only area during the recording will hear the audio, but no one else will, and the audio will not end up on the recording.  You have to have the camera pod in the presentation area of the meeting.  This burned me with a series of recordings that I had recently, and Adobe says it is expected behavior that the camera pod will take control of the audio for the room, so be aware of where you plave that pod.

-Chris

#9 2009-02-09 11:27:54

**_tsengiku_**

Thank you, Chris.

I checked the setting with the participant and we found out there may be other issues, besides Adobe Connect pro, to cause this issue.  She actually mentioned she saw the 'short on memory' message when she activate the video pod. 

I am guessing that the computer is using too much of memory for video with one USB port and trying to disable the headset with another USB port in Adobe Connect.

I am asking her to give me the detail of what sort of message she saw.

I am not sure if there is any different between using video pod in Adobe and using video in Skype, because, again, she was able to use both video and audio with Skype.

#10 2009-02-12 10:22:13

**_memarsh_**

We ran into this issue with a couple of our customers. Our admin for Connect found a KB article about the Universal Talk and the Camera and Voice Pod.  Basically, if you turn on the Camera and Voice Pod directly you run into audio issues.  You have to enable the universal talk first.  Then turn on the Camera and Voice Pod.  If the webcam you are using has a built in microphone, this microphone will try to take over the voice part.  So once you turn on the webcam, run through the audio setup wizard and be sure to select the USB headset.  On the last step of the audio setup wizard there is an Advanced Settings  button.  Click this button.  If the Enhanced Audio is selected, turn it off.  If the Enhanced Audio is not selected turn it off.  Sometimes toggling this feaure solves the audio problem.  This pertains to recordings where audio is dropping out as well.

I ran into this with one other person as well whose laptop was connected to a docking station.  He actually had to plug-in both his headset and his webcam into the docking station, otherwise meeting attendees got static or white noise every time he tried to talk.  As soon as we moved it back to the laptop USB got the same static.  So that is another thought as well.  Might be the USB port.

Hope this helps,
Melissa

#11 2009-02-17 11:17:04

**_tsengiku_**

Thank you for your informaiton, Melissa.

Well, we tried various stuffs this time.  Making long story short, we had 'bandwidth' error when she activated the video pod.  So the things didn't work... 

Here is the list of what we did.

- increase virtual memory
- change the room seetings to be DSL
- the computer is restarted right before she comes into the room
- not opening anything but Connect Pro Meeting
- started off with activating audio, then activate the video pod.
- unplugged anything but webcam and headset from any USB ports

Unfortunately, we couldn't get the problem to be solved.  I guess I have to think that her computer was old with limited memory...

Takeshi

#12 2009-02-17 12:01:44

**_roysdenc_**

This may sound silly, but if she is using an old computer, what are the odds that the USB is USB 1.0 rather than USB 2.0?  I am sure that could make a difference as well.

Chris

#13 2009-02-17 15:19:15

**_tsengiku_**

Thank you for your information, Chris.  Yes, it may be something to do with the version of USB.  But I can't do much now. 

If USB headset and webcam don't work for any applications such as Skype, Adobe, and so forth, I may suggest purchasing the analog headset or adding memory.  Since webcam and headset work in Skype, I can't suggestion these things just for Adobe.  The online meeting will only be less than 10 times.  She just has to do audio-only in Adobe Online Meeting.   

Takeshi

Board footer