Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-01-21 10:50:53

**_kbconn_**

disruptive audio

Hi,

today i was in charge of the technical moderation of a meeting with approximately 30 people. one presenter with audio and slides. audio of the presenter broke down completely. another presenter in the same house could help out.
part of the audience could follow without problems, but there have been regular complaints that there was no audio. we recorded the meeting, the recording is ok.

we run version 7 but still without sp1 because this causes some trouble with presenter presentations.

there are a lot of complaints about audio quality and at the moment we do not see how to solve the problem. audio transmission is crucial. we already experience people switching to skype formerly using connect.

kathrin

#2 2009-01-21 12:03:10

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: disruptive audio

The problem you are having is because you are on Connect 7 (SP0?). Service Pack 2 (sorry SP1) resolved the VoIP issues by setting the Advanced Audio settings to off by default, where as with C7 it is on by default. These settings, while filled with great potential, are so system and bandwidth intensive, that you end up with broken and buffered audio. To avoid this problem you need to do one of two things:

1. Have everyone in the Connect room go through the audio set up wizard and at step 5 go to advanced audio and un-check the box at the upper left hand corner. If even one person in the room has it on it may cause problems (even if that person is not broadcasting audio)

2. Upgrade to SP2 (make that SP1). Many issues have been resolved with that service pack besides audio. I've not found a document at adobe.com about the updates, but I'm sure someone has it and posting it here would be appreciated.

Those are the two options I know of to resolve this issue while still using VoIP. The only other solution is to go to Premiere or MeetinOne to have an integrated phone bridge.

Last edited by **_Jorma_at_RealEyes_** (2009-01-21 12:16:04)

#3 2009-01-21 12:12:18

**_roysdenc_**

Jorma - My understanding is SP2 is coming out in a couple of weeks (first week of Feb).  Has this changed without them telling us?  I justspoke to my Adobe contact on Monday and he was still saying Feb.  If you know something I don't, please do tell.  Also, if you have release notes, I would love to get ahold of them to know what fixes are included.

thanks
Chris

#4 2009-01-21 12:14:10

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

I may have miss-typed there. I guess it was SP1 that did that, I've only heard as much about SP2 as you have (not much).

That's what I get for posting pre-coffee. ;)

#5 2009-01-21 13:54:01

**_dyun_**

What else was going on in the meeting when the audio problems started?  Just showing PowerPoint Slides?  Showing Video or other bandwidth intensive activities?  Do you know the connection speeds of the attendees who were having problems with hearing audio?

One alternative might be to set the room bandwidth to DSL (via the Meeting > Room Performance & Appearance > Optimize Room Performance  > DSL/Cable).  This will prompt the room to balance quality with amount of bandwidth being pushed to participants, so if they are one a slower connection, they will be able to "keep up" with the activities of the meeting.

Best,
David

#6 2009-01-22 10:50:20

**_kbconn_**

hi,

well, i sort of hesitate let people go through the audio wizard and uncheck an option in the last step. with a certain amount of people there is no certainty that this is done. these users are no technies and they are just required to listen to a presentation and not speak themselves. interactions goes via chat.  there was no video, only slides, bandwidth to dsl. i had no indication of anyone that bandwidth was not sufficient. i turned on the option in the participant list.

if the difficulties result from enhanced audio turned on we will still have to wait to apply it. as for now we get problems with presenter presentations with sp1. we are in contact with adobe support but so far we did not get any results.

kathrin

Board footer