Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-12-02 14:29:10

**_dwyerjp_**

Powerpoint to Presenter text issue

Hi,

I have a PowerPoint 2003 file (though I'm viewing it in compatibility mode in PP 2007) with a couple of 'non-standard' characters. They look fine in PowerPoint but when I publish them to the Connect server and view them, the characters are different - but only in superscript. They appear fine when not superscripted. Is there somewhere anyone knows of where Adobe has mapped out what characters from PowerPoint Windows map to when converted to Connect?

By the way, the characters I'm working with are the 'dagger' (Alt+0134), the 'sector' (Alt+0167), and the 'double dagger' (Alt+0135) in Arial.

#2 2008-12-03 11:40:48

**_roysdenc_**

Re: Powerpoint to Presenter text issue

Welcome to the club!  I doubt that there is a list of supported characters because I can't even find a list of supported fonts.  I have Premier Support, and the best they can do is say if you have a problem call us.  I just get tired of calling with every presentation.

Today my issue was with Arial Narrow font size 18 not working correctly.  When I changed it to other font sizes, everything works fine, but some text that was at size 18 would have the same wrapping issues Connect has been having problems with.  It works in PP, but when Adobe touches it, it goes to hell in a hand basket. 

So, to my knoweldge, there is no list of what the do support, only an ever growing list of what they don't.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

-Chris

#3 2008-12-03 11:48:02

**_dwyerjp_**

Thanks Chris. I know what you mean about the growing list of what isn't supported. I have Platinum Support and on these types of issues it seems like we're educating them, not the other way around. I guess the thing that makes this a little different is the fact that the characters show up as along as they aren't superscripted. So Connect/Presenter recognizes the font-character code but when you put the superscript tag in front of it, the character code changes.

#4 2008-12-10 16:08:17

**_ac_**

I had no trouble publishing the same characters (Alt+0134)

#5 2008-12-10 16:25:47

**_roysdenc_**

AC -

It is interesting to know that you were able to publish the same characters without problem.  It also supports what I said about how some times things work fine, and other times they don't.  What version of office and presenter are you using?  If you have office 07, are you publishing as a .ppt or .pptx?

-Chris

#6 2008-12-10 16:31:19

**_dwyerjp_**

AC and Chris,

I'm currently working on putting up a link to the objectionable content. I worked around it by exporting the original PPT slides as pictures and then putting them back into slides so the conversion wouldn't touch the characters.

As I said above, I'm using a PPT 2003 file viewed in PPT 2007 in compatibility mode. I'm using Presenter 7 published to Connect Pro 6 SP3 (licensed).

#7 2008-12-10 16:41:30

**_dwyerjp_**

Ok, here's a link to two of the problem slides. I've circled the offending character in red on each slide. The character that's supposed to be there is

#8 2008-12-10 16:50:01

**_ac_**

Yes - I can see the problem in the link sent in previous post. I was publishing to a C7 server. I will try the same ppt file with a C6sp3 server.

#9 2008-12-10 16:52:57

**_ac_**

BTW - I went through the link again. The font used does not look like Arial. Can you confirm which font is being used?

#10 2008-12-10 16:53:00

**_dwyerjp_**

Cheers AC!

You have servers running two different versions of Connect? Can I ask why and how you get people to the correct server (outside of different url's).

John

#11 2008-12-10 16:54:13

**_dwyerjp_**

It is Arial.

#12 2008-12-10 17:25:22

**_ac_**

I'm stumped.. Seems like your Alt-0134

#13 2008-12-10 17:59:12

**_dwyerjp_**

I could send it to you if I get my client's permission. Would that work?

#14 2008-12-11 13:27:14

**_ac_**

That will work. Even if you can send me a ppt - with just the one problem slide, whose output you shared - that'll work too.

#15 2008-12-11 13:44:07

**_ac_**

You can send the ppt to the one time use email id one77ecb5e95bc4@getonemail.com

-Ac.

#16 2008-12-11 14:09:14

**_ac_**

Got the file - but could not reproduce the problem using Presenter 7.0.1 (PowerPoint-2007)

Do note that when you publish to connect from within Presenter - first the content is published locally, zipped up, and then uploaded to Connect content library.
So are you able to reproduce this problem, if you publish content to a local folder?

What is the exact version of Presenter you're using. (You can check it from the About Adobe Presenter dialog)

-Ac.

#17 2008-12-11 14:13:14

**_dwyerjp_**

Presenter 7.0.2, Connect Pro 6 (SP3), PPT 2007

I'll have to check on publishing locally in a little while.

So when you upload it, you see the dagger symbol?

#18 2008-12-11 14:32:37

**_dwyerjp_**

Publishing locally, the PowerPoint file looks like it should, i.e., the

#19 2008-12-11 16:08:11

**_roysdenc_**

I know I had issue trying to use Presenter 6 with Conenct 7, but not sure if there would be similar problems going from Presenter 7 to Connect 6 SP3.  I am curious as to if that may be part of the problem.  I know that we had a large number of issues using presentations created in PowerPoint 07 when used with Connect 6 (even when saved as .ppt), so that may be some of the problem as well.

Do we know if Presenter 7 is backwards compatible with Connect 6?

-Chris

#20 2008-12-11 16:13:12

**_dwyerjp_**

Hi Chris,

Yes, we had many issues with formatting when we used PPT 2007 with Presenter 7 and Connect 6 (SP2 then). We've just stopped using PPT 2007 natively and always use it in compatible mode. Adobe now lists all the issues we had with that combination on their help pages as known issues.

As far as backward compatibility, I asked that specifically of an Adobe Platinum support rep who said that they had a couple known problems but they were minor and didn't include anything like this.

#21 2008-12-11 16:18:15

**_roysdenc_**

We had issues with Connect 6 SP2 and SP3, so we avoided Office 07 at all costs until Connect 7 released.  The thing with the problem you are having is that it is similar to my text issue, but they have no idea what causes it.  I have other support calls with Adobe that they are working on where something deep in the code that runs Connect occasionally returns a faulty condition.  In that specific case, there were problems in event driven parts of the program.  This is definately not that, but who knows.  What may be helpful is for you to get a support case created with Adobe and to reference my support case as another example.  Are you in a position where you can get a support case created with Adobe?

-Chris

#22 2008-12-11 16:33:23

**_dwyerjp_**

Chris,

Yes, I have Platinum Support with Adobe. I can open a case with them. I just figured I'd have better/quicker response here - you know, why re-invent the wheel. I appreciate the effort you and AC have put in on this with me. I think you're probably right that it's time to call Adobe.

#23 2008-12-15 10:26:10

**_roysdenc_**

If you want to reference it with yours as another example, I believe the case number for my request is 180584021.

-Chris

#24 2008-12-15 10:28:26

**_dwyerjp_**

Great, Chris. I'll speak with them this afternoon.

John

Board footer