Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2016-03-17 00:21:53

ghickey

Can poor participant connection adversely affect host

We've run quite a few successful Adobe Connect sessions without any significant problems. Unfortunately, we have one repeating meeting that is consistently problematic. We have lots of audio problems (host cutting out, microphones not working), and the host may be dropped completely up to several times in a meeting.

What's odd is that we run a simultaneous session that shares many of the same characteristics, including being hosted from the same place, and it runs without any problems. This has happened every week for about four weeks.

It seems unlikely, but is it possible for a bad connection or hardware problem from one or more participants to compromise the host's connection? Could it cause a host who otherwise has a good connection to drop out?

#2 2016-03-17 01:16:44

cuc1458194434

Re: Can poor participant connection adversely affect host

It is unlikely for any users to cause such issue in the meeting. I would check the bandwidth setting for the meeting. High bandwidth setting (Room Bandwidth) could cause the such issue in the meeting where the network bandwidth is not sufficient for HD contents.

This should help:
https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/kb/best-practice-using-voip-connect.html

#3 2016-03-17 10:51:46

Jorma_at_CoSo

Since it is isolated to one user, I would see if they experience different behavior if they host on a different computer.

#4 2016-03-17 17:34:23

ghickey

Jorma_at_RealEyes wrote:

Since it is isolated to one user, I would see if they experience different behavior if they host on a different computer.

Thanks for the response.

I left some details out, as it's a long explanation. In short, we've tried several computers, but mostly on the same network.

Session A (no problems) - four sessions hosted from a Mac on a fast university network, a personal Windows 10 Surface Pro 3 or 4 on the same network (wireless), and on a computer at home (I think a Mac).

Session B (lots of problems, run at the same time as session A) - four sessions hosted from several different institution-managed Windows 7 PCs on the fast university network.

I thought maybe the university was running some sort of checks or updates on its PCs at that time. However, doing so at 5 to 6 pm on a Wednesday seemed unlikely, and our IT support said there was nothing like that being run.

#5 2016-03-17 17:39:26

Jorma_at_CoSo

Fair enough, have you tried creating a new meeting room for them to use and see if maybe there is something corrupted in the on having problems.

#6 2016-03-17 18:19:00

ghickey

Jorma_at_RealEyes wrote:

Fair enough, have you tried creating a new meeting room for them to use and see if maybe there is something corrupted in the on having problems.

Thanks for another tip.

I hadn't thought of that, but yes, we've used two different meeting rooms now. The one used the other night was new and hadn't been used for any previous meetings. We had three pdf files uploaded to it.

#7 2016-03-17 18:23:14

ghickey

cuc1458194434 wrote:

It is unlikely for any users to cause such issue in the meeting. I would check the bandwidth setting for the meeting. High bandwidth setting (Room Bandwidth) could cause the such issue in the meeting where the network bandwidth is not sufficient for HD contents.

This should help:
https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/kb/best-practice-using-voip-connect.html

Thanks for the info. I've looked through quite a few of the Adobe tips and had seen this setting. However, my version does not provide a meeting bandwidth setting, or at least not where described in this article (I'm running version 9.5.2 and add-in version WIN 11.9.974.231).

I could try changing the video and audio settings to decrease data usage, though this doesn't explain why one session is fine and the other so problematic, unless Connect prioritises some sessions over others.

#8 2016-03-18 11:05:27

Jorma_at_CoSo

Honestly, you may need to work directly with Adobe Support to identify what is causing this isssue. I'd reach out them at 800-945-9120 or start a conversation here: https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/connect-support.html

You may need to have that user enable logging for the Adobe Add-in to see if that helps reveal some conflict or issue for them. That can be done through this process: https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/kb/enable-logging-acrobat-connect-professional.html

#9 2016-03-18 11:06:46

Jorma_at_CoSo

ghickey wrote:

This should help: https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/kb/best-practice-using-voip-connect.html

Thanks for the info. I've looked through quite a few of the Adobe tips and had seen this setting. However, my version does not provide a meeting bandwidth setting, or at least not where described in this article (I'm running version 9.5.2 and add-in version WIN 11.9.974.231).

I could try changing the video and audio settings to decrease data usage, though this doesn't explain why one session is fine and the other so problematic, unless Connect prioritises some sessions over others.

Right, that option went away with Connect 9. Now you'll need to adust the audio quality settings for VoIP specifically. You may also try using the Speex codec and see if that helps.

Board footer