Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-08-26 09:17:35

**_swartz4209_**

Using Presenter with Captivate

Hi, I've downloaded a trial of presenter to see if we can use it to create better on-demand training materials.  Currently I'm using Captivate for both demonstrations as well as the text and graphic slides.  I also currently record voice over directly into Captivate.

The main reason I'm considering Presenter is that it produces a nicer finish.  The 'skin' settings in Captivate are very limited and I like the user empowering options of the way Presenter outputs with an automatic menu and navigation possiblities which alow for minute scrolling within slides and also informs the user exactly the place they're at in the training and the total training time.

I wish that Captivate would just add more options to the skin settings to accomodate for these sorts of options.  I'm wondering if there are additional reasons for using presenter?

Also the main problem I'm running into is that when I test inserting a Captivate demonstration into PowerPoint using Presenter it inserts it very small - regardless of how I recorded it in Captivate.  When I stretch it or resize it the quality gets bad.  I'm sure I'm missing a setting as I've heard many people import Captivate created swf files using Presenter for demos.  Can anyone advise me about how to it to get a viewable swf?

Also any general advise about the pros/cons of using Captivate with Presenter would be appreciated.  I've already read up a bit on the whole full motion recording situation.  Are there any additional pros to working with the two together?

Many thanks and best regards,
Aimee

#2 2008-08-28 19:57:35

**_dyun_**

Re: Using Presenter with Captivate

Hi Aimee,

There is a lot in your post so I'm going to try to respond to each item one-by-one.

Also the main problem I'm running into is that when I test inserting a Captivate demonstration into PowerPoint using Presenter it inserts it very small - regardless of how I recorded it in Captivate.  When I stretch it or resize it the quality gets bad.

This all depends on the size of your original Captivate recording.  If you know before you go ahead and record your Captivate movie that you are going to embed it in Presenter as a full slide, make sure that you set your Captivate movie size to: 720 x 540 Adobe Connect Server - Full Slide

captivate-capture.jpg

If you record your movie at a different size then try to resize it in Presenter, this will result in the resolution issues you are probably experiencing. 

When you get to the point where you insert the generated SWF onto the slide, it will NOT import at the correct size, so what you need to do is the following:

1. drag the SWF to the upper left hand edge of the slide
2. hold down the shift key and drag the lower left hand corner until the entire slide is filled.

There are two great resources on the web that will help you get started with the integration between the two.

Captivate Product Marketing Manager Silke Fleischer published a great article on this on the Captivate Developer Center entitled Using Adobe Captivate 2 content with Adobe Acrobat Connect Enterprise Server and Adobe Presenter.  Even though the article says its for Captivate 2, it still applies for Captivate 3.

Rob Rode has posted on his blog about this topic: http://robrode.blogspot.com/2008/03/int … -with.html

Are there any additional pros to working with the two together?

I might be biased, but I think the two work together to give you a toolset that allows you to create virtually any type of training content. 
Since you are an avid Captivate user, I don't need to sell you on when to use Captivate, but there are some instances where using Presenter will make your job easier.  For example

* If you are using PowerPoint as a way to mock up or work with SMEs on your training, then using Presenter is a logical move as the PPT slides remain editable through multiple iterations whereas in Captivate the PPT slides are no longer editable once you import them. 

* If you want to make your presentations searchable and have control over other ways in which the content can be presented, then Presenter provides end users with that option and Captivate does not

* If you want a way to add "talking head video" easily, Presenter allows for this simply by having a webcam.

* If you want to author mobile content, Presenter enables that, Captivate does not currently

These are just some of the instances where using Presenter is ideal.  There is a nice comparison chart on Adobe.com that goes over some of these instances.  Click here to view.

Hope that helps,
David

#3 2008-08-29 02:23:11

**_swartz4209_**

Dyun - first off - Many, many thanks.  The information and links to relevant articles is just the information I was seaching for.  I really appreciate your input.

There's a couple of other small issues I've run into when testing it which perhaps you can advise me about.

Firstly - when I import a .cp movie and puplish the presentation and watch it in presenter the timing for the slide with the .cp file on it seems to default to the default timing for the PowerPoint slides - even though the .cp demo is longer.  If however, I navigate to the .cp slide using the side menu then the entire .cp movie plays but the presentation does not automatically move on to the nect slide afterwards.  I'm sure there must be some settings I'm missing to control this sort of thing but I can't find it.

I'm also going to read the tips & tricks in the articles you linked to and perhaps will find the answer there.

But regardless - thanks again for your input.  I do think presenter has a lot of default functionality to easily output a very professional finish.

Best regards,
Aimee

#4 2008-08-29 04:18:20

**_swartz4209_**

Update:  I did find this setting myself.
For those who may find this conversation later I'll post it:
On the Adobe Presenter menu select 'manage flash' then select the Captivate movies you want to be controled by presenter.  It's also possible to 'advane by the user'.  This is covered in the article by Silke that Dyun linked to in his post.

Board footer