Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2007-12-03 07:05:19

**_thomasattrp_**

Flash Video Specs

Cannot find anywhere the specifications for converting video into Flash Video files.  Converted some video and the file sizes increased substantially. Have been told that file sizes should decrease substantially. Who knows what settings to use?  Is there a place on the web that explains this?

I'm a new/novice user and love the product.  Took forever to load my videos in Share pod.  Thanks.

#2 2007-12-03 11:30:57

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: Flash Video Specs

What product are you using to convert the videos?

Flash 8 will convert any video format to FVL or SWF as well as Sorensen Squeeze and many others. In my experience the FLV videos are significantly smaller.

Jorma_at_RealEyes

#3 2007-12-03 14:52:25

**_thomasattrp_**

Using a trial version of Wondershare found on the web.  Since asking the above question, found this link to Presenter presentation on how to use videos in Presenter:  https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a39122 … presenter/
In slide six labled "Video Guidelines" it is very specific as to the resolution, etc of videos for the talking head, slide, and full slide.  Imagine that these would also work for AC Pro. Think my problem is not adusting the resolution to 240 x 180 for talking heads and no greater than 720 x 540 for larger videos.  Will experiment and see what happens. Cannot find an AC PRO user manual online.

#4 2007-12-03 17:04:26

**_Terry_at_RefinedData_com_**

Hi Tom,

The FLVs that you create for talking head videos must use the Sorenson codec otherwise they will not play in Presenter. Many of the newer encoders automatically convert your video to the newer VP6 codec which is not currently supported in Presenter.

You can create Sorenson encoded files in Flash 8 or Sorenson Squeeze (we're a reseller if you're interested) but other programs may not give you the choice.

Adding video to the slide body (instead of the side-panel) creates other problems since Presenter currently has no ability to add FLVs except to the side-panel. Since users may or may not see the side-panel depending on their window-size or other options they may end up hearing your audio but not see the video.

When you add video to the slide body, you need to create the output as a SWF file encoded using the Sorenson codec. SWF files have limits on their size (physical size & maximum number of frames) and the longer they are, the longer they take to buffer. For example, a 5 minute video may take 2-3 minutes to buffer before you can start playback. Longer content becomes impractical especially if you want larger video sizes. This can create significant issues for your users. You should keep the video frame size as small as possible to mitigate this problem when creating SWF based video.

For best playback of video regardless of length, it's much preferred to render your content as VP6 encoded FLV files and then launch these from within your presentation at any size that makes sense for your viewers.

Our RefinedVideo product does exactly this, as well as providing a variety of other benefits. To learn more, just check out our posting in the Partner Offerings section of this forum

Good Luck,

Terry

#5 2007-12-03 20:03:37

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Yes be sure to publish the videos to Flash 7. Currently Presenter 6.2 only supports up to Flash 7 and if you are using Presenter 6.1 you need to publish to Flash 6. Though I don't think you need Sorenson, any conversion software should work fine.

Presenter should re-sized the video as needed, but having the correct resolution from the beginning may help with keeping the video clear.

Jorma_at_RealEyes

#6 2007-12-10 04:34:28

**_Blik_**

Well, for the Talking Heads I always use the On2 Codec with Presenter 6.0.432 and it works like a charm. (240x180)

Regards
Blik

#7 2007-12-11 11:34:05

**_ljansen_**

I use a very inexpensive conversion software that works like a charm - Sothink Video Encoder for Adobe Flash.  It's very easy to use and the price was less than $50.

Here's the link:

http://www.sothink.com/product/flashvideoencoder/

Good Luck!

Leigha Jansen
Audiology Online

#8 2008-02-11 14:25:54

**_MelissaFreundAO_**

I work with lJansen and the SoThink converter is fantastic for us "Non-Flash" users to convert almost any type of video easily to a Connect friendly FLV file.

Enjoy!

Melissa

#9 2008-02-11 14:27:50

**_MelissaFreundAO_**

As a side note, you mentioned it takes forever to convert files into a Share Pod. It really is best that you upload your videos to your content folder first and then use the Share pod in a session to open items from that content folder. This is also true for PowerPoints.

#10 2008-07-21 04:19:10

**_David767_**

I use program - Video to Flash Converter Pro, is pleasant to me much more.

#11 2008-07-21 16:16:03

**_thomasattrp_**

At the recommendation above, I ordered and use the Sothink converter. Easy to use. However, I haven't been able to settle on the various requirments for use of the SWF videos in Presenter.  Can someone answer the following specs you find that work:
Audio Bit rate
Audio Sample Rate
Video Bit Rate
Frame rate (Understand Presenter requires 30, but told 15 better)
Key frame interval (and what is this?)
Zoom Mode

Know these are basic to most  but have looked all over Adobe site for answers.  No problem getting videos into Connect Pro that work fine.

I certainly appreciate the wisdom and help of this group.

Thanks.

Board footer