Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2014-01-20 01:48:01

Wedt

Retro-coding for collaboration builder SDK?

Hi

My company has a large number of presentation-style Flash files which we want to use through Adobe Connect.  As we did not build these using the Collaboration Builder SDK, currently when we run them, there is no sync functionality (users all see a different, unsynched version of the file which doesn't work well for a presentation).

These files are fairly simple but there are a lot of them.  I wondered if anyone had any experience of retrospectively adapting simple files using the Collaboration Bulder SDK.

My main questions are:
1) What are the main steps you have to take?
2) What kind of workload is entailed (I know this depends on the file, but I am only looking for something as simple as 'lots' or 'not much')

Your thoughts?

#2 2014-01-20 10:23:31

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Retro-coding for collaboration builder SDK?

I would think it would take 'lots' of work to go back and re-build these projects with the Collaboration Builder SDK in them. I am not a developer, but from my limited knowledge this seems like a lot of work.

It may be faster, and ultimately more cost effective to embed the SWFs in a PPT slide using Adobe Presenter. This would ultimately include the Collaboration Builder SDK and may not require any Flash work with your SWFs.

The one thing to be cautious of is if your SWFs were built using AS2, then there will likely be issues when using them in Connect, as it is an AS3 application and the two versions of Action Script don't play well together.

#3 2014-01-20 12:28:25

dbrennan

You say these were built in Flash? Then I'll assume all you want to sync is the start/advancement of your frames on the timeline. That's not difficult, but depending on the number of these you have it could be time-consuming. You'll just need to build a function which passes some key about the *next* slide when it's advanced by a Host, and hide the ability to advance slides from all but the host.

#4 2014-01-22 09:52:04

alistairlee

If the presentations all work in a similar manner, It may be possible to build a single wrapper SWF that loads in and synchronizes the presentations.

Years ago, one of our systems engineers wrote a very small, very simple SWF that would synchronize the Flash output of Apple Keynote (Keynote no longer exports to Flash) so that Keynote slides could be synchronized.

Unfortunately, I don't have the code anymore - but I remember it was a very basic program with only a small amount of code.

#5 2014-01-23 00:27:57

DElsworth

Many thanks for your replies, I will discuss further with our development team.  If we come up with a solution I will post for posterity.

Board footer