Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2012-11-07 18:22:57

**_CB_**

FLV Playback in C8 and C9

I have an FLV file...When I upload the file to my local, licensed Connect 8 server, it will not play. I get the content popup but the screen just appears to persistently load and never plays. I upgraded to 9 and get the same behavior.

Now here's the weird part....

When I upload that same file to an Adobe hosted account, it plays....lke a champ....

The Adobe Hosted account, surprisingly, is C8.2.2.0....

The Flash player under all scenarios is 11.5.x

An ideas?

What on earth is the Hosted server doing to the uploaded file that my licensed server is not?

#2 2012-11-08 08:55:27

**_Jstegenga_**

Re: FLV Playback in C8 and C9

That is odd.
Try converting the file to MP4 and see if that helps.
8.2 should support MP4 playback just fine.

#3 2012-11-08 10:03:22

**_CB_**

I could give that a try but it's a client server and content. I want to figure this out as opposed to telling them they need to additionally convert the file.  It is, after all, an FLV, a supported file format. And, ultimately, it's not really about getting it to work so much as it's about trying to figure out the differences.

One of the things I should add is that there is an entry in the logs on the licensed server indicating an invalid codec.

Thread-18 (ERROR) ######################## invalid codec: 4

What's interesting, also, is that this log entry appears to be a result of the upload, not the content request. The actual content request (the GET) doesn't appear to display any errors.

So, when I upload the file to the Content folder, it is seemingly analyzed and deemed as not being valid due to it's inherent codec...

Yet it is fine on Hosted?

I tried downloading the Hosted file and uploading that content to the licensed server to see if there was actually any change to the file by the Hosted upload...same result on Licensed, it wouldn't play.

So, can codec's be added to the Connect server? It doesn't appear to be anything Connect 'out of the box' is doing. Can something be changed on the server that affects the overall functionality of Connect and it's ability to playback different codecs?

#4 2012-11-08 10:47:14

**_CB_**

Alright, well, here's what I've learned...

Of course, playback of FLV content in Connect is done via an FMS server. Flash Media Server doesn

#5 2012-11-08 11:17:57

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

An FLV using the VP6 codec should work just fine. It may be worth having them restart the FMS server to see if there is just something there that is causing the issue.

You are correct in the FMS functionality. It does not encode. But it seems like there must be something on the client server that is failing to upload, or corrupting the upload. Have you pulled the presentation down from the client server and then uploaded it to the Hosted server to see if the functionality still works?

Does the client have an Anti-virus program running on their server?

#6 2012-11-08 11:47:08

**_CB_**

No on the AV.

I just completed an upgrade on the server so it's been bounced numerous times to no effect. And it was an upgrade to 8.2, so a complete install of the fms, and I upgraded their dev enviro to 9, so an updated version of the FMS, also (C9 ships with FMS4, right?), and the same behavior exists in dev as in prod.

I just downloaded the content from the licensed server and uploaded it to the Hosted server, as per your suggestion, wondering if the file transfer was causing some sort of corruption. It played just fine.

#7 2012-11-08 11:52:16

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Hm, may be time to call Platinum support. See if they know something.

#8 2012-11-11 09:07:25

**_CB_**

So, I was finally able to get some network support on this.

I wondered if there was a firewall stripping out headers or preventing some element of content to get through internally, or whatever....

It ended up being much simpler than that....

The internal proxy vs the external proxy.

Externally, port 1935 was open, thus streaming content playback. Internally, different settings, port 1935 was not open on the VIP.

Issue resolved...Only took 4 days....Thus why there were no errors in the logs, the server doesn't know it's being blocked. It streams the content, what an appliance does with the stream it doesn't care.

#9 2012-11-12 10:53:06

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Port 1935 Strikes again.

Board footer