Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2012-08-15 07:39:59

**_robnicholson_**

Custom pods with new Adobe Connect Mobile

We love ACP and we've developed some really neat custom pods for voting. They work fine on computers but the existing version of Adobe Connect Mobile cannot handle custom pods (SWF) - it says "unsupported content".

Has this been fixed in the upcoming new version to coincide with v9?

I really, really, really hope the answer is yes.

Regards, Rob.

Last edited by **_robnicholson_** (2012-08-15 07:40:42)

#2 2012-08-15 10:54:36

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: Custom pods with new Adobe Connect Mobile

This issue is not a problem with Connect, or the mobile app. It is an issue with Apple and Android. The short version is that the custom pod is seen as a run-time change to the application, and that is not allowed by either environment. Adobe would happily allow this, but it is not possible at this time.

#3 2012-08-15 11:02:38

**_robnicholson_**

Hmm, that sounds like a bit of flimflam from Android. Apple I can half understand as I recall some law against any interpreted code except Objective C. But Google are surely less controlling? There isn't much difference from a bit of ActionScript running in a Flash file which is already accepted.

Why is running a bit of Flash Builder any different from running JavaScript in the browser or running ActionScript in Flash?

All it will do is futher the desire to move to other platforms. One could implement exactly the same custom pods in JavaScript with DHTML/JSCRIPT and a back-end messaging API.

But I did read somewhere that Adobe want to get rid of ACP.

Cheers, Rob.

PS. And yes, I've read about Adobe stopping support for Flash on Android.

#4 2012-08-15 11:09:30

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Not sure where you would have read about Adobe getting rid of Connect, as that is not the case at all.

Adobe is also not stopping support for Flash on Android, but they are no longer pursuing Flash on Mobile devices, instead focusing on using AIR to deliver Flash content to mobile devices. Adobe's press release was poorly worded and could give the impression that they are walking away from Flash, but that is not the case at all.

The restriction is the same for Apple and Android Apps. You can still join a Connect meeting through a web browser on an Android device and see the custom pods.

#5 2012-08-15 11:12:46

**_robnicholson_**

>The restriction is the same for Apple and Android Apps.

So how come Flash was allowed at all?

>You can still join a Connect meeting through a web browser on an Android device and see the custom pods.

We've had very limited success with this and the annoucement that no new tablets will get Flash means it's a deadend now. We need to know it'll work, not "maybe if you've got an old tablet".

Time to start looking elsewhere I suspect which is a shame as it works well. Not that I think there is a viable alternative yet. Another fancy a start-up? ;-)

Cheers, Rob.

Board footer