Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-03-19 15:10:34

**_jmusick_**

Laptop Video Capture - how to hook up a professional broadcast camera?

Hi,

I've seen some descriptions, in one other thread, about attempts to hook up camcorders, etc, to Acrobat Connect.  My question/scenario is similar, but with a couple specifics thrown in that might make it more challenging - as well as some preliminary information that I've found, but need some help verifying (if someone has done this).

From what I can tell there are at least 2 basic scenarios where one might hook up a video camera to Acrobat Connect, instead of a "webcam".

Scenario 1:
  The first, and slightly simpler, scenario is using a video camera that has an IEEE 1394 (aka Firewire, aka iLink) output. Using both a mac and a pc - this turned out to be reasonably straightforward.  The problem, I have found, is that many/most of these cameras are consumer/prosumer models that typically don't have the range of 'real broadcast cameras' - or specifically the cameras that many AV companies show up with for large conferences or keynote addresses

Scenario 2:
  A large conference room with a keynote (for example), where an AV company shows up with a "broadcast camera" - these cameras don't (yet) seem to have Firewire output - but rather the AV people talk about providing a line-split of their video out.  It seems that most of the cameras offer 3 video outputs: a) component b) composite c) s-video.  All of these are analog video signals, even if the camera itself is recording digitally.

So what I'm trying to figure out is the best way to take Scenario 2 and get it broadcasting with Acrobat Connect - preferably using a laptop, since this may be done in different conference rooms, etc.

What I've found thus far is that a video capture card should handle this - but there seem to be quite a few of these (though not as many external ones that can be used with laptops).  The difficulty is they tend to range from around $100 to around $2000 - and it isn't entirely clear what the difference is. For example:
1. Pinnacle Video Capture for Mac OS X ($100)
2. Creative Labs Video Blaster Editor for Windows ($200)
3. AJA Io LA External Video Capture Device ($1000)
4. Osprey 230 (I don't think this will work with Laptops, but putting it here because it comes up in posts a lot)

Questions
Q1: there a substantive difference between the $100 and $200 options?
Q2: Is the main/only difference between the $200 and $1000 option the fact that the AJA is outputting uncompressed video signal?

It seems to me that compressed would be the way to go for doing a live-feed, as uncompressed would be too much data/bandwidth (unless somehow the computer then compresses when passing through to Acrobat Connect).

I don't care whether I host the session on a PC or Mac - I just want to be able to hook up a Sony DXCD50 Broadcast camera in such a fashion that I can webcast the event.

Any help/thoughts? I think as webcasting moves beyond the "small conference room" scenario this will be more important - and in fact Adobe's blog describes the scenario - but doesn't go into many technical details that would help figure out how to set this up:
http://blogs.adobe.com/acrobatconnect/2 … eting.html

Thank you for any input, and if I get it working I'll post how.
-James

#2 2008-03-19 17:22:23

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: Laptop Video Capture - how to hook up a professional broadcast camera?

James,

Just to give you an idea of how the external camera can work, here is a link to a recording done for the State of Colorado. The recording is of Governor Bill Ritter and was broadcast and recorded so that people around the state could watch the speech at any time without having to drive to Denver to see him.

Colorado

#3 2008-03-27 14:44:44

**_jmusick_**

Unfortunately it's not a matter of us purchasing (or not) a "professional broadcast camera" - it's already done/being-used.  The recording we're doing is in a very large room...with ~1000 people - so the camera used (in the back) has to be a big one.

What I've found is that many of these broadcast cameras don't output firewire, but only offer composite/component/s-video - so the signal needs to be converted from digital to analog. Apparently some new broadcast cameras have SDI - but still computers don't take SDI (I believe, haven't confirmed/seen), so this would need to be converted to something that one could plug in to a computer.

I've found out, since my original post, that the AV companies seem to use a "Sony DVCam" digital recorder or VTR. I'm not sure of a model # or which type, but  that is what I saw being used, but I'm guessing something like the Sony DSR-45/DSR-45P or DSR-25 is what it was.

If anyone has knowledge/recommendations about
a) which VTR would be best for simple A->D conversion
b) if these VTRs are significantly better (for some reason) than the cheap $100 pinnacle piece of equipment...

Thanks!
-James

#4 2008-03-27 14:46:06

**_jmusick_**

Also - the link that you've posted to the Gov's speech does not seem to work, at least for me. A window opens, shows the Acrobat "connecting" (or perhaps "opening" - but nothing happens.

-James

#5 2008-03-31 12:49:25

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

The link seems to work fine for me....

Jorma_at_RealEyes

#6 2008-04-03 15:27:11

**_floyddavenport_**

James, we have use the Canopus ADVC300 with pretty good luck.

http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC300/index.php

#7 2008-04-11 15:47:15

**_creed_**

Hi James-
We have been using a DataVideo DAC-100 analog to DV coverter box for a number of years and have had great luck with it.  It has since been replaced by the DAC-200, (which unfortunately, also was discontinued).  The latter is still available widely as new stock for around $180.  Runs fine for both Windows and Mac. Handles both composite and S-Video.

Specs:
http://datavideo.us/fs/products/dac200_fs.htm
FAQ:
http://datavideo.us/fs/support/faqs_dac200_fs.htm
Some vendors:
http://www.google.com/products?q=datavi … en&show=dd

Good luck.
-Craig

PS- Will some admin please get rid of the SPAM?

Last edited by **_creed_** (2008-04-11 16:02:21)

#8 2008-04-29 09:52:02

**_jameslloyd_**

I just got a Hauppage usb adaptor and it's working just fine. It has both composite and s-video inputs and is recognized by Windows at the system level as a capture device (which means you do NOT need to install the crappy software that comes with the adaptor).

See this thread: http://www.connectusers.com/forums/cucb … php?id=894

See the product:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067U4X

And don't bother asking Adobe - they don't care!

Board footer