Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2011-08-31 15:54:27

**_blakerich_**

old recordings not playing back

Good Afternoon,
  I recently upgraded a Connect 7 sp3 box to 7.5 and then to 8 sp1.  Everything seemed to go fine, but users came back two weeks later complaining that some, but not all, previous recordings were not playing back.  Looking that the content directories, everything seems to be in place.  New recordings playback fine.

The recordings which do not play back sit at screen which says "Adobe Connect Meeting" with a green bar underneath that has 'Connecting' to the left of it.

Has anyone seen anything like this and have suggestions for troublshooting?

#2 2011-09-01 09:49:20

**_TrevorMartin_**

Re: old recordings not playing back

Yes that happened to me when I upgraded from v6 to v8 with all the versions in between. It only seems to affect maybe a third of them. I've gone through the debug logs countless times and have come to the conclusion that the database gets beaten up as it goes through the Connect upgrader. Every time I try to load a "broken" recording, the response from the logs is an SQL warning stating that there is no content that matches the sco-id. The database tables look fine, however.

This is not the only problem I've had with the database after upgrading. There have been a few things I've had to remove and add manually in SQL to stop weird things from happening. For example, I had a general Connect Admin account in the Administrators group that would lose privileges every day even though they were still in the admin group. I would have to delete the account and recreate it.

Bottom line is I don't think there is an easy fix, or a fix at all. Unless you feel comfortable enough with SQL to script the removal and addition of the recording's id everywhere in the database, you may have to declare them a casualty of the upgrade.

#3 2011-09-01 11:06:52

**_tlchurch_**

Is there a pattern to recordings that work vice those that don't? For example, do all recordings created while running Connect 6 not work while anything created in Connect 7 works?

#4 2011-09-01 11:16:54

**_TrevorMartin_**

It appears to be random throughout version 6 recordings. I was only on 7 and 7.5 long enough to follow the upgrade path to 8. All of the recordings created on version 8 work perfectly fine. Adobe agreed with me that the issue is in the database but has no idea how to fix it. I've still got an open ticket with their engineering team that's about 7 months old. Thankfully, the old recordings weren't terribly important and were approved to be deleted.

#5 2011-09-01 11:46:38

**_tlchurch_**

We have not yet upgraded and this would be an absolute disaster for us.

Do you mind providing the verbatim exception from the debug.log file when a broken recording is accessed? I'd be interested in trying to re-create once we start testing.

#6 2011-09-01 13:43:25

**_TrevorMartin_**

Well we have two servers running different instances of Connect. Luckily, the server that hosts and records live seminars started on version 7 and have functional recordings. The internal meeting server is what hosts the broken recordings and it started on version 6.

The log isn't an exception, it's an SQL error about not reading the database table correctly.

(ERROR) Invalid response com.macromedia.breeze.sco.DataManager$MapInfo$1@15569cf

followed by several optimization errors:

(ERROR) OPTIMIZE ME:  com.macromedia.breeze.sco.DAL.getTranscriptByTicket 2232 reads for 1 rows on Table 'PPS_TRANSCRIPTS'. Scan count 1, logical reads 2232, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

The database itself looks fine. This is what Adobe engineers have a ticket for.

I should say that the upgrade of the seminar server (7 -> 7.5 -> 8) worked fine with no DB problems.

The meeting server that started at 6 had major DB problems while the upgrader ran. I'd say as long as you keep a good backup of the DB before you start and confirm there were no glaring issues afterward then you'll have a successful upgrade.

#7 2011-09-02 01:45:37

**_blakerich_**

As I've looked into it further, there seems to be some sort of streaming problem from the meeting servers for these old recordings.  For me, all of them were made in Connect 7 sp3 (clean install).  I upgraded to 7.5 and then to 8 sp1 directly.  Comparing my content directories, I was missing 91571 files from the backup before to the content directory after.  I had the error where the 8 install couldn't run because it couldn't move the content directory where it wanted.  It may have tried and lost some of my recordings.

On one of the meeting recordings which was not playing, I found the content missing.  I restored it, but with no direct luck on the playback.  I then moved the recording to the content library and it played back fine with the original URL.   I'm in the process of receiving permission for some of my faculty to try this with some of their recordings in hopes that it works. If moving the recordings t the content library fixes the problem, it is definitely something we can work with.

Once or twice I've ended up with pop-up window complaining about the SSL encryption on the meeting server recording playback.  Most of the recordings were made without SSL enabled on the meeting server, and while it shouldn't make a difference, I'm wondering if something in the recorded meeting is still complaining about it....  I did have a certificate wrong.  I've tried disabling SSL and have completely refreshed the certificates now with no difference.  The feeling I get from watching the network traffic  (with a wireshark capture on the server and the client) is that it just can't seem to finish negotiating the protocol to stream the meeting recording over.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I'll let you know if moving more recordings over to the content library makes them usable.

#8 2011-09-06 08:54:50

**_TrevorMartin_**

I'm interested to know if this works. Keep us posted.

Board footer