Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2011-07-28 14:50:38

**_techchallenged_**

Videos play in Powerpoint but not when published

Dear all, I have tried to solve this through Adobe IT help, but they keep "escalating the ticket," ie, can't help.  Simply put - I have five very short videos, which I converted from MPG to MP4 at the suggestion of a help person, embedded into the powerpoint of a presentation. They will play when clicked within the  Powerpoint.  But when I publish the presentation (to desktop - from where I can load it into the presentation platform) they show as solid blocks of black that won't play.
     Yes, I've tried converting the video clips to other formats. Unsuccessfully.
     Yes, I have Presenter 7.0.6.
      I have Windows 2007 and I have Flash version 10.3.181.34, if that helps.
any ideas?

#2 2011-07-28 15:44:08

**_redhatperl_**

Re: Videos play in Powerpoint but not when published

Hi,

Windows 2007 .. eewhhh which version is that? Never heard of that :)-

Why you are converting MPG file, try the importing the MPG you have directly into presentation and see if it works.

#3 2011-07-28 15:47:48

**_techchallenged_**

Thanks, Noida.
Sorry, meant I have Microsoft Office 2007.
My clips won't embed if I keep them in MPG format.

#4 2011-07-28 18:11:43

**_dhwalker_**

techchallenged,
This may seem like a dumb question but, are you inserting the video using the PowerPoint Insert > Movie command?
If that's the case you need to delete the videos you've already inserted and use the Adobe Presenter > Insert Video command to add the videos to your presentation.

#5 2011-07-29 11:08:59

**_techchallenged_**

Dear Mr. Walker,
Ah! So. I need to explain that I resorted to using the Powerpoint video insert tool rather than Presenter insert tool because when I attempted to use Presenter, the entire slide went blank. That is, the existing slide had text in a right-hand text box to explain the video clip, and I was attempting to insert the clip in  the left-hand text box for the clip itself.  I now had a white slide and no indication of what was there - it looked as though everything had been lost.
    Based on your explanation I went ahead and published it, regardless.   The published presentation now plays the clip (applause, applause) but the text is invisible.  Is there no way to relegate the clip to only part of the slide?  (that is, inside a text box)
    If not I can do a workaround - thanks for your kindness.
    New problem - the quizzes have now disappeared in the published presentation (does that constitute a new question?)   Original PP = 39 slides; published version, 31.
    I will now excuse myself and go bang my head against the wall..
    TC

#6 2011-07-29 15:30:03

**_dhwalker_**

techchallenged
After you import the video click in the middle of the slide and see if you see little round handles appear indicating the location and size of the video. You can then move or resize the video if you like, put it anywhere on the slide. If you want it to appear at the top of the sidebar you can select that option when you import it or change the setting by clicking the Edit Video command.
By default the quiz question appear in their own pane in the sidebar, so the count in the Outline pane won't include them. You won't see the quiz pane until you get to the first quiz question.
If you need additional help feel free to contact InteSolv using the link below. We also offer training for Adobe Presenter which I highly recommend for all new users.

#7 2011-07-29 16:16:19

**_techchallenged_**

thanks - "handles" not apparent unless you click on screen - I appreciate the tip. Redid the slides so video clip each takes up one slide, which is just as well for visual impact.
   BUT quizzes still don't show. Used advanced options to explain wrong answers this time. wonder if that's a factor. Successfully published another, simpler module without advanced quiz options and the quizzes showed.
    May give you a buzz next week.

Board footer