Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2007-09-27 12:11:53

**_gajett_**

user cannot access chat pod

user cannot access/use the chat pod, but is successful in the share pod, audio/video, etc...
The individual indicates he can type into the chat box, but as soon as he tried to send --- poof!  no more text and nothing appears.

Any hints or suggestions as to why this may be?

Thanks,

Greg

#2 2007-09-27 12:27:14

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: user cannot access chat pod

Is the chat pod linked to a Q&A pod?

Jorma_at_RealEyes

#3 2007-09-27 12:43:37

**_gajett_**

nope.  just a plain chat pod.

#4 2007-09-27 13:31:30

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Perhaps in the pod opitions menu for the chat pod the "Enable Private Chat for Participants" is unchecked and he was, knowingly or unknowingly, trying to send a private chat?

Jorma_at_RealEyes

#5 2007-09-27 13:42:53

**_gajett_**

I will check with the host of this meeting and discuss this possibility with him.  He is learning Connect, and this seems a likely culprit.

Thanks!

#6 2007-09-27 13:51:30

**_gajett_**

Nope.  There were many others involved in the session who had no trouble chatting.
I do know that this individual is in Guatemala, and had to ask his ISP to open port 1935.  Is it possible that there is something else going on?

#7 2007-09-27 18:02:44

**_realeyes_jun_**

Greg,

Couple questions for you regarding this issue:

1. Are you using a Hosted or Licensed Connect Platform?
2. When did this start happening?
3. Any idea on the browser type and version the user with issues is using?
4. Has the user with chat pod issues been a meeting presenter or host in the past?

A couple places in the meeting room you could have this user go to get the information for you would be:

1. Help menu --> Troubleshooting (Click for image)

2. Help menu --> About Acrobat Connect (Click for image)

What I'm getting at is I don't think that has anything to do with Connect features or network issues with blocked ports.  I have a feeling it may be a bug in the Connect meeting tool, and if it can be reproduced might be something for you to pass on to Adobe support.

-Jun

#8 2007-09-28 08:30:10

**_gajett_**

Thanks, Jun
Here's what we've got:

1. licensed
2. ~1 week ago
3. no
4. sort of.  he has been elevated to presenter and all other pods work for him.

He (the guy having trouble) is supposed to be reporting this info to the actual meeting organizer, but he is in Guatemala, so I am unsure of when we may hear back from him.

I think I am going to recommend to the host to invite me to the meeting, too.  That way I won't have to keep asking questions through another party.

Thanks,

Greg

#9 2007-10-03 12:35:46

**_lbarzin_**

I just posted the exact same problem on the Adobe help site. I am admin for 23 users and created this new user last week on hosted site. As Host he can not see his chats nor can anyone else but everyone else can see theirs. I have created a new meeting (logged in as this user) and the same thing happens. As a lowly participant logged in as myself I can see my chat but not logged in as him. If I create a new room for myself, chat works fine. This is on a Macbook using the latest add-in 6.x

#10 2007-11-05 13:21:47

**_rightblank_**

We ran into the issue of a user not being able to use the Chat Pod today.  It turned out the Participant logged in using an apostrophe in his username, e.g. O'Malley, as his name would normally appear.  User then removed the apostrophe from his username and Connect allowed him to fully use the Chat Pod.

The further oddity was that while his name contained the apostrophe, I linked a Q&A pod to the Chat Pod and his questions came through to the Q&A Pod.  However, when I responded to his question, he was unable to see the response.

As a result of this happening, I did a quick test of the characters on my keyboard receiving the following results.

Tested:
I tested on one machine quickly and then followed-up with "problem" characters on other machines.
- Dell machine, Windows Vista, Acrobat Connect Add-in version: WIN 9,0,177,0

- Apple machine, Mac OS 10.4, Acrobat Connect Add-in version: MAC 9,0,178,0

- Dell machine, Windows XP Pro, Acrobat Connect Add-in version: WIN 9,0,178,0

Results:
The results are the same on the three machines tested.

- No error message is given.

- The Chat Pod would not display the messages I typed if my username contained an apostrophe ' or a less than symbol <.

- The Chat Pod also had a problem with quotation marks " but in a different way.  The message I typed appeared for about half a second and then disappeared entirely from the Chat Pod.

- Other pods function normally for the most part, except while the username contained the apostrophe, I linked a Q&A pod to the Chat Pod and questions came through to the Q&A Pod.  However, when I responded to questions, the affected user was unable to see the response.

Conclusion:
Like other Web apps, consideration must be given to character handling.  It is assumed the correct character handling is not being employed within the Attendee List. 

Obviously including a less than symbol or quotation marks in the username may not be common but this issue could be a bit more common for those who login with or are given a username with an apostrophe.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by **_rightblank_** (2007-11-05 13:44:32)

#11 2007-11-05 15:55:28

**_lbarzin_**

Wow - nice, Rightblank! Coincidently my user was O'Rourke and I'm guessing it was the same problem - thanks for post.

Board footer