Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2010-09-13 15:11:19

**_ShckByte_**

Using Flash as Skin and main GUI

Hi all,

New here and I hope I am not repeating a question, but I built my CBT (yes CD-based with only a connection to email) for the govt and they need to have the ability to take a test (created in Captivate), and when the user passes, an email is sent with the results.

As I mentioned, I am using Flash as the main skin (GUI) to control all of the Captivate modules. Some are just plain SWF files made in Flash. I like to create demonstrations using Flash AS2 and 3.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to have everything work correctly. The client is using Lotus Notes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not to mention I am new to learning about Presenter and Connect so if anyone could point me in the right direction to learn more I would appreciate it.

#2 2010-09-13 15:24:35

**_AChemey_**

Re: Using Flash as Skin and main GUI

ShckByte,

I would suspect (without knowing what you are experiencing) that the problem may be that you are attempting to loadMovie AS2 and AS3-based movies - which won't work.  If you create an AS2 movie, you need to load AS2-based movies in your shell, only.  If you create any AS3-based file - you can only loadMovie AS3-based files.

Regards,

Andrew

#3 2010-09-13 15:28:18

**_ShckByte_**

Hi, I'm using AS2-based movies, but that's not my problem since they are SWF's and Flash knows it well. My problem is more the Quiz SWF made from Captivate. I want to send out an email after the user passes and it's choking. Thx.

#4 2010-09-14 06:37:46

**_AChemey_**

ShckByte,

If you are using a Flash-based loader - I would use Flash to perform an HTTP-POST (or an HTTP-GET) to a server-side script which sends the e-mail.  I have a simple prototype - but I know it doesn't work in all environments.

Regards,

Andrew

#5 2010-09-14 07:19:49

**_ShckByte_**

Ok, here's my limited knowledge in Captivate...if everything is created in Captivate, doesn't the buttons need to be used to coordinate the email? Thx.

#6 2010-09-14 07:33:43

**_AChemey_**

ShckByte,

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  If you look at this article I wrote (for rAS2-based files):  http://www.connectusers.com/tutorials/2 … h_wrapper/

You can build a Flash-based wrapper that launches one or more Captivate/Presenter files.  The Flash-based wrapper can control the Captivate/Presenter file and/or perform it's own business rules; such as LMS communication (a separate article I wrote) or force linear navigation where a learner can only launch the next file only after successfully completing the previous file.  This is where the Flash wrapper communicates with the Captivate/Presenter file to wean data from it and use it for its own purpose. 

In this case, I can easily imagine that your Flash-based wrapper (since you have it built) would determine when the Captivate file has been successfully completed and then use its own mechanism for sending an e-mail.  Sending an e-mail to a server-side script using your own mechanism is [personally] highly recomended over using the javascript e-mail mechanism that Captivate currently uses.

Regards,

Andrew

#7 2010-09-14 07:36:38

**_ShckByte_**

Thank you very much, that clarifies quite a deal!

Board footer