Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2010-02-25 12:51:37

**_patchm00_**

Activate 4 Demo movies have a mind of their own in Connect Pro

Hello,

I am using Adobe Captivate 4 to create demo movies of my Adobe Connect Screen for training.   Movies are fairly short (30 seconds

Last edited by **_patchm00_** (2010-02-26 12:45:27)

#2 2010-02-25 15:04:55

**_mark2741_**

Re: Activate 4 Demo movies have a mind of their own in Connect Pro

What is "Activate 4"? : )

I'm assuming you meant Captivate 4.

It sounds like it *is* working properly to me. If you load a swf in a share pod, including a Captivate-generated swf, each attendee has their own instance of that swf and it will work independent of yours. You have no control over that.

The way to do what you're trying to do (I think), would be to open up your Captivate-generated swf in a separate browser or better yet, in the standalone flash player, and then share that window to your participants.

#3 2010-02-26 12:52:27

**_patchm00_**

Actually, they do not have control over the movie at all.  They do not get the VCR buttons (as long as I don't uncheck autoplay).  I can restart the movie and it restarts for everyone but they have no control.  it is more like it starts immediately after it loads however with my click box I was hoping it would stop after 2 seconds then when I click it it goes.  It works about 75% of the time on 75% of the attendees but I need closer to 100%.

And yes, Captivate :)  I make that mistake all the time!

#4 2010-03-10 03:44:25

**_k.hessefort_**

I think I had a similar experience but I do not remember what was the problem.

However, did you try to convert the swf files to flv format?
flv will behave different from swf. You as host or Presenter will have full control of when the video starts and what your participants see.

There are loads of programs that are able to do that quite easily.

#5 2010-03-10 13:32:15

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

When publishing Captivate, if you publish it to Connect directly, it includes the ability to have it play in a synchronized mode. Meaning that as the host, you can control the playback of the presentation for everyone. The Presentation will pause when it loads, because it assumes you will start it when you are ready. This allows you to have the presentation loaded and ready to go before you are ready to play the presentation.

If you publish locally it will not include the code to be synced in the room.

#6 2010-03-12 12:14:03

**_patchm00_**

Jorma,
I do create them as you say and the sync button is depressed however they seem to start on various computers before I start them.

k.hessefort
I think when I create them they are already .flv files

thanks

#7 2010-03-15 15:24:26

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

I believe that you are using SWF, not FLV, files. Captivate doesn't output to FLV.

Have you talked to Adobe about this? I know that there was some integration issues with Captivate and Connect that were intended to be worked out in the next version of Connect. But most of these issues were around having a Capitvate course in a Connect Virtual Classroom.

Could you possibly have published your Captivate project as an AS3 project? Connect is an AS2 application and the two scripting languages don't play well together. You can find this in the following menu Edit > Preferences > Project > Publish Settings. There you will find the option to have it as an AS2 or AS3 SWF output. That is a long shot possibility, but worth checking.

#8 2010-03-17 07:20:15

**_patchm00_**

Hello Jorma,

Actually, if you choose publish/Adobe Connect Pro it is outputing .flv files.

I had a trouble ticket in with Adobe and at first they said it is a known issue (that movies continue even in sync mode) and gave me a workaround which did NOT work (he said to put the movie in another layout and when ready to show movie choose that layout).

I used AS2 (although I tried AS3 when that didn't work and it was horrible).

Thanks for your attention, I apprecaite the efforts

Jorma_at_RealEyes wrote:

I believe that you are using SWF, not FLV, files. Captivate doesn't output to FLV.

Have you talked to Adobe about this? I know that there was some integration issues with Captivate and Connect that were intended to be worked out in the next version of Connect. But most of these issues were around having a Capitvate course in a Connect Virtual Classroom.

Could you possibly have published your Captivate project as an AS3 project? Connect is an AS2 application and the two scripting languages don't play well together. You can find this in the following menu Edit > Preferences > Project > Publish Settings. There you will find the option to have it as an AS2 or AS3 SWF output. That is a long shot possibility, but worth checking.

#9 2010-04-22 12:35:40

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Captivate has no ability to output as an FLV... when publishing to Connect, it pushes up the SWF video, as can be seen by going to the Download Content section for that presentation (seen here):

PublishedCp.JPG?download=PublishedCp.JPG

I would be more likely to believe that the syncing was a known issue and will be addressed at a later date (Captivate 5 maybe). The AS3 thing makes sense, since Connect is AS2, I wouldn't expect it to play well with an AS3 SWF

#10 2010-04-22 20:17:17

**_Captiv8r_**

Hi all

I'm guessing that the confusion is ensuing because of the "Publish Video Files (FLV)" option one sees in the publish dialog for Adobe Connect.

I believe all that option does is to ensure that any related FLV files are also copied to the Connect server when you choose to publish that way.

Cheers... Rick :)

Board footer