Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2010-01-19 15:32:00

**_tsimp_**

connect url in pdf - not opening in separate tab/window in connect

newbie here - hope my explanation makes sense.  I uploaded a captivate demo to connect, producing connect url #1.  I created a word doc which contains a hyperlink to connect url#1.  Then I saved the word doc as a pdf and uploaded it to connect, producing url#2.  I open url#2, the pdf - so far so good.  I navigate to the url#1 hyperlink within the pdf (I opened the pdf via the connect hyperlink, not within the .pdf doc itself) and open it - opens great, but in the same browser as the original pdf.  I want to be able to open url#1 in a separate tab/window.  Currently, url#1 replaces url#2 so I can no longer access the original pdf.  I suspect it is because both the pdf and the captivate movie are now urls, rather than a pdf acting as a pdf and a captivate acting as a url.  when I access the captivate link from the pdf itself (acting as a pdf and not a url) it opens in a separate browser tab. 

does anyone know if I can tweak a setting in connect to always have urls open in a separate tab/window?  I know a workaround can be accomplished on the user end via internet options, etc., but that is not likely to happen on my user end.  thanks in advance.

#2 2010-01-19 17:09:04

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: connect url in pdf - not opening in separate tab/window in connect

Sorry if this question is moving sideways, but why have the pdf with the link?

If you are looking for a Table of Contents or listing page, you could could always create a one slide Captivate project with a series of links or buttons to the relevant projects.

#3 2010-01-19 17:17:44

**_tsimp_**

Thanks, Jorma.  The pdf is a "user guide" with multiple steps.  Each step has a hyperlink to a captivate movie which gives a visual representation of the step.  My idea is that the user will access the user guide, and then click on a "see it in action" captivate link if they want to watch how to do it in our system. 

The pdf is posted on our intranet - this opens fine as I'm able to set it to open in a new window.  It's the opening of the individual captivate urls from within the pdf that won't open in new windows.  I don't own acrobat pro (I created the pdf via the "save as" function in word) and I'm beginning to wonder if I need the pro version to be able to set my pdf hyperlinks to open in new windows.

Thanks again.

#4 2010-01-22 13:38:30

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

tsimp,

So looking into this further, it appears that this is an issue with the way the PDFs are launched within a web browser (as opposed to being launched directly in Acrobat Reader). So there are a couple solutions on how to get this to work.

First, use Acrobat 9 Pro (which I understand you may not have), and you can make a Portfolio that has multiple objects in it. Thus you could have the User guide doc, and then a series of Captivate presentations all in one document.

Second, you could just use Captivate to build a single presentation with all your content. In many ways you can think of Captivate as an Adobe version of PPT, meaning that it does slide based navigation. So you could build your user guide into a slide based presentation and add your Captivate captures to that presentation. Your links could then be to other locations in the same presentation with the ability to return back to your Table of Contents when they are done with a section. Captivate has a very nice graphical branching view, so you can visually manage how someone can navigate through your presentation.

Other than that, I'm not sure if there is a good solution.

Board footer