Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-12-11 12:24:21

**_spuddy87_**

Test Meeting Connection - Question...

Hi,

We are encouraging all of our delegates to use Adobes 'Test Meeting Connection' page to ensure their computer is prepared correctly.  We only really want them to use the auto-running diagnostic at the top of the page..as this is all they need and the rest of the content tends to confuse them a bit!

Is there any way that this flash diagnostic can be embedded with our own site? Or does a connection test page exist without the large amount of jargon below? i,e a page only containing the test box.

Thanks in advance.

David

#2 2009-12-11 15:14:38

**_BCCAresearch_**

Re: Test Meeting Connection - Question...

We do the same thing with our users, and get the same results. If there is a stand alone without any additional information we would love to use it as well.

#3 2009-12-11 23:02:14

**_philip.roy_**

Don't quite get what you mean, but we link direct to a test page who's path is....

/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm

So for us it's...

http://connect.massey.ac.nz/common/help … g_test.htm

This is for an on-premises install. Is that what you were meaning?

We have what we call a "pre-flight check" that we ask participants to do once and once only before their first meeting. The link above is step 3....

http://elearning.massey.ac.nz/connect_s … check.html

Cheers,

Phil

#4 2009-12-14 11:58:00

**_BCCAresearch_**

That is the page we are meaning, however we would like only the test app at the top of the page and none of the troubleshooting below. We find it confuses people testing their connection. In our experience if there is a problem during the test we get an email or a phone call almost immediately. It would be great to be able to send the link to the meeting room leading users to the test page and then to the meeting login.

#5 2009-12-14 15:02:52

**_philip.roy_**

Well we tell them this is a once only thing. Do it the first time and then you don't have to worry again. It just makes sure they are all set up for their very first meeting.

We did this because the last thing we wanted to deal with in a meeting was someone who wasn't ready, didn't have things installed and needed them....it meant the beginning of meeting were chaos as you tried to bug fix some people and keep others as part of the meeting.

Phil

#6 2009-12-15 18:02:36

**_BCCAresearch_**

We do the same, but to someone outside of our organization the full page is totally intimidating. I regularly get calls from presenters half way through the troubleshooting for issues they don't have but are reading about on the meeting test page wondering what to do next and how to get into the meeting.

The actually testing app seems to be made in flash. If it could be inserted prior to login, without the troubleshooting it would give our users greater confidence using the system.

#7 2009-12-16 16:24:29

alistairlee

The Connect Pro content library supports HTML content - so I figured I would try looking at the source of the testing page - then copying the relevant bit with the testing SWF on it to a new HTML file.  I named the file 'index.hml' and uploaded it to the Connect Pro server and it worked!

See here:
http://aquo.adobe.acrobat.com/testerific

Here's the code I used - you could very easily customize this with your own wrapper.

<html>
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.adobe.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="763" height="200" id="test" align="middle"> 
   <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> 
   <param name="base" value="/common/intro" /> 
   <param name="movie" value="/common/intro/test.swf" /> 
   <param name="quality" value="high" /> 
   <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /> 
   <embed src="/common/intro/test.swf" quality="high" base="/common/intro" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="763" height="200" name="test" align="middle" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed> 
 </object>
</html>

You could easily add your own custom help text below the closing object tag.

Hope this helps.

#8 2009-12-16 16:29:42

**_philip.roy_**

Not quite sure what is meant to happen there...I just get a login?

Anyway, as I mentioned, we don't do things this way. The last thing we want is for students to be doing tests at the point of entry as it's hard to then manage any crisis at that point...hence the 'pre flight check' which we point to once, well in advance.

Phil

#9 2009-12-16 16:32:49

alistairlee

Sorry - In my rush to post this, I forgot to set the permissions to public.  It's fixed now.

The idea is that you could have this as a custom page with a custom URL and point students to it whenever you wanted - it wouldn't have to be at the point of entry.

#10 2009-12-16 16:35:38

**_philip.roy_**

Yep now it works...very cool.

Phil

#11 2009-12-21 14:49:01

**_BCCAresearch_**

Exactly what we were looking for too. Thanks Alistair, however, we are on a hosted account so we've created a "testing" page on our web server. The test runs fine except it thinks its Macromedia Breeze and not connect pro. The other issue is with the install addin button; when clicked it lead to a dead end.

http://www.bccassn.com/connect/test.html

any suggests to clean this up?

#12 2009-12-21 14:57:21

alistairlee

Very strange - the SWF must have Breeze embedded in it somehwere.

The good news is that what I posted works just as well on a hosted server as an on-premise.  There should be no need to move the testing page to your own webserver.  In fact, my example uses a hosted server as well.

To run it on a Connect Pro server (hosted or on-prem), you'll have to rename the file to 'index.html'
Then, from the content library, simply upload this index.html file as a piece of content.  You can give it a custom URL (as I did) during the upload stage.

#13 2009-12-22 11:59:39

**_BCCAresearch_**

Thanks Alistair, I always forget you can give content a unique URL. It makes some sense that it would be calling for Breeze; I would have just updated the connection test rather than re-create it.

Last edited by **_BCCAresearch_** (2009-12-22 12:08:05)

Board footer