Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2013-06-28 04:06:24

VS

Screen sharing modes

With Connect 7 and 8 the screen sharing types "application" and "window" acted very different.
When I used "application", the size of the whole desktop was transferred, but all areas but the chosen application was grayed out.
(Picture: http://www2.ifv-nrw.de/assets/images/me … endung.png )

When I used "window", only the size of the chosen window was broad-casted, no additional space was added. When using a large monitor, this was helpful as the window could be sized to an appropriate size.
(Picture: http://www2.ifv-nrw.de/assets/images/me … enster.png )

With Connect 9, always the whole desktop size is transferred and the distinction between the two modes seems rather difficult. For me, "window" now acts the same way as "application" always did.
Is this a bug or a feature?

Last edited by VS (2013-06-28 04:07:17)

#2 2013-06-28 05:21:29

spuri

Re: Screen sharing modes

Hi,

This is a change we made in Connect 9 to fix a few other addin issues. This isnt a bug but just a behavioral change. I hope you dont have any other issues regarding the same.

Thanks
Sameer Puri

#3 2013-06-28 07:38:53

VS

But this change makes it more difficult to handle. If a user shares his screen on his desktop with let's say 2560x1440 pixel and most listeners use a much smaller screen or even a mobile, it was very easy to share just a window instead, which could be resized to an acceptable size at the screen of the presenter and appeared in a readable size zoomed to fit every listeners sharing pod.

Now the listener has the choice to see the whole desktop size where he can't read anything or a 1:1 zoom, where he has scroll up and down to follow the action.

So for this kind of setup the new solution is much worse than the way it was handled up to Connect 8.

#4 2013-06-28 10:41:43

spuri

Hi VS,

As a trade off for this feature, we have provided zoom in option in the share pod. Now participants can click on zoom-in button to zoom and see only the area that is in focus (defined by the host's screen cursor).

~Sameer Puri

#5 2013-06-28 13:04:33

Jorma_at_CoSo

For what it's worth, I've always reduced the resolution of my monitor when sharing my screen, so I don't have to worry about the clarity of the image for other participants. Since I can only control my screen resolution, and not that of the attendees, I have found that solves most, if not all, of the image clarity issues.

#6 2013-07-02 10:13:49

James Booth

sharing very high resolutions of applications / desktops is a bad idea.... I try to avoid sharing my screen anyway, but, if I do, I make sure it's a friendly size.

by comparison, I also avoid sharing powerpoint slides that are extremely large, unless I know that all (or most of) the audience have large enough screens and very fast internet connctions.

Board footer