Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2012-09-11 05:25:28

**_evp62_**

After upgrade to AC9, 50% of users now can no longer use Adobe Connect

Help!

Here is an outline of our urgent problem to see if it might apply to others and if anyone has a solution:

Participants in our meetings typically are only called upon for one session per year. They are very senior and very busy people in large organizations around the world, who don't have installation access on their computers, they don't care what Flash is let alone what version they have and aren't prepared to contact IT support as it's hassle they don't want. But they are asbolutely key to our clients and must be kept happy.

Adobe Connect has been totally ideal, because they can just come in to a meeting without needing any of that "IT baggage" you get with other products. Previously, if they had say Flash 10.0, they could just come in via a "lightning install" that doesn't require admin access - which is key, and get in through the add-in even though Flash 10.1 was the minimum requirement.

This was a very key USP. But this has now disappeared with Adobe Connect 9.

It turns out that a lot of system builds have Flash 10.1 installed (about 50% we have come across in the past couple of days). Although AC9 requires Flash 10.3 to get straight into a meeting, we were expecting to be able to lightning install the add-in for those with Flash versions slightly older and get them in, but this option has been removed in AC9.

This is a disaster for us and will cause our company serious commercial consequences unless the lightning facility can be put back in quickly.

The frustrating thing is that on testing, the add-in can still be traditionally installed (with admin access) on a computer with Flash 10.1, so I can see no reason technically why the facility was removed.

Why not provide the lightning install option again on-entrance so users with locked-down accounts can still just click a link and participate, and we don't lose clients.

Alistair Lee, am I misunderstanding something here? Connect telephone support couldn't help other than note my concerns. If you see this message, please help before we starting losing clients!

Thanks

#2 2012-09-20 10:43:41

**_irfant_**

Re: After upgrade to AC9, 50% of users now can no longer use Adobe Connect

I am not sure if I have a solution for you--we are yet to migrate to Adobe Connect 9 here at Clemson University.
But why not try to look for some kind of configuration setting which forces Connect to look for Flash Player 10.1 instead of 10.3? I don't know where that might be but one possibility is to change this:
SP_FIX_FLASHPLAYER_VERSION=10,1,50,469 (note this is from Adobe Connect 8 server)
inside appserv\conf\config.ini file?
Adobe should be able to guide you to the exact location.
HTH
Irfan

#3 2012-09-20 13:45:54

**_irfant_**

I decided to investigate this further, in case we too run into similar issues. Here is a possible solution if you have, like me, the 'on premise' Connect installation:
You need to simply change the following in the 'meeting_test.htm' file in appserv\common\help\en\support folder
/////////////////// Javascript code////////////
// Major version of Flash required
var requiredMajorVersion = 10;
// Minor version of Flash required
var requiredMinorVersion = 3;// *** If this is 3 then change to 1 and restart Connect Services***
//////////////////////////////////////////////////
This allow all users with Flash Player 10.1 to install the Add-in through the Lightning Installer.
HTH

#4 2012-10-01 04:30:16

**_evp62_**

Thanks for your replies Irfan. This possible solution would be great. If this does indeed work then Adobe would need to update the launch page on their hosted service to allow lightning installs for Flash 10.1 or above.

This currently is not the case and so this is still an urgent issue that will lose us clients who see forcing an installation to update Flash as too much hassle - they may as well just install Webex instead.

We have tested that on a PC with Flash 10.1 installed, the Add-in can be installed manually and Connect 9 works. So the issue seems to be purely as you point out, that a minimum requirement has been applied on the llaunching web page of 10.3 which stops the possibility of a lightning install on 10.1, even though the system will work in that way.

This is so frustrating. The solution is there, the problem is causing us a major issue, and Adobe support say the system doesn't work with Flash 10.1 but we know it does.

#5 2012-10-01 07:21:14

**_irfant_**

@evp62,
The solution I proposed above did work for me. You really needed press Adobe to roll back to 10.1 or look for an Connect alternate hosting site. Good luck.
Irfan

#6 2012-11-05 10:16:32

**_mizaguirre_**

@irfant,
I tried your suggestion but was unsuccessful. Are any other changes necessary besides the 3 to 1? 

Has Adobe commented or made any recommendations regarding this issue?

Thanks.

#7 2012-11-05 10:20:50

**_irfant_**

@Mizaguirre,
I think that's all I had to do--change the value to 1 AND restart Connect 'Services' to make the change effective. Try that.

#8 2012-11-05 10:34:53

**_mizaguirre_**

@irfant,
I did both of those things as you suggested but am still unable to use Connect 9 with Flash 10.1.

Can anyone from Adobe comment on this? Is Flash 10.3 or greater the requirement for Connect 9 or is there a possible solution for those using 10.1?

Thanks.

#9 2012-11-05 10:38:34

**_irfant_**

@Mizaguirre,
I now have access to an Adobe Connect 9 test server and will test the javascript change on that one--the info I gave  above was from an AC 8 server and it did work for that version. May be there is someplace else on AC 9 where the tweak needs to happen. I will be back.

#10 2012-11-05 10:58:27

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

@Mizaguirre

Flash 10.3 is the required version of FP for Connect 9.

http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeconn … specs.html

#11 2012-11-05 18:27:40

**_CB_**

EVP62

If you're hoping Adobe will change the requirements on their Hosted site, you're hoping against hope. You could ask for your account to be rolled to a Connect 8 cluster (which they likely set up for some larger accounts that didn't want the upgrade), otherwise, your better choice would be to go to an on-premise or Managed solution.

Board footer