Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2007-11-30 08:22:55

**_mjmetc_**

PowerPoint Fonts Change when I upload to Connect Meeting Room

I have notices as does one of our instructors that when uploading a PowerPoint to the Connect Meeting room, the font sometimes changes and effects the formatting of the slide. Is this a bug? Are there recommended fonts to use that will 'translate' better once the PowerPoint files is uploaded and converted as a .swf? Any suggestions would be helpful. I am just now trying a few things out, but would this be something related to a Mac user?

Thanks,

Marybeth

#2 2007-11-30 10:18:03

cucadmin

Re: PowerPoint Fonts Change when I upload to Connect Meeting Room

Hey Marybeth,

The Connect Pro server does not have that font type installed. When using a font that is not installed on the Connect server, the closest matching font that is available will be used as a substitute.

Depending on the type of Connect account you have, there are potentially two ways to resolve this issue.

Option #1(Hosted Account)

* In the Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, select File > Save As.
    * In the Save As dialog, select Tools > Save Options.
    * Check the "Embed TrueType fonts".
    * Select either "Embed characters in use only" or "Embed all characters". If "Embed all characters" is chosen, the file size will be larger.
    * Click OK and click Save.

Note: The same steps can be taken if you have a Licensed (on premise) Account. However, if there's a concern in regards to the file size increase due to the embedded fonts and you have a Licensed account, see Option 2 below.

Option #2(Licensed Account)

Instead of embedding the fonts within the Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, the administrator can install the fonts on the server. Since the fonts will not need to be embedded in the presentation, there should be no increase in file size.

I hope this helps.
-Alistair

#3 2007-11-30 11:02:27

**_mjmetc_**

Dear Alistair,

Thanks!! This is very helpful. Can you tell me what fonts Connect Pro Server does have? Should they have the more universal ones like Times New Roman, Arial? I was reading up and foudn tha those are more commonly used. I figured out in one of my slides I was using Lucinda Grande! So that was the culprit.And, I'm assuming this instructor is also using a more unusual font. But, if you can confirm what fonts are supported that would be great!!!

Marybeth

Last edited by **_mjmetc_** (2007-11-30 11:02:53)

#4 2007-11-30 11:03:50

**_mjmetc_**

Sorry ! Im posting this twice! I forgot to select that I subscribe to this topic :) ....

Dear Alistair,

Thanks!! This is very helpful. Can you tell me what fonts Connect Pro Server does have? Should they have the more universal ones like Times New Roman, Arial? I was reading up and foudn tha those are more commonly used. I figured out in one of my slides I was using Lucinda Grande! So that was the culprit.And, I'm assuming this instructor is also using a more unusual font. But, if you can confirm what fonts are supported that would be great!!!

Marybeth

Last edited by mjmetc (Today 16:02:53)

#5 2008-06-11 20:44:15

**_bross_**

I've recently had similar issues with PowerPoint 2007 and Presenter 7.  I tried to follow the above mentioned steps of saving with embedding fonts, as I have a Hosted account - but to my disappointment, this rendered no different results.

Do you know if the issue is in Presenter 7, or any further work-around that may work?  I've tried both publishing directly to Connect and publishing to zip folder locally, then uploading it to Connect.

The fonts that Presenter replaces the originals (Avenir LT 65 Med, Avenir LT 35 Light, Minion Pro, etc) severely distort the layout and spacing of text on the presentation.  Single lines of text suddenly wrap, overlapping with text elements below... generally making the presentation look like a real mess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Barrett

#6 2008-09-18 13:54:32

**_melanieb_**

We also continually have problems with PowerPoint.  Moving and resizing of pictures, changing of fonts, and replacing or removing the transitions and animation.  I have tried in the past to get a list of fonts that are supported by Adobe Connect, but have not had any luck. 

Our only solution is to export each slide as a pdf or jpeg and insert each picture into a new presentation.  This will embed the fonts, but any animation that may have possibly worked is totally lost.  We also have to keep the file size low on the pdf because it does not switch slides fast enough during the presentation if it is too large.  I had one that would take 10-15 seconds to advance, very embarrassing.  The smaller file results in a lower quality picture, which is not good because we work with professional photographers. 

We sometimes end up having to use desktop sharing.

#7 2008-09-19 15:04:01

**_NAS_**

I've noticed a ton of problems with Connect 7. Lots of issues with Office 2007 .PPTX files. Things are better if you save down into Office 2003 format (.PPT), but still not great.

I too have seen a lot of font/transition issues, even with standard fonts that are already on the server, such as:

> Fonts appear larger after uploading to Connect...text wraps differently, etc.

> Font alignment is often skewed.

> Some transitions work, some don't.

> And many more...

I find this highly annoying. We have a licensed version of the server and we have many different presenters using 2003 or 2007. Since I've upgraded to Connect 7, my support time has increased dramatically. I am helping out with tons of last minute fixes to presentations because Connect 7 isn't handling the conversion very well.

Overall, I am quite unhappy with Connect 7, at least the meeting module. It has lots of bugs and needs lots of work before I would consider it enterprise grade--something it already SHOULD BE.

Adobe, are you listening?

Last edited by **_NAS_** (2008-09-19 15:05:31)

#8 2008-09-29 11:50:08

**_roysdenc_**

I have had all of these exact same problems, and have service requests with Adobe for them.  I know SP1 will be out later this year (Nov/Dec), so maybe that will fix some of it.  What I have not found is a list of the supported or a list of unsupported fonts, so that is something that needs to be made public. 

This is a crazy work around, but I have found that saving a .pptx as a .ppt, and then converting it back to a .pptx saves some time on fixing these problems.  We have also told our clients to make text boxes larger to allow for the change in font size (which often seems to be only 1 or 2 pts).

Another thing I found out is that when you publish slides through Adobe Presenter (rather than straight into a Connect meeting), the behavior is different.  My intial problems were due to using Presenter 6 to publish to Connect 7.  Using Presenter 7 corrected some problems, but there are always more.  We spend about 30 min to an hour (depending on the presentation) to make things look right since Connect does not interpret it correctly. 

I recently did speak to some managers at Adobe who admitted that these problems with Office 2007 are a major issue and they are working on them.  I just have no idea when they will get it figured out.  Again, SP1 is will be out later this year, so hopefully that will address some of this. 

It is not a Mac vs PC thing, and the best thing to do is test your slides in advance, and allow time to tweak until it looks right.

-Chris

#9 2012-10-01 23:43:19

**_Teacher_**

Hello, I am using Hindi Language Font Mangal and when we upload the file, it distorts the fonts. I did following step but it was of no use. We do not want to upload pdf since animations are lost. We also do not want to share screens, it gets very tedious and face to face interaction while sharing screens is gone. Please help at earliest.

Option #1(Hosted Account)

* In the Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, select File > Save As.
    * In the Save As dialog, select Tools > Save Options.
    * Check the "Embed TrueType fonts".
    * Select either "Embed characters in use only" or "Embed all characters". If "Embed all characters" is chosen, the file size will be larger.
    * Click OK and click Save.

Board footer