Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2011-08-12 10:34:45

**_jackwnoe_**

Random unable to view Captivate presentations.

Hello,

I just recently started a new job and the company uses Captivate to train staff all over the state.  I am getting word that some people are unable to view the presentation while other people have no problems viewing the content.  Do you have to have adobe captivate on your pc in order to view the captivate presentation?  If not, do you have any clues as to what the issue might be.  Thanks so much.

#2 2011-08-12 11:20:24

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: Random unable to view Captivate presentations.

It could be a Flash Player version issue. Do you know what version of Flash Player the Captivate project was published to? If using Captivate 5 or 5.5, the viewers will likely need FP 9 or 10.

No, the viewers don't need Captivate on their computers to view the presentation, just Flash Player.

#3 2011-08-12 11:37:52

**_jackwnoe_**

It looks as if the captivate presentations were done with Captivate 3.

#4 2011-08-12 11:50:21

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Ok, then they could have been published to FP 7, or 8 so if the viewers have the FP version published or higher, then that may not be the problem.  There is the potential issue of port blocking, but that would come back to the server that the content lives on. Adobe's hosted Connect servers do tunnel, meaning if they hit a blocked port, they will switch to one that is open.

If you are on a licensed Connect server, or some other web server, you may want to look at setting it up to try 1935 (standard port for streaming flash content) and then tunnel to 80 (general web traffic) if that is blocked.

#5 2011-08-12 11:52:34

**_jackwnoe_**

Thanks for the info.  I will definitely check that out.

#6 2011-08-15 08:18:29

**_jackwnoe_**

I tried some tests over the weekend.  The captivate 3 modules that were created seem to be using Flash Player 10.  I went home and I also have Flash Player 10, but was unable to view the content.  I guess the only solution left is the port thing commented above.  Now the real question is how I am going to tell the tech dept about this without them rolling their eyes at me.

#7 2011-08-15 14:26:20

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

If the server is hosted by your organization, then the conversation should be as simple as asking if port 1935 (or 443 for secure RTMP traffic) is open or being blocked by the firewall? If the account is hosted at Adobe, then the issue is different, as you should have been able to access it from your house (unless you set up a firewall with port blocking).

If the account is hosted at Adobe, then please call support 800-945-9120 (and don't be shy or quite about pushing to talk to tier 2 or 3) to have them look at the content and the account and assess what is going on.

#8 2011-08-15 14:27:48

**_jackwnoe_**

Thank you so much for your help.  It is greatly appreciated.

#9 2011-08-15 14:42:16

**_jackwnoe_**

Something just occured to me so if the port is blocked then why would some people be able to access the information and others couldnt.  The information is housed on the organizations servers and not Adobe.

#10 2011-08-15 14:50:12

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Well if some people are on the company network, then they may be inside the firewall, and therefore are not dealing with port blocking issues, however someone outside the firewall would not be able to view an object that attempted to stream through the firewall on a blocked port.

#11 2011-08-15 14:51:32

**_jackwnoe_**

And again, my thanks.

Board footer