Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2011-06-14 12:38:34

**_jayknight_**

Allow Non-host to enter meeting first time

It looks like the very first time a user (non-host) tries to enter a meeting, they have to wait for a host to be in the room, but after that, they can enter at any time (they can enter the room even if no one else is there)

We want all users to be able to enter a room (they already have participant permission by being a member of a custom group that has participant role in all our rooms) without a host being present.  Is this possible?

Edit: after a little searching and experimenting, it seems that the rooms are getting closed after they are empty for some period or time... and non-hosts aren't able to reopen it, so they are forced to wait for a host to come along.  I'm now trying to figure out if there is a way to prevent this.  I'm now pretty sure that it isn't developer/API specific.

Last edited by **_jayknight_** (2011-06-14 15:11:05)

#2 2011-06-16 15:24:52

**_eomedia_**

Re: Allow Non-host to enter meeting first time

Are the rooms essentially "live rooms" where you want to allow non-hosts to use the rooms or is it a pre-recorded content or course that they need to take?

Essentially as long as your room is live and you have opened permissions for anyone to join the room they should be able to get in, however, without any host permissions what is the advantage of having them enter the room as they can't share anything without at least presenter permissions I believe?

Ryan

#3 2011-06-16 15:33:09

**_jayknight_**

They are live rooms.  We would like for them to be able to come in and chat, even if they can't do anything else (is it possible to leave audio enabled for participants so they could also talk with each other?).  Some will eventually have presenters rights, so they could share presentations.  It would be nice if that worked with no host too.

We've given participant permissions to everyone and host to a few.  But if no host is in the room, then the participants are told that the room isn't open and to wait for the host.  I posted a more detailed explanation of what happens over here

I spent some time speaking with tech support this morning and they tell me that the only way to do this is to allow guests (open to anyone who has URL).  But of course, we don't want guests, just registered users :)

But then there's this guy who says that this used to be possible, but isn't anymore.  Could this just be a bug in a recent release that will get fixed soon, or did they change it on purpose?

#4 2011-06-17 04:59:23

**_ssahai_**

Hi jayknight,

Even if you are in a concurrent model it is very necessary for the host to enter before other participants are allowed in. However if you choose 'Anyone who has the URL for meeting.' in the meeting preferences then participants can enter before a host.

So there is something called the meeting load and unload. A meeting loads up only when the host comes in and unloads after 'x' minutes when none of the hosts is left. A participant can enter the meeting if the meeting is loaded but if it's not will have to wait till a host appears. This is done because a meeting may have propriety content shared in share pod/chat and host may not want people to keep peeking into their rooms to see what was going on in previous meetings.

We have verified that this has remained same since C7 and before. If you see any discrepancy then please get back to me.

#5 2011-06-17 08:54:55

**_jayknight_**

(I've responded to this here, since it makes more sense over there.  If anyone has something to add, please post it over there :)

Last edited by **_jayknight_** (2011-06-17 10:10:15)

Board footer