Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2011-02-15 14:20:21

**_katiepk_**

branching within a survey

Hi,

I'm creating a survey with 2 questions.  Each answer is supposed to go to two slides (one after another--since animations wouldn't publish right I just simplified it and broke it into two slides).  At the end of the 2nd slide it is supposed to take them to the next survey question which actually has the same content as the first question.  I just wanted them to be able to select another answer and hear what the presentation has to say about that answer.

It works beautifully until the 2nd question and then it usually will not allow them to select an answer.

All the answer slides are between the two questions. 

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Thanks!
Katie

#2 2011-02-15 15:15:25

**_Daniel_**

Re: branching within a survey

Katie,
most likely, there is a setting that is not correct. Review all your settings carefully:
- make sure you have Quiz Settings and Pass or Fail Options set according to the flow you are describing. It's easy for one setting to cause the user to get "stuck" like you describe
- in the question settings of the specific question you have inserted in the presentation, double check all of those settings - especially the "options" tab and what to do if the question is answered correctly, incorrectly, etc.

If you are still getting hung up, you might post how you have the settings adjusted so we can take a closer look.

#3 2011-02-15 20:31:57

**_katiepk_**

Thanks for the feedback.  I fiddled around and double checked and it will now allow me to select another answer, but it will not let me "submit" or "clear' on the 2nd question.  First question seems to be working great. 

Here are my settings:

Both questions are in the same quiz.  Both questions are multiple choice survey questions.

QUIZ SETTINGS
I do not have anything checked.

PASS OR FAIL OPTIONS
I didn't originally do anything with this area, but to try and be safe I made the passing percentage 0%.

ADVANCED ANSWER OPTIONS
I have these set to go to the appropriate slide (which are located between the two questions).  For the first question they slides they go to are forward.  For the 2nd question, the slides they go to are backward.  Does that matter? 

SLIDE MANAGER
Each answer has 2 or more slides to view after it is selected.  After the answer is selected, user sees the first slide and then I set the slide manager to make it "go to" the next number.  The last answer slide I have set in here to go to the 2nd question screen.  (which is a "go to" number)

#4 2011-02-16 01:23:15

**_katgoel_**

As I understand if I mark Question slides as Q1,Q2 and Answer slides as A1,A2 and B1,B2.

Then it goes like this
Q1 A1 A2 B1 B2 Q2

After A2 or B2 it should go to Q2

If the structure is like this , are you not stuck in the loop as every time Q2 will be answered it will take you to A1 or B1 and then again back to Q2 and therefore can't go beyond Q2 slide?

Also, you said in QUIZ SETTINGS
I do not have anything checked.

I think you should check "Allow Backward movement"

#5 2011-02-16 01:44:28

**_katgoel_**

You can try this .. though slide count increases
Q1 A1 A2 B1 B2 Q2 A3 A4 B3 B4 slide

Q1 pass ->A1
Q1 Fail ->B1
A2->Q2
B2->Q2
Q2 pass ->A3
Q2 Fail ->B3
A4->slide
B4->slide

#6 2011-02-16 09:46:42

**_katiepk_**

Getting there!  Both your answers, Katgoel and Daniel, helped.  I did need to check "allow backwards movement" and I think that there was a slide's setting that was wrong. 

Seems to be working now EXCEPT....! On the 2nd question slide it doesn't allow them to select a second answer after they've already selected and watched content on one answer. 

Katgoel, you are correct that this loops.  I actually want it to loop because I'm using it as a way to customize their presentation.  The question asks them why they are choosing to adopt and they can select the answer/s that fit their own circumstances.  But, I want them to be able to select as many as they want.  Is there anyway to do that?

#7 2011-02-16 10:00:50

**_Daniel_**

Great! In the question tab of the manage quiz window, check "mulitple responses" in the type dropdown at the bottom of the window. See if that will do it...

#8 2011-02-16 10:42:27

**_katiepk_**

Thanks, Daniel.  I just tried it but that has the effect of removing the option of navigation by answer back to the slides they need to view.  Other thoughts?

#9 2011-02-16 11:16:36

**_katgoel_**

Why don't you use Insert Hyperlink with in the Document to achieve that unless you want reporting on this Quiz!

Let's say you have one slide having Qs with 4 options A,B,C,D

Q1 A1 A2 B1 B2 C1 C2 D1 D2

Q1- Add each answer option as hyperlink with in the document  like option A to slide A1 and so on ... Set "Advanced by User"  for this slide in Slide manager  to Yes for this slide so that it stops at this slide or apply some animation and set "Pause after each animation" in Settings>Playback tab

From slide manager route A2,B2,C2,D2 to Q1.

Hope this helps if I have understood correctly.

-Kat

#10 2011-02-16 11:22:07

**_katiepk_**

Kat--Brilliant. I think this may be the answer.  I'll give it a try and let you know how it works.  Sometimes the best simplest is the simplest!

#11 2011-02-16 12:04:51

**_katgoel_**

I tried it at my end and worked for me .. Let me know if you face any issue.

Board footer