Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2010-12-17 22:07:30

**_rbd_**

Upgrading pod to Connect8 and facing issues, have questions! (HELP! :)

Hi guys,

We wrote a custom pod (using Flash CS3) for Connect 7/7.5. I started looking into upgrading it for Connect 8 and am having issues. This definitely looks like a major upgrade.

The developer migration document I have is very vague, it only mentions that I need to target Flash 9 and Flex 3.5. I'm a bit rusty on my Flash/Flex development and have some additional questions that would help me out a LOT:

1. This pod was written as in Flash CS3. The documentation mentions building components using Adobe Flex Builder 4 (and I certainly wish we had that option when we initially developed it), but is it possible to just build the .swf in Flash CS5 just the same?

2. If I use Flash CS5, do I need to target ActionScript 3.0, or will 2.0 work fine? When I try to publish to AS 3.0, I get warnings like:
WARNING: The component 'Button' requires ActionScript 2.0.
WARNING: The component 'BreezeServicesEmulator' requires ActionScript 2.0.
WARNING: The component 'BreezeConnectionEmulator' requires ActionScript 2.0.
WARNING: The component 'TextInput' requires ActionScript 2.0.
WARNING: The component 'BreezeSyncConnector' requires ActionScript 2.0.

If I need to use AS3, where can I get upgraded versions of these components?

3. This pod used an extension called "Breeze SyncSwf". Is that still necessary under Connect 8. Can I keep under the same version?

4. I signed up for the Connect 8 trial and uploaded my pod as a .swf untouched (e.g. compiled under Flash CS3 for Connect 7.5). Normally, the pod will make sendAndLoad() calls to our server (requesting our xdomain policy file first as necessary). Under this new environment, the pod doesn't make ANY network requests. I'm assuming this is due to Flash 8/9's new security model. My question is, should I be implementing policy file changes similar to that documented at: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer … urity.html ?? Or should I be looking at those for the Flash player 8 security model? (Any links would be more than helpful!)

5. When I run the pod untouched as it was compiled with Flash CS3, I can see it run through and at least attempt to make its calls to our server (failing, see point #4)...I can tell by the "retrying" screen showing, with the number of attempts shown incrementing. If I upload a pod produced in Flash CS5, I never see these attempts increasing

6. At least with Connect 7.5, debugging the pod was an absolutely cruel, tortuous process. We couldn't even do any kind of debug console statement, and instead had to show error codes in text boxes on screen. I see that Flash CS5 includes a "Permit debugging" setting in the publish options, but I was having no luck with that. Is it possible to get a debug console (or some easier way to see what the pod is doing in the real environment) in connect 8?

I think that's a good start. A hude thank you in advance to anyone that can answer some of all of these questions!

Robby

#2 2010-12-18 03:05:12

**_Purnima_**

Re: Upgrading pod to Connect8 and facing issues, have questions! (HELP! :)

If you want Custom pod to work for Connect 8, you will have to code it in AS3

You can find latest emulators(for AS3) at Adobe connect Devnet(http://www.adobe.com/devnet/adobeconnect.html). You can also see some of the demos and writeups for custom pod and applications there.

This is demo of how to use SDK for Connect 8 http://my.adobe.acrobat.com/c8-sdk.

Hope that Helps!

Last edited by **_Purnima_** (2010-12-18 03:14:21)

#3 2010-12-18 10:50:17

**_rbd_**

Thanks, saw the Connect 8 SDK presentation, that helped out a lot.

Looks like a total rewrite is needed (AS2->3, Flash Pro -> Flash Builder...everything I see says 'rewrite'). Talk about being dropped off at the curb. :(

Robby

#4 2010-12-20 07:26:46

**_rogerger69_**

Hello. Thank you for this. I also have the same question, thanks for the answer.

Aileen Invitation

#5 2011-03-03 09:05:23

**_RM_**

Hello, I have a similar problem. I have a number of custom Flash pods written in Flash Professional CS4 using the Breeze Sync SWF SDK which are now failing to communicate with each other following the upgrade to Connect 8.

Does anyone know if there a paid for support program for Adobe Connect Pro developers?

#6 2011-03-04 01:24:44

**_Purnima_**

RM, I Couldn't get your question.

For custom pods to work in Connect 8, you will have to rewrite them in AS3. You can see alot of documentation at http://www.adobe.com/devnet/adobeconnect.html

What else you are looking for from Support program ?

#7 2011-03-10 03:20:25

**_RM_**

I just wanted to know if it was possible to submit support requests to Adobe technical support and get a more assured answer instead of relying on a public user forum.

#8 2011-03-18 07:42:30

**_sadia_**

thanks man i got same problem now its done that was alot of help ...

keep posting that kind of helpfull tricks thanks

technology

Board footer