Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2010-09-14 06:53:52

**_mobcdi_**

SQL Database sizing

Hi all,

I'm hoping users will be able to either point me to a source or provide their own experience on the size of the Adobe Connect database and how quickly it grows.

I have the option of either setting up my own SQL server or using an existing server if the database supporting Adobe Connect doesn't grow to large.

I know it depends on user count & usage but ball park figures would be very welcome

Michael

#2 2011-01-11 12:44:32

**_coster_**

Re: SQL Database sizing

I'm also interested in having some information to size the breeze Database for Connect Pro 8 (or previous version). We are planning to prevent users to use Connect to share documents via Connect (is there a setting to do this?) so the database will only contain users (around 5,000), and meeting information (time, URL...).
I assume the database will stay small?

Please help! I'd need some guidance to estimate the size of the DB.

Last edited by **_coster_** (2011-01-11 12:45:55)

#3 2011-01-11 13:12:22

**_mobcdi_**

I'm still getting to grips with AC8 but I don't think the file data is saved in the database, just metadata.

We have only been using it a while with small groups and small meetings (3 to 4 users in about 10 meeting rooms) but we did sync to active directory and import about 20k account details. Last time I check the db it was about 120MB which doesn't seem too bad to me

Maybe that will give you an idea

#4 2011-01-11 19:00:05

**_gprivat_**

Adobe Connect database stores user information and meeting log-in and transcript information.  Each record is really small and the database growth will be fairly limited. 
That said, the database is a critical component to Adobe Connect as every authentication and user log-in will go to the database.  You need to make sure that it will perform well so that it does not become a bottleneck in case a lot of people join a meeting at the same time.
What will grow faster is the file system as powerpoint presentation uploaded will be stored in the file system (and they tend to be huge these days !).  Similarly, files from recording will be stored in the file system.  So this is the area that you need to watch.
I hope this helps.

#5 2011-01-13 06:32:18

**_coster_**

Thank you guys.

So shared files are stored in the server's file system? I read that they will go into the database...
Page 6 of the Connect 8 Install guide: "Adobe Connect requires a database for persistent storage of transactional and application metadata, including user, group, CONTENT, and reporting information."

Anyway I'm planning to prevent users to share documents via Connect as we have another tool to share documents. I've asked on the forum (http://www.connectusers.com/forums/cucb … hp?id=4674) and it seems to be possible.
Can I then assume my 'Breeze' database will be under 500MB and that the storage on the file system on the Connect server will be enough with 10GB (just in case someone manages to upload documents)?

#6 2011-01-13 07:36:16

**_Purnima_**

The amount of space required depends on not only the content shared in meeting but also on number of meetings, recordings of meetings etc. Saying that 10GB will be enough because users are not allowed to share content in meeting will be difficult.

#7 2011-01-13 07:59:55

**_coster_**

Can I also prevent presenters and participants to record meetings then?
Or is there a way of 'flushing' the file system from saved content and recordings automatically after a certain amount of time? (e.g. delete all content and recordings older than 1 month)?

I need to do some capacity planning in an architecture document before we can deploy Connect 8 so we can plan for space on the SAN and growth...

Thanks.

#8 2011-01-14 00:38:25

**_Purnima_**

Yes you can stop host from recording meeting.
Go to Administration -> Compliance and Control -> Recording and click forced recording off. This will disable recording.

AFAIK, connect doesn't have this functionality of flushing content after certain amount of time.

#9 2011-01-19 02:19:40

**_ACP_expert_**

The database contains meta data about the content, but not the content itself. 
Estimating a the size of a Connect DB is incredibly difficult.  How many users, learners, meetings, size of meetings etc. 

As for the ability to delete information older than n days, Connect currently doesn't have that ability.

Board footer