Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2010-05-06 14:02:17

**_Crozzer_**

understanding API's

Hi, I'm trying to get my head around API's and what they do. Looked on the Adobe website and that just confused me more.

What I would like to do is generate a list of logins who have either completed/not completed/not started a course. The reason is the login is an employee number and we can the use this data to drill down further using our own database. From what I've read and understand which I accept is very very little I believe API's can do this?

To show how little I understand I'm not sure from the API's I've seen where you run them?

Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 2010-05-06 15:19:40

**_mrock66_**

Re: understanding API's

You can run them through your web browser after you have logged in and got a user session.

Take a look at the Web Services guide
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AcrobatConn … rvices.pdf

#3 2010-05-06 19:50:15

**_tlchurch_**

From the link Matt provided, look at the section in Chapter 5 called "View curriculum information".

The API is XML, and can be called from any language. In code, create a HTTP GET request and specify the request URL. (You'll have you log in via the API to get the API to work, but if you log in as Matt said from your browser and then run the API request by plugging it into your browser, it's a great way to test and see if you get what you expect to get).

#4 2010-05-07 12:59:40

**_jcooper9099_**

An API is an Appilcation Programming Interface.  They are parts of applications that expose functions of the application via a specific method. The adobe connect API exposes functions via https requests and hence is very flexible.

tlchurhs suggestion is 100% correct. The differnt requests that you can make via the API included requests specfific to a curriculum.

You will get always get an xml document in the response, which your code should parse. I use x-path expressions to find what I am looking for. Also xml lends itself very will to Datagridviews.

Board footer