Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2010-03-18 16:54:54

**_lynnjb11_**

Recording Editing

Wondering if anyone knows how you could copy a recording so that it could be further manipulated beyond one edit and the original. For example how would one take a very long recording and divide it into a number of parts?

#2 2010-03-18 17:16:13

**_tlchurch_**

Re: Recording Editing

When we've had to do this in the past, we edited to one segment, downloaded to FLV, reverted to original and cropped to the next, repeating until we had separate FLVs for each segment. We then uploaded the FLVs as content to stream.

I'd be interested to know if there are better ways to do this.

#3 2010-04-22 12:45:26

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

You could download the source files for the recording by adding the following to the url for the recording, /output/XXX.zip?download=zip and then re-uploading the source files as a second version of the same recording. they can then be edited separately for two version of the same recording. And you can have a custom URL on the second recording.

You can name the zip file whatever you want, doesn't have to be XXX.zip.

#4 2010-05-05 14:41:19

**_leure_**

I have a similar question, I am attempting to edit out a clip of a recording and playback the clip on our website. I want to keep the master recording intact. Should I make a copy of the recording and edit off that? If so, how do I do that?
Lisa

#5 2010-05-13 15:24:40

**_grun4it_**

Leure, I needed to do some editing of the audio too, so I did the download of the files following Jorma's suggestion.  A nice fellow named greg helped with this

"downloaded the recording:

Code:
http://your.connect.url/yourrecordingur … wnload=zip

where im.zip is the name of the downloaded zip file
you must have appropriate rights to download the recording

extract the zip."

I opened the zip file and found the FLV, usually the largest of the files that contained the audio.  I converted it to a .wav, though you could save it to .MP3, audio file in Format Factory (free ware - open source).  I edited it in Adobe Sound Booth (you can use Audacity or other sound editing software).  Then you can add it to your web site in your prefered format.  This does not touch the original audio file on the Adobe Connect platform.

#6 2011-07-13 13:07:41

**_RobMorrison_**

Jorma_at_RealEyes wrote:

You could download the source files for the recording by adding the following to the url for the recording, /output/XXX.zip?download=zip and then re-uploading the source files as a second version of the same recording. they can then be edited separately for two version of the same recording. And you can have a custom URL on the second recording.

You can name the zip file whatever you want, doesn't have to be XXX.zip.

So I've downloaded the zip archive, now how do I get the zip contents back into the Connect Recording folder to edit???

#7 2011-07-13 15:09:52

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

You upload it to the Content library. That is where the recording will live, but it will have full edit functionality there. It will just not be associated with a meeting room, so you can dictate the viewing permissions and see some basic reporting.

#8 2012-02-20 11:48:33

**_fu_paladins_**

When you say 'downloaded to FLV', do you mean make a recording available offline by having it re-record the recording?

I am looking for the best way to take a recording off the server in 1 file and the only way I have found thus far is the re-recording option. Our sessions tend to run 2-4 hours and I cannot understand why it has to run again to create a single file, plus we have noticed a degradation in the on screen quality when the re-recording takes place.

I must be missing something obvious.

I understand how to download the zip file of all the pieces but we want to have 1 file that is available in FLV or MP4 for viewing outside of Connect Pro.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Matt

#9 2012-02-20 12:44:15

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Matt,

Since Connect doesn't record a video of the meeting, there is no singe file to download. That is why you don't have that option.

To get a better quality version of the recording, make a higher resolution window for the recording to be in. I don't believe it will ever be as good as just streaming from the server, but it is what we have to work with. I agree that a high quality FLV or MP4 directly from the server would be great to have, but also keep in mind that it would take more system resources and could reduce the performance of your Connect server. However, keep asking for it in the suggestions forum here and the wishlist tool at Adobe.com, that is the best way to make sure that the product team knows about your request.

#10 2012-08-13 19:34:53

**_Snelly_**

Jorma_at_RealEyes wrote:

Matt,

Since Connect doesn't record a video of the meeting, there is no singe file to download. That is why you don't have that option.

To get a better quality version of the recording, make a higher resolution window for the recording to be in. I don't believe it will ever be as good as just streaming from the server, but it is what we have to work with. I agree that a high quality FLV or MP4 directly from the server would be great to have, but also keep in mind that it would take more system resources and could reduce the performance of your Connect server. However, keep asking for it in the suggestions forum here and the wishlist tool at Adobe.com, that is the best way to make sure that the product team knows about your request.

So what are you actually downloading when you download the ZIP file?
I am editing 2 2hour meetings a week and I am trying to download the fiel via the ZIP file.

Is this what you were saying in this post:

"You could download the source files for the recording by adding the following to the url for the recording, /output/XXX.zip?download=zip and then re-uploading the source files as a second version of the same recording. they can then be edited separately for two version of the same recording. And you can have a custom URL on the second recording.

You can name the zip file whatever you want, doesn't have to be XXX.zip."

#11 2012-08-14 12:24:12

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Snelly,

What I was saying in my quote above, is that using a higher resolution setting on the monitor playing back the recording will yield a higher quality recording. It won't be as good as streaming from the server, but it will be the best quality you can get with the 'Make Offline' option.

The quote you have at the end of the above post is about having multiple versions of your recording that are edited differently. Where you may have had one live session, but want to make two or more smaller clips of that live session. That is when you would use the /output/zip.zip?download=zip method to pull the source files for the recordings down locally, and then re-upload that zip file to the Content Library, to be edited and accessed as separate, unique recordings.

Board footer