Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-12-07 15:20:17

**_ptrader_**

Capture Size vs. Project Size

I'm having "issues" getting the output I want.  The standard resolution I must output to is 1024x768, Internet Explorer browser window.

I want a left side Table of Contents visible at all times.

In order to get the actual .swf output to fit a standard 1024x768 monitor, I'm having to reduce the project size down to 730x503.  If I do that, the output seems to be 980x534 (according to the HTML file).  And I achieve my goal of the entire output fitting on a browser window without scrolling.

But, I simply can't capture the software demonstration at 730x503 - I can't get near enough of the screen to make the capture useful, without panning and scrolling. 

The only solution I can think of is to capture the demonstration at a higher resolution, then size it down to the smaller format.  Not optimal as the quality does degrade somewhat.  Plus being just another step to screw things up when editing and such.

Am I missing something somewhere or is this really how it works?   Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to capture a larger bit of the screen without changing the resolution?

#2 2010-01-04 20:19:11

**_Captiv8r_**

Re: Capture Size vs. Project Size

Hi there

One way you could work is to capture the full screen and scale it to fit the first slide or two.

Then as actions occur in different quadrants of the application, you could capture at full size in the areas where the action is occurring. You might then use the Zoom Object to provide the illusion of zooming into each quadrant, where the larger captures would then be played back.

Another way to enhance the experience is by using an overlay to provide the "torn edge" effect. I create these with TechSmith SnagIt and use them in Captivate. This provides a huge clue to the end user that they are only seeing a section of a larger area.

Other than that, you might wish to investigate using TechSmith Camtasia Studio. This product is really in a different category than Captivate. But it can be used to complement Captivate work. Particularly with its ability to provide ultra smooth zooming and panning.

Cheers... Rick :)

Board footer