Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-12-05 14:40:38

**_skuda_**

slow internet connection

Hello,
   i am evaluating the purchase of the adobe elearning suite for my company, but we have a problem, a slow internet connection, well exactly i have a problem with my uplink, only 800kbit/s (i have 20mbit/s download but for this not matters)

I cant rent a better connection in the town where we have our office, i would like to host virtual classrooms with many people and interactivity so i would like to know if i could use a repeater or host for distribution or anything alike, i could then rent a dedicated server with a good internet connection and i would connect from our office only one link to this host from where the content would be distributed, well this or any other solution you can think to let me do this with my internet speed.

Thanks,
Miguel Angel.

#2 2009-12-05 18:22:22

**_Daniel_**

Re: slow internet connection

Hi Miguel,

I think you can try Connect for 30 days on a trial, so you might try it and see how it works on your connection. Your uplink might be okay. I'm not sure that it will help to have the dedicated server if you are still connecting to that server from a slower connection. If you are doing any screensharing or video usage, that's might be where there is some lag in the speed.

But it would be good to just try it and see what works. Just thoughts.

#3 2009-12-05 20:02:14

**_skuda_**

Hi Daniel,
    thanks for the reply, this is what i plan to do, download the trial and test but i would like before to know if the system has any support for use an in-the-middle machine to use as broadcast distribution or alike, i have been using helix dna server for broadcast video and audio content for example in a dedicated machine but i don't find the product documentation, i suppose that will be installed with the trial so i will install it.

#4 2009-12-06 09:30:18

**_thomasattrp_**

I'm Daniel's colleague. We have a hosted connection.

On Friday at the noon hour EST we ran a 90 minute meeting.  We used PowerPoint, Flash Videos, Polls, Chats, live video of presenter throughout the entire meeting except when videos were being shown (using the High Bandwidth setting), and for short periods of time two presenters live video streams were being used.  We had 13 participants counting presenters.  All but one reported a positive experience (and he apparently had some connection problems on his end). We have a T-1 line that was, during the session, mostly available to us.  I just checked the usage log provided by our ISP and it showed that no time during the session did our kbs exceed 410 up and 200 down.

So, I believe that your experience could be a very positive one with the limitations you have stated.  Of course, I'm an amateur with regard to these things, but we have found that Connect Pro is not a bandwidth hog in most settings.  I was once in a remote/rural part of Russia, with a slow satellite connection (less than 500 kbs up and down), connected wirelessly, walking around outdoors with my laptop and webcam, carrying on a conversation with one connection in the US with both of us using the webcam live.  It worked, though there was significant latency--2-5 seconds in some instances.

We have also used Connect Pro on rare occasions with our laptop tethered to our Verizon cell phone as a modem.  Worked fine for the most part.  Understant the the Mifi and Verizon and Sprint cards work better than the tether.

The point of all this is to take Daniel's advice and check it out.  We have had mostly good experiences.

Thomas

Last edited by **_thomasattrp_** (2009-12-06 09:34:00)

#5 2009-12-06 12:32:40

**_skuda_**

Thanks thomas, i will try it. :)

Board footer