Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-10-26 13:21:57

**_tripst3r_**

Blank Recordings

Hello -- relatively inexperienced AACP user here.

I found out today how to export recordings (a/k/a download recordings) and can get it to work for most of the steps, but get a big fat FAIL when I try to playback the downloaded files. I'm able to download material using the URI pattern http://domain.tld/recording-number/outp … wnload=zip but when I access mainstream.flv using Adobe Media Player, VLC Player, or Real, alls I get is a black screen.

I've tried different recordings, but no diff.

Interestingly enough, I'm able to download material using Fx 3.5.4, but using IE -- whether on our hosting server (we host ourselves) or locally -- I get the Java StatusException (no access) error even when logged in as an app admin.

Trip

#2 2009-10-26 13:41:22

**_gajett_**

Re: Blank Recordings

tripst3r wrote:

I found out today how to export recordings (a/k/a download recordings) and can get it to work for most of the steps, but get a big fat FAIL when I try to playback the downloaded files. I'm able to download material using the URI pattern http://domain.tld/recording-number/outp … wnload=zip but when I access mainstream.flv using Adobe Media Player, VLC Player, or Real, alls I get is a black screen.

I've tried different recordings, but no diff.

Trip

What would you like to accomplish with your downloaded recording?  A connect recording, as you know, is made up of several parts.  Adobe media player will definitely play files that have 'playable' content.  Try the ftstage... files as an example.

Here's a couple of articles about recordings: http://connectusers.com/tutorials/2009/ … /index.php and http://www.connectusers.com/tutorials/2 … /index.php 

Greg

#3 2009-10-26 13:59:53

**_tripst3r_**

@Greg: For now, I'm just trying to show that recordings can be downloaded and played. (Specifically, I have a department that wants to use AACP for HIPAA-regulated interactions, which means they want to get the files off the server as quickly as practicable after the meetings are over.)

The file downloads successfully as a zip, decompresses successfully into .flv and XML files, but none of the .flv files shows anything but a black screen when played in VLC or Adobe Media Player. That's what's so strange.

Edit: Thanks for the tutorial mentions. The first is where I learned how to download without using the Make Offline feature.

Last edited by **_tripst3r_** (2009-10-26 14:00:40)

#4 2009-10-26 14:12:19

**_gajett_**

I don't believe there is any way to play all of the files in a meaningful way from the download using this method.

If all you need, for example, is the main speaker's voice/image, you can use that part and convert to avi, mpeg, etc... ( we have done this several times to make a simple podcast from a presenter's audio).

But to put all together again isn't worth the effort.  Best to use the 'make offline' feature, or a screen capture utility to record the whole meeting recording.

On another note, if the files are removed, but still stored somewhere, why not leave them on the connect server and restrict access to them?  That would be very easy to do.

Greg

** if you have downloaded a meeting recording with audio/video and sharing of a powerpoint presentation (for example), you will see/hear using vlc or adobe media player.  I have done this successfully many times.  (note that if a person is sharing audio only, you'll see a blank screen,but hear their audio).

#5 2009-10-26 15:01:47

**_tripst3r_**

Oh, I don't need to play all of them. What's puzzling me is that I can't play *any* of them. The web-based playback of the recording works just fine, but the downloaded files are all blank. Curious.

However, it is good to know that they might not be able to get re-congealed.

#6 2009-10-26 15:08:53

**_gajett_**

You should be able to play some of the .flv files.

Are you sure you're getting a good recording w/ audio/video and presented material?

greg

#7 2009-10-26 15:21:14

**_tripst3r_**

Yep -- recording is basically fine when I go to http://domain.tld/recording-number/

#8 2009-10-26 15:30:32

**_gajett_**

OK.... let's move on anyway....

Is there a reason/purpose for the download of what amounts to unusable files?

What is the end goal?  To have a repository of files that can be..??  (what?)

Even if one or two worked, unless the meeting had a very specific format, or only those one or two parts were needed, you lose the interactivity of the connect recording, lose the synch of audio/video and presented material, etc...

Greg

#9 2009-10-26 15:50:56

**_tripst3r_**

The main reason for my undertaking this is to see whether the HTTP method for grabbing a recorded meeting works. That method is seeming to be flawed, at best.

Next, I'm going to be trying the Make Offline feature.

The bigger purpose of all of this is that a department here is exploring using AACP for psychological appointments. The data gathered is subject to HIPAA regs, so they requested the ability to offload the recordings from the server so as to not implicate us in their HIPAA needs.

The bigger purpose than that is that as I evangelize AACP, I've been asked whether it can export recordings. To be able to answer intelligently, I'm experimenting my own self.

#10 2009-10-26 15:57:48

**_gajett_**

Thanks for the clarification!

There is a potential need for the .zip download, but hopefully you'll never need it!  :-)
Unless it's for the simple .flv to mp3 conversion for 'podcast' delivery.

Make offline works, but is a real-time operation, so a second machine is helpful.  Just start it and come back later...

Depending on the content of your meetings, there may be better alternatives (yes, i said it) than ACP.
We've got some people with a similar circumstance using  a Pinnacle 82410110301 Video Transfer USB Capture Device (or similar) to drop their recordings straight to a usb stick.

Greg

#11 2009-10-29 11:08:42

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

For what it's worth the files the server uses to play back the recording, calls to the content on the server for playback. If you play the source recording files from your local computer or another Connect server any calls to content will be broken (PPT, SWF, or FLV presenations) and your share pod will  remain a blank gray box.

The easiest way to get the recordings to work through downloading the source files is to do your entire presentation with screen sharing, as then the recording of your screen share is in the source files and it should work fine.

Otherwise just use the Offline Recording option to get a single FLV.

Board footer