Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-06-25 11:35:54

**_Roberta_**

Basic Question - Help me understand the differences in Screen Sharing

I can't figure out the difference between Desktop Screen Sharing, Windows Screen Sharing and Applications Screen sharing.    I've checked all the on line documentation, but the differences are not clear to me.  Can anyone help?

#2 2009-06-25 12:31:20

**_Jeff_at_RealEyes_**

Re: Basic Question - Help me understand the differences in Screen Sharing

Hi Roberta,
Here's a rundown to help you better understand.

Desktop Sharing: Shares your entire desktop, and anything that you open while doing so. That being said, always try to be wary of IM messages, email notifications, etc. - anything that may "pop up", per se. As seen in the screenshot below, I am sharing Mozilla Firefox, and MS Notepad:
desktopzfi.jpg

Application Sharing: Shares specific only applications that the person sharing decides. Any applications open behind the one being shared will not display, as indicated in the screenshot below where I am sharing only the MS Notepad application in front of Mozilla Firefox (please also note the 'Stop Sharing' control panel on the top right corner):
application.jpg

Windows Sharing: Will share any one or multiple open and/or minimized windows. As indicated in the below screenshot, I am sharing Mozilla Firefox only, as also indicated by the 'Stop Sharing' control panel on the top right corner. When I open another application or maximize another window in front of the window I specified sharing (in this case, I have MS Notepad open and dragged on top of Mozilla Firefox), it won't be shared, as indicated by the "blue occlusion":
windowsz.jpg

My best advice is to simply use Desktop Sharing, as I find that it offers the most flexibility for the person sharing, and the best experience for the Participants. Just remember to disable any "pop ups" that might slow you up, get you in trouble, etc.

I hope that clarifies!

#3 2009-06-25 13:02:50

**_roysdenc_**

Jeff -
     Unrelated question based on your screen shots.  When I share a window or an app, the entire background has the the white and blue grid pattern that can be seen only around the edge on your window share.  The rest of your background is gray.  How can I set my hosted account up so that the entire background isn't the grid (looks like a chain link fence) pattern?

Thanks
Chris

#4 2009-06-25 13:23:18

**_Jeff_at_RealEyes_**

Chris,
I believe that you're referring to my Application Sharing screenshot where I have the solid, blue/gray background. The reason for that is because when I typically scheenshare, I share my 2nd monitor (I run a split screen off of a laptop). I drag what I want to share over to said monitor. This gives me the ability to use the 'Preview' button on the Share Pod, so I too can see how my screenshare is being displayed and conveyed to my Participants. But in this case, any application that I launch opens by default to my 1st monitor, which I'm not sharing. And in order to share an application, I have to drag it to my first monitor. That is where the solid background color comes from. I hope that makes sense.

As for changing the blue grid/fence, I am unaware as to how to do that, and moreover, if it can even be done. My apologies for not having a better answer.

#5 2009-06-25 13:27:56

**_roysdenc_**

No worries Jeff.  You gave me some ideas to play with.  So far it hasn't been an issue, but does come up every now and then.

-Chris

Board footer