Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-06-16 15:55:53

**_suzzanne_**

Recordings - changing URLs to restrict access

We've recorded several webconferences in Connect Pro and would like to share with customers on a time-limited basis.

Can we change the URL to restrict access after a period of time?

#2 2009-06-16 16:09:44

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: Recordings - changing URLs to restrict access

URL's cannot be changed in Connect, but you can move the recording into the Content Library and customize the permissions there. Add the users to the list on the right with view permission and then remove them when you don't want them to be able to watch it anymore.

#3 2009-06-16 16:53:56

**_dyun_**

Another option would be to set the permissions to "Make Public" for the duration of when you want to make them available.  Then once you are ready to revoke access to your customers choose "Make Private" on the meeting recording listing page.

If they try to go to the recording URL when its set to private, they get a message saying they are not allowed to view the recording.

Best,
David

#4 2009-06-16 17:49:53

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Good point David,

The Make Public option will remove User Name and Password access to the recording, where as the Make Private option will require a User Name and Password to open the recording.

#5 2009-06-17 14:33:11

**_jcooper9099_**

You could move the recording to the content library, then create a curriculum with open and close dates and require users to register for the curriculum.

#6 2009-06-25 09:48:00

**_suzzanne_**

One wrinkle in this is that we basically have two sets of users: those who can access anything/anytime through our website (that's where they would find the URL to our recordings) and those who can access anything but for a limited time (say, 30 days post event or 30 days once the recording link is shared).

I'm trying to figure out how to use the options identified in this thread without making it overly complicated to users (or to me!).  We have 200+ users in the list, with a mix of those who have restricted versus unrestricted access to our recordings.

Basically it's thinking of us having a "public" list - anyone in the general public could watch the recording if they had the URL, but only for 30 days.  Then people in our "private" list could watch the recording without any time restrictions.

Any suggestions?  Is there someone available to walk me through how to set this up?  Many thanks.

#7 2009-06-25 09:59:10

**_roysdenc_**

If your list of people with unrestricted access is know, dependingon how much work is required, maybe you can do this:

Put the recording in a folder in the content library that is public.  This would mean anyone can access it.  After 30 days, move it to a secondary folder that is not public.  This would require someone to log in to view it, thus removing the general user.  If you can give your list of unrestricted viewers accounts with access to this secondary folder, they could then still view it even though the general public cannot. 

I have not tested this, and this working also depends on your ability to give those people an account to view a restricted recording, as well as it being possible to setup a secondary folder like I described.  I am making assumptions at this point based on what I have done.  This also requires that you manually move the file after that 30 days, so is still some work on you, but moving the recording may prove to be minimal in comparison to other options.

Can anyone else confirm if this idea is feasable?

-Chris

#8 2009-06-25 11:28:16

**_jcooper9099_**

How about you create two curriculums. One with unrestricted acess that is open for a certain time. And one with no restricted time. Create two groups then add the group as necessary as a "particpant".

The users who can view any time can still view any time, if they select the right curriculum and log in. Other users can view during the time the curriculum is open, but not after.

#9 2009-06-25 12:45:07

**_suzzanne_**

Please pardon my "denseness" but I haven't done this before...

It sounds as though I direct users to a site where they log in?  In the past I have shared the URL on our (project's) website.

Can this be a simple cut/paste of users to the Connect site?

#10 2009-06-25 12:58:01

**_jcooper9099_**

Yes, each user should have a connect account if the content is served from connect.  You can use the import feature under admin >> users and groups >> import   to create users.

However, from your last question I am not sure I am answering your orginal question. 

Do you want to serve the recording from your webserver outside of connect or from the connect server?

#11 2009-06-25 12:58:05

**_roysdenc_**

So, when you record a meeting in Connect, becomes content of that room.  You can set it to public or private from within the room, or move it to a location in your content library.  In my content library I have a folder that is set to public that we use to store our recordings.  The link for the recording does not change when I move it from the room to this location. 

In my example, you could have a folder in your content library that is not public, and after 30 days, move the recording from the public folder to this folder.  Again the link does not change.  The user expereince changes by when they go to the link, which still has not changed, instead of the presentation playing, they will have to log in to view it.  They do not have to go to a special web site, just log in when they try to view the recording.

Make sense?

-Chris

#12 2009-06-25 14:59:03

**_suzzanne_**

I have to admit I'm not even well-versed enough in Connect to know, but I think we are sharing from the Connect server.  (In other words we're not hosting Connect ourselves.)

David's suggestion to use the "Make Private" or "Make Public" option would be great, except that we essentially need to make the link available for the foreseeable future (years, and years and years) to the 200+ contacts in our customer groups.

It's the "sub-group", the general public, who we would make our content/recordings available to for a limited time only (30 days).

From Chris' response it looks like we would have to set up logins for the 200+ contacts so they can view the recording once it moves from Public to Private.  That's where I think our glitch is... creating those logins in Connect and giving instructions as new contacts join us.  It adds another management layer that I'm concerned about us maintaining over time.

#13 2009-06-25 15:15:12

**_roysdenc_**

Okay, so here is another option for you.

If you are currently setup so that you make your recording, and then (from how I read your post) post it somewhere on your site (files still hosted through Adobe), here is a possible option.  If you have a public part of your site where people are viewing this link, and a private part that you can restrict access to, what about posting in those two places, then delete the public one?  Possibly use a redirect for the public one that you can simply delet...

Note sure if this is your use case, but could be an option, which will take having to create any user accounts in Connect out of the picture.

Without setting up user accounts,  I do not think you can accomplish what you want through Connect, and will have to do it on your end.  By hiding the adobe link with redirects, this will help to some extent, but isn't full proof.  If a user get the Adobe link, unless you change things in Connect as to who can see it, they will be able to view it.

-Chris

Board footer