Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-05-12 15:39:33

**_rqn1234_**

Captivate 4 and Translation/Localization

Has anyone here done much with translations in Captivate 4?  I am doing some investigating as we have a client who would like to have a couple of courses localized/translated from English to Hebrew, Arabic, and Chinese.

I have tried copying text directly into a text box in Captivate.  This worked for Hebrew and Arabic, though getting the Right to Left text to work properly seems a bit tricky.  Chinese did not display at all. Used German as control language western and it worked fine.

Using the XML export, translate, and import back in only German worked.  Arabic and Hebrew both displayed as ??? ??? ???

Using the export/import "project captions and closed captions" option which exports to a word doc had the same results as the xml export/import -- western language worked, Arabic and Hebrew came out as "????" and Chinese as corrupt square looking images.

Curious that the Hebrew and Arabic display when pasted directly into the Captivate checkbox but not with the mass import utilities.  This leads me to suspect the import process may not be working properly.  Chinese not displaying has me wondering if I need to install language packs or fonts.  I am going to try that next and see what happens, but thought I would check here to see if anyone has any experience with this.  I have not found much on the web besides people asking how to do it.

#2 2009-05-15 15:31:03

**_roysdenc_**

Re: Captivate 4 and Translation/Localization

I have not tried doing this Captivate 4, but have with Captivate 3.  I always do this with the export/import captions, and I have had to install language packs, especially for Asian languages.  Once those language packs were installed, I have not had any problems.

Things could be different in 4, but from my experience with 3, it sounds like you have the right idea.  Try installing an appropriate language pack, and then let us know if that worked.

-Chris

#3 2009-05-15 15:41:03

**_rqn1234_**

Installing the language pack did help for Chinese as far as pasting directly into the textbox in Captivate.  It did not improve the import/export for Chinese, Hebrew, or Arabic.

Looking at the exported xml file it seems that the source language parameter is set to English, but that no target language is set.  I tried to manually add this per the XLIFF standards instructions, but it did not seem to be recognized when importing the translation back in.  It seems as if the language is not being recognized but I also just thought of something as I typed this that I might be able to try changing that source lang param to the target instead of English and see if that does anything.

It looks right now like using the export will work nicely for getting the translations done by our translation partner.  The Dev team right now then plans on using an image of that translation for Hebrew and Arabic to overcome right to left text issues that still remain.  Chinese they are alright with pasting things into each slide.

#4 2009-05-15 15:47:46

**_rqn1234_**

rqn1234 wrote:

Looking at the exported xml file it seems that the source language parameter is set to English, but that no target language is set.  I tried to manually add this per the XLIFF standards instructions, but it did not seem to be recognized when importing the translation back in.  It seems as if the language is not being recognized but I also just thought of something as I typed this that I might be able to try changing that source lang param to the target instead of English and see if that does anything.

Changing the source-language= tag in the xml did not affect it either.  Was worth a try.

#5 2009-05-15 15:50:24

**_roysdenc_**

Interesting.  Glad things are working, at least to some extent.  As long as the process for Hebrew and Arabic that you have come up with is acceptable, at least you have an option.  If others have input, I would be interested to hear about it.

Here is another resource for you: http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_captivate

It is a Captivate specific forum that I stumbled across one day.

-Chris

#6 2009-05-15 15:53:30

**_rqn1234_**

yeah, posted many a time at forums.adobe.com, though I seem to get more answers/responses here.

Board footer