Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-05-08 09:14:25

**_pjewett_**

Best way to embed video in PowerPoint Presentation to be uploaded?

Hi All,

I'm new to the board and probably could find this with more digging but I'm in a rush. Our Sales team is putting together a powerpoint presentation for an upcoming conference. They want to embed several small video clips throughout the presentation...ranging from 30 seconds to over 1 minute for a total of about 20 minutes.

How can I be sure these video snippets will render once the PPT file is uploaded to Acrobat Connect Pro? Do the videos need to be a certain format before going into the PPT file? Any other advice on how best to do this? And is there a best practices guide someone could link me too?

Thanks so much.

#2 2009-05-08 09:40:08

**_thomasattrp_**

Re: Best way to embed video in PowerPoint Presentation to be uploaded?

I don't think video embedded into ppt will work.  You have to do the video separately  Video files need to be converted to Flash then uploaded to your content section (if hosted), then played separate from the PPT file. They are played via the share pod.  Be happy to show or walk you though how this works, just email me at thomas@trpnet.com.

Thomas

#3 2009-05-08 09:54:11

**_pjewett_**

ahhh...I was afraid of that. This is a pretty stubborn group of people and they really didn't want to have to transition to another pod to play their video.

so we're converting the video file to FLV via sorensen and uploading to it's own pod? only option?

thanks for the quick response.

#4 2009-05-08 10:51:08

**_gajett_**

as long as you don't mind swf files, you can insert video via presenter.  there's a .swf button.
simply convert your video, use the 'insert swf' button and publish when ready.

greg

#5 2009-05-08 10:55:35

**_thomasattrp_**

What we mostly do is preload the video and keep them in the Preparation area until ready then slide them onto the layout and click the play button.  Fast. Or, we hide them under the PPT slide, get rid of the slide (or move it to prep area) then click. It is quite fast.  If you load it to practice, then close the video, it will be in the list of the share pod and all you need to do is click on pods--> share then the video and it comes up fast. Videos, especially shorts ones, load quickly and play easily.

Thomas

#6 2009-05-11 14:00:04

**_roysdenc_**

You can embedd the video into the powerpoint if you have Presenter.  I think it requires version 7 or later, but I have done this.  My prefered method is kind of like what Thomas described.  Depending on the presenter, we typically load an flv into its own pod in the presenter area, then slide it to the presentation area when it is needed.  For less skilled presenters, we give the video its own tab.  We also use this option more during live presentations as compared to recordings because it has to be right the first time.

If you have Presenter, I would start there because the latest version can import a number of types of video (ends up converting it to flash on its own).  This allows you to add the video to a specific slide without problem.  Note - this is not the same as adding it with PowerPoint, which doesn't work.  Under the presenter menu, there is an option for importing video.  I am just not as fond of the results from Presenter converting the video files, and prefer to use other tools to do so, which is why I load them straight into Connect when I can.

-Chris

Board footer