Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-04-27 21:50:54

**_Terry_at_RefinedData_com_**

Help Generating Email Invitations

Hi,

I never use the Invitations function when creating meetings, preferring to generate my own but one of my clients has found an anomoly that I'm hoping someone on the forum can assist with.

When creating a new meeting, invitations are sent out by Adobe using a built-in web form. My client uses Lotus Notes and cannot use the Outlook add-in and does not want the emails sent out by Adobe.

If an initail email is sent using the web panel, subsequent attempts to send emails show up with the following message on the Connect Central Site:

"To invite people to your meeting, please copy the URL below and send it to your invitees. Optionally, you can select the button below, which will launch your default e-mail client and automatically include the following information:"

In this case there is a button that essentially just contains a "mailto:" link so that your default email client launches automatically. This is exactly what the client wants but the magic button does not show up when creating a meeting or when clicking on the Invitations tab unless you've used Adobe to send the first batch of invites.

Does anyone know how you can generate the "mailto" button right from the time when the meeting is created? It seems that the process is very unpredictable and not at all intuitive.

Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully you get what the problem is from my confused explanation.

Thanks,

Terry

#2 2009-04-28 06:41:12

**_tlchurch_**

Re: Help Generating Email Invitations

Hi Terry,

Maybe this will help. From within the meeting room, go to invite participants (Meeting - Invite Participants in v6 or Meeting - Manage Access & Entry - Invite Participants in v7). You have the "Compose email" button there, and it will bring in the URL, etc. from the standard invitation template.

#3 2009-04-29 22:33:12

**_Terry_at_RefinedData_com_**

Thanks so much! This was really helpful and is the best solution I've found so far but it's still not optimal.

It's annoying to have to launch the meeting and wait for it to load, simply to generate a simple mailto: link which should be accesible from the Invitations tab of the meeting in Connect Central. What's frustrating is not being able to predict when the magic "button" will appear in the Invitations tab as it shows up for some meetings and not for others.

I'm considering writing a custom web page for the client that will ask for their ACP username and password  and the custom meeting URL, use the API to gather the meeting data, ask them to enter a message and then launch their email client with the combined result. It will be totally predictable and will not even require you to navigate inside Connect Central.

It's quite a bit of work and totally unnecessary but I think it will be the best solution.

I really appreciate your input. I learned something new.

Terry

#4 2010-01-21 17:06:43

**_klmonline_**

Bumping this one back up to the top. I also have the inconsistency with how Connect wants to send the invitation. In my hosted account, I get the button that Terry described, which opens an Outlook message prepopulated with all the proper information. When my friend (using a different hosted account) clicks on the Invitations tab, he gets the internal web form to "Send to hosts/participants/etc". How can he get the invitations tab to use the external email client?

Last edited by **_klmonline_** (2010-01-21 17:19:59)

#5 2010-01-21 17:29:05

**_klmonline_**

Hah! Solved this one myself. If your meeting security is set for "Anyone who has the URL may enter the room" then invitations are sent using your external mail client. If the meeting security is set for either of the "Registered users" options, it uses the internal Adobe mail form and will only send to users associated with the meeting.

This is a stupid, stupid, stupid functionality difference.

Board footer