Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-03-27 13:31:38

**_Daniel_**

Meeting Room went kablooey

Top this.

Our meeting today was to have five or six participants, a one hour marketing session in a room that we have used at least a dozen times previously, often with more than 10 participants plus two hosts.

Had the presenter prep area open. Noticed that some of our ppt files were unsynched and it could not be changed. Then had trouble activating our microphone. Closed the ppt file that was not synching and could not open it. When it opened, could not move it out of the prep area. Could not move it at all! Left the meeting, signed out, came back in. Our layouts then appeared at the top of the screen, overlapping the toolbar so we could not access menu options. We could toggle through layouts, but every layout had the same appearance: all pods seemed to be aligned to the top left and were overlapping each other. Layouts had pods from other layouts in them. Whew! Tried to give the two participants who were present another URL to go to, but could not access a note pod or any other means of communicating a URL. Finally had to give up and leave.

Tech support said we had exceeded the available bandwidth. That seemed odd with only two participants signed in to a room that we have used for the exact same presentation for the last five months, with far more participants signed in. He advised we delete the room and rebuild it, that it had become corrupted. Said we had too many layouts, believe there were nine in that room.

So we are building a new room, but have no real idea what just happened.

#2 2009-03-30 08:27:40

**_Daniel_**

Re: Meeting Room went kablooey

Thinking further about this... the tech support person was concerned about the number of layouts in that meeting room (believe we have nine.) What is the relationship between layouts and available bandwidth?

He was also concerned that we had two short videos preloaded in their own layouts, one about 2 minutes, the other about 45 seconds (not big). Does having videos preloaded in a layout affect bandwidth?

Trying to figure out what we may have done to cause our room to short-circuit. Please share your wisdom with us.

#3 2009-05-20 02:06:57

**_santhony_**

Unfortunately to really know what happened in that room, the logs would need to be reviewed. Sometimes rooms can get corrupted and the only way to fix them is to delete and re-create. I'm going to take a good guess here anyway since I'm sure the logs are long gone by now...

I think the simpler you have your room set up - the easier it is to track down the cause of a problem - but I've never seen 9 layouts cause an issue before personally. However there could have been some kind of issue with the loaded videos sitting in the layouts.  If they were loading while you were attempting to do the meeting at the same time and switching between layouts, then I could see the bandwith issue - maybe they weren't completely loaded?

Unfortunatley you may not get the answer you are looking for - but I hope that it has not continued at least...

#4 2009-05-20 08:46:12

**_Daniel_**

Thanks for thinking about this, Shayla. I do not know how to access the logs, but would guess as you do, that they are long gone by now. On a positive note, we have not experienced this problem again, and have adopted a new practice of loading videos on the fly when we plan to show them, vs. having a video already loaded in a layout. I don't know if that has made a difference since this has really been an isolated thing, but we're doing it anyway in the interest of prevention.

We also deleted the old room and have rebuilt it, working fine now. Thanks again.

Daniel

#5 2009-05-20 09:39:16

**_roysdenc_**

Daniel,
     Regarding your situation and the videos you had loaded, I don't think the videos were the issue.  We recently had a week long seminar series (one a day, all live), and we had slides, screen share, camera, multiple videos, chat, as well as a few apps running without the room having issues.  Oh, and we had a number of layouts that we were using.  I have also seen postings where people are using even more layouts than your nine without issue, so I don't think things would be with that either.  There have been a number of times where I have had multiple videos to play in one presentation and never had a problem like this.
     What I can say from my experience is when a room is open when Adobe makes one of their updates (especially the ones they don't tell you about), things break.  They can kinda of fix it on the back end, but in most cases they tell you to create a new room and consider the original one done. 
    Sounds like you are up and running as of now, but thought I would let you know that the videos shouldn't have caused the problem based on my expereinces.

-Chris

#6 2009-05-20 09:41:25

**_jameslloyd_**

You know, it really just sounds like a problem with the server.  Are you hosted at acrobat.com?

I've conducted meetings with many more than 9 layouts (up to 15 so far) as the layouts become the recording index, including .flv videos and multiple camera pod participants.

This seems similar to the error where the room 'cannot find the default template' and all content and layouts are lost, which I am convinced is some sort of database error trying access the room assets.

Not much help, but might be a clue for techsupport.

on preview - YES, what Chris said is exactly right - when there is an update rooms will break!
-j

Last edited by **_jameslloyd_** (2009-05-20 09:44:23)

#7 2009-05-20 13:09:11

**_Daniel_**

Thanks for the input guys, very helpful. We are hosted.

Board footer