Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-03-18 10:55:44

**_ksumwalt_**

Camera for a group of people?

Hello All,

Has anyone used a Connect Meeting with a large group of people in 1 room?  I am looking for one of 2 options:
1) A good camera with a wide angle that can effectively capture more than the 2-3 that a webcam can get.
2) A way to have 1 computer, the Host, present multiple cameras to the meeting room.

Any recommendations?

Regards,
Karl Sumwalt
Baltimore, MD, USA

#2 2009-03-18 11:45:39

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: Camera for a group of people?

Karl,

1) Any camera that can be connected to a computer via USB or Fire wire should work just fine. You may even be able to find a reasonably affordable web cam for that purpose. Or you can get an adapter or video card on your computer that allows you to bring in analog video and then you could use any consumer video camera.

2) Can't be done. 1 video input device per computer.

#3 2009-03-18 11:57:20

**_ksumwalt_**

The USB webcams I have tried work well for up to 3 people, but none seem to have an angle wide enough, or depth of field large enough, to get multiple people around a conference table.  For 2-3 people sitting together, I agree, most webcams work well.  We are looking for a way to incorporate a larger group sitting around a part of a table.  The USB webcams I have tried don't seem to work well for this.  as a frame of reference, the best one I have tried so far seems to be the Logitect Quickcam 9000, but I am in no way endorsing that.
Karl

#4 2009-03-18 11:57:46

**_gajett_**

Karl,

To enable #2 to best effect, you'd need a video switching device to control the cameras, then route the output of the video switcher into your computer.  We do this via a USB device that will accept composite video signals.  I think it's made by kworld.  and cheap, around $50.

Greg

#5 2009-07-20 16:30:12

**_dahughes_**

We are using this camera for small conference rooms and works well for 360 degree capture based on who is talking loudest with Connect Pro after a little tweaking: http://response.polycom.com/forms/Searc … 00InfoPack

#6 2009-07-20 16:36:06

**_roysdenc_**

What did you do to get it to work?  We have one, and I couldn't get it to show up in Connect.

-Chris

#7 2009-07-20 16:41:23

**_dahughes_**

If you are on a PC:

1. In control panels for scanners and camera remove all input instances but the one that show camera feed from CX5000, you can click test camera to check which one is the one you want.

2. Open Connect and then start camera, you should be able to choose USB camera and see feed

3. The one downside is that audio gets picked up easily and can set up a loop from arrayed mics so we take audio from laptop audio out and put it to an external speaker that is not near cx5000

I am going on vacation tomorrow but can set up a test with you in two weeks if you are interested. send an email to dahughes@u.washington.edu

-David Hughes, Manager
Interactive Media Group, UW School of Nursing
Seattle, WA

#8 2009-07-20 17:06:49

**_Jeff_at_RealEyes_**

Hey David,
Great to see you here!

Chris,
David is one of my clients, and has been revolutionizing the way that Adobe Connect Pro is used in Higher Education Institutions for some time now. I would highly suggest taking him up on his offer - it truly is flooring.

Further, see the below links:
- Adobe Success Story - University of Washington School of Nursing

- University of Washington - School of Nursing Uses Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro for Distance Learning

#9 2009-07-21 12:14:34

**_roysdenc_**

Thanks for the info.  I do not currently have a use case, but will try this out in the coming weeks (currently getting ready for our annual trade show).  If I can get this working, I know that use cases will come up.  I will let you know if I have any trouble.

Thanks
-Chris

#10 2009-07-21 13:51:20

**_thomasattrp_**

I just watched the recorded session with David which is the second link in Jeff's post above. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It really shows the potential of working with Connect Pro. Congratulations, David, and Jeff, too.

Thomas

#11 2009-08-25 15:45:52

**_learnivores_**

Hi there,

Is that Polycom camera the same as a RoundTable? You've had success with it in Connect Pro (not Live Meeting?)

dahughes wrote:

We are using this camera for small conference rooms and works well for 360 degree capture based on who is talking loudest with Connect Pro after a little tweaking: http://response.polycom.com/forms/Searc … 00InfoPack

#12 2009-08-25 16:58:24

**_dahughes_**

Yes, we have used the CX5000 which was the RoundTable with Connect Pro. I can post a link of a demo later this week if you would like to see one...

#13 2009-08-25 17:02:53

**_learnivores_**

Yes, would like to see the demo. I was under the impression the RoundTable only worked with LiveMeeting.

Board footer