Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-03-06 08:23:14

**_Arnaud_**

Using Polycom equipment with Adobe Connect

Hello,

I'm in charge of the deployment of Adobe Connect over a large medical community.
We managed to allow usage from group to group with this equipment : http://www.konftel.com/default.asp?id=1 … refid=1917
It is a echo cancelling microphone which can be used by group of 10 people, and which usually works quite well.

But we are facing a problem, on the sound side,  when we consider a usage by 20+ people in the same room, with no table but a desk in front of many chairs (teaching room). The fact is that this room is fully equiped with a polycom video conferencing system. This include 3 polycom microphones screwed on the ceilling.

My questions are simple :
Is there a way to connect this microphones with Adobe Connect ?
And did someone ever manage to sucessfuly setup this kind of usage ?
(the person responsible for this equipment in this room said to me that it was not possible)

Thanks,
Arnaud.

#2 2009-03-06 12:46:52

**_dyun_**

Re: Using Polycom equipment with Adobe Connect

This tutorial may help:
http://www.connectusers.com/tutorials/2 … /index.php

It requires that the computer connected to the meeting have a special capture card installed.

#3 2009-04-15 08:04:41

**_Arnaud_**

Thank you.
But, I saw this video already, and I'm not sure it is that simple.

Did someone else manage to do that ?
Is the quality good enough ?

Alternatively, my question is how to set up a usage with large groups of users using VoIP ?

Thank for your help.

#4 2009-04-15 09:09:41

**_gajett_**

My questions are simple :
Is there a way to connect this microphones with Adobe Connect ?
And did someone ever manage to sucessfuly setup this kind of usage ?

Can you do it?  Probably, but it will depend on the system.  We have several rooms configured similarly with multiple cameras, microphones, etc...  The parts that makes this all work are the switching devices. 
So...
- can you get a line or mic level signal from whatever box is currently receiving the mic signal out to your computer?  If so, there's your microphone into connect.
- are there cams?  can you get a composite or other video signal out from the cam switcher? if so, you'll need some sort of 'capture' device on the computer to convert the signal so Connect can use it.  We've had good luck w/ the K-World VS-USB2800D.  about $50 online.

Greg

#5 2009-04-15 09:45:56

**_Arnaud_**

Thank Greg.

I think I can get a mic signal into my computer (I'm checking that by now).
Also, there's cams in the room which are connected to the video-conferencing system.

When you talk about switching device, are you talking about a device capable of choosing the usage of cam and mic between web-conference AND video-conference ?
Because, I still want to use my video-conf, and an "hard disconnection" of cam and mic is not the best way to achieve it.

#6 2009-04-15 09:56:20

**_gajett_**

our rooms are very multi-purpose.  we are simply taking the signal from the video switcher and the audio aggregator.
nothing is connected/disconneted.  for connect we are just using the outputs and routing them into the computer.
so, users can select from multiple PTZ cams on the fly during a session and connect never blips.  it is seeing whatever the video switcher is putting out.

Greg

#7 2009-04-15 10:04:32

**_Arnaud_**

That sounds great.

Which video switcher and audio aggregator are you using ?
Do you achieve a good sound coverage of the room ? Is the sound clear ?

I'm interested in your experience...

#8 2009-04-15 10:42:16

**_gajett_**

the equipment doesn't really matter, in fact the rooms i am talking about will be re-built this summer.
you need the audio and video outputs in a format you can either use right away (preferable) or convert using something else.
as I mentioned, the K-world usb device has worked well for us to get the video switcher composite video signal into the computer for use with connect.  the audio is just a signal from the audio mixer (it is actually a polycom product) into the computer's mic jack.

the considerations for the audio are access to some form of level control into the control system, which i assume is already there since the room is set up, and running the audio set-up wizard with the room configured as it will be used.

our audio/video quality  with our setup in these rooms is quite good.

#9 2009-04-16 05:10:48

**_Arnaud_**

I'm working at setting this up with my video-conf team.

One more thing : in this configuration, which device or software is in charge of the echo cancellation ?

#10 2009-04-16 07:47:01

**_gajett_**

One more thing : in this configuration, which device or software is in charge of the echo cancellation ?

in the rooms as they stand currently, there's a polycom vortex (i think, it's not really my equipment), but in general, the in room audio mixer is handling echo cancellation.  BUT -- i really like, and have never seen issues w/ Connect's solution.

greg

Board footer