Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-02-18 15:26:07

**_roysdenc_**

VOIP audio drops increase after SP2

Has anyone else seen an increase in audio drops with CP7 using VOIP since the SP2 update?  We had a live event last week and there was a large increase in the number of audio drops compared to past meetings.  Also, where in previous meetings audio drops affected only certain people, the more recent ones affected everyone.

We had 2 presenters (1 presenter and an interactive modorator), and about 80-90 particapants.  Audio would drop for every one at the same time, and we know it wasn't a bandwidth issue from the presenter's computer.  Audio would drop from both of our presenters, so it wasn't one more than the other.

I also heard from another department here that they have seen the same thing.  When they told me when it started, it corresponded to the SP2 release date, and they weren't even aware the update had occured.

**We contacted Adobe support and gave them a few examples, but I want to know if others have seen this.**

Note - we are using hosted service, Connect Pro 7, SP2.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by **_roysdenc_** (2009-02-19 11:38:30)

#2 2009-02-18 17:06:38

**_gpalmer_**

Re: VOIP audio drops increase after SP2

We experienced a large increase in the number of drops during a live presentation to a group of 300 today. Audio would drop for a second or two, then pick up again. We too have had experienced drops before, and they typically only impacted a few users. But this appeared to be much more widespread based on the comments and calls to our support number.  We're also using the hosted service.

GP

Last edited by **_gpalmer_** (2009-02-18 17:07:06)

#3 2009-02-19 11:22:31

**_tlogan_**

Please contact Adobe support on this issue so that they can see if this is an isolated occurrence or a wider issue.

#4 2009-02-19 11:37:21

**_roysdenc_**

tlogan-   Thank you for the suggestion, and I had contacted support prior to posting.  I should have indicated that, which I did not, so I will update my post accordingly.  I don't expect much from Adobe support given our history with them and lack of beign able to help us, which is why I posted here.  I get better support and response from the users here than from Adobe support.

All -  As indicated in my original post, I am more curious as to if others on the board have experienced the same increase in audio drops when using VOIP over the past few weeks, especially since SP2 came out.  Any info is helpful, and if you have seen this, please also take tlogan's suggestion and contact Adobe support.  I have found that no matter how many examples I give them, unless someone else calls in with the same issue, Adobe always puts what I am doing as the source of the problem and not willing to look at their product.  The more we contact them about the same thing, the more likely they are to actually look for a problem on their end.

Thanks!
Chris

#5 2009-02-19 12:26:08

**_CCWWW_**

We have had the same problem.  And I agree about contacting "support".

#6 2009-02-20 09:51:21

**_bherrmann_**

I had major audio drops yesterday too.  Adobe support made it sound like I was the only one and told me to look at best practices and the forum.  I'm calling again now.

#7 2009-02-20 11:38:02

**_roysdenc_**

Word to the wise, when Adobe says you are the only one, don't believe them.  I have found this is never the case.  We had really bad drops again yesterday.  This is getting really old really fast.  Did I mention I haven't heard anything back from Adobe "support"........

-Chris

#8 2009-02-20 11:54:00

**_santhony_**

This may or may not help folks in this particular situation, but it could help going forward anytime you experience issues in a Connect meeting room.

If you are a Presenter and have the Connect add-in installed, you can add an additional file called mms.cfg to your Windows or Mac installation to enable logging on your Connect Add-in. This will provide an additional log file that you can provide to your Adobe Support Representative anytime you have issues inside of a Connect Meeting Room.

The one thing you do have to remember, is to either grab the log file or rename it BEFORE re-joining a meeting room or joining a new meeting, since the log files are overwitten every time you enter a room by default according to the settings in mms.cfg (this can be changed and I only recommend doing so if you support your Connect installation and join meetings to troubleshoot a lot because it does generate a lot of logs).

It's not recommended to leave this option enabled from what I have heard, however I can say that I never disable it have never had any issues with it being enabled. It would depend on your system of course, so if you notice performance issues then you can choose to disable the add-in logging by just simply removing the mms.cfg file from your computer.

For more information you can visit the Adobe Technote here:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon … d=fd606fac
*NOTE* You need administrative rights to add the mms.cfg file to your Windows or Mac install.

Although it may not help in this particular situation depending on what the root issue is, keep in mind that having this enabled going forward will allow you to provide an additional document of information to your Adobe Support Rep, that could help resolve other issues going forward (hopefully including this one).

#9 2009-02-20 12:09:32

**_roysdenc_**

Thanks Shayla. As of this morning I have been asked to start the process of archiving all of our Connect recordings so that we can begin moving away from Adobe because of this issue.  We have defended Adobe for far too long to our clients, and it is getting harder to justify using it to ourself.  It is a powerful tool, but too many bugs and the lack of support is just as powerful in the oposite way.

Thanks everyone.
-Chris

#10 2009-02-20 12:29:58

**_rjirving_**

That's really disappointing to hear Chris.

I am new to Connect and have had two 'good' events with it so far (both pre-SP2). The only issue I have currently has been with the synching of the offline recordings.

Does anyone know how serious Adobe take Connect Pro? Is it a money spinner that they want to invest in or a product that they will let die out?

Cheers

RJI

#11 2009-02-20 12:38:37

**_roysdenc_**

RJI - We have been using Connect for a few years, and for the most part we were happy with it.  There are a lot of people who do have goo experiences with it.  We have just come to a point where it really isn't meeting our need.  Adobe tries to support Connect, but since it isn't originally their product, they have a long way to go before they should say they actually suport it (personal opinion).  I get better support from the users on the discussion forums, but I have rarely had a problem that was caused by somethign we were doing, but rather a bug in the program.  When considering use of Connect, listen to everyone's opinion on the board and not just mine, then make your decision.  We originally went with Connect to save us time and money, but recently (over the past year), we have had to spend 2-3 times the amount of time on a project because of bugs in Connect.  There has not been a final decision to no longer use connect, only a decision to prepare to no longer use Connect incase we drop it when our contract expires.  We pay a large sum of money for the product and support, and we aren't seeing value in the money we are spending. 

This board has been ever helpful, and Connect offers something that I have not seen anywhere else in a single package.  For us, we are re-evaluating if this single package is worth the head aches, time and money.

-Chris

#12 2009-02-20 16:22:25

**_dyun_**

Hi All,

I circled back with the Support/Engineering teams.  We

#13 2009-02-20 17:53:35

**_roysdenc_**

What did they find with the other VoIP cases?  If you can't specify here on the board, please have my support contact update me.  My case number is 180735400.  We are checkingthings on our end, but we also know our history with this type of response from Adobe.

The last time I heard that response to one of my problems, it turned out to be something in the programing of the software that was causing my issue even though Adobe spent two months saying it was something on my end. So far it looks like they fixed it with SP2, but I had to wait 6 months for a fix.

Thanks for the update and affirmation about Adobe and its commitment to Connect. 

-Chris

#14 2009-02-24 11:45:31

**_bbjawer_**

Unfortunately, we have also had problems with Connect's VoIP quality for months (even before SP2).  We get audio drops, choppy audio, pauses, bad static on the line, etc.  We believe Adobe is honestly trying to resolve the issues, but hasn't made much progress.  We like Connect, but the VoIP problems are causing us to look at alternatives as well.

#15 2009-02-24 12:01:24

**_jcooper9099_**

Same experience here.  Support tries to blame it on us too.

We have a conference with an Adobe Connect  engineer today. I will definitley be sharing all of these posts with him.

#16 2009-02-24 12:45:15

**_roysdenc_**

I spoke to Adobe escalation yesterday, and their initial feed back was play with the audio settings (which we haven't changed), so we will see what that does.They did say they have had a few people with issues since SP2, but had no info as to the cause.    I tasked them with getting me some info on those cases and any chances to how VoIP works, so maybe I will find more.  Other than that, back to testing, re-recording, and looking for other solutions.

-Chris

#17 2009-02-24 14:07:26

**_rjirving_**

It would be great if you could keep us up-to-date on this. Obviously it is an essential part of the software that must be working for the product to work!

Cheers

RJI

#18 2009-02-24 15:02:09

**_lbream_**

I am also having big problems with audio dropping out which is why I found this thread.  I don't have any solutions to offer but will stay tuned and will also ad my voice to the chorus with Adobe Support.

___

Just updating - still waiting since yesterday morning for "level 2" support to get back to me.  My ticket # is 180765840 in case anyone else needs to reference the issue.  During my webinar huge chunks of audio would just drop out.  In the past we have had annoying drop outs but not for up to 30 seconds.  As others here have mentioned management wants a solution offered much more quickly than Adobe Support seems to be able to offer one.  They already want to look more closely at switching to WebEx even though we had made a significant investment in Connect Pro.

Last edited by **_lbream_** (2009-02-26 16:48:23)

#19 2009-02-24 15:08:56

**_thomasattrp_**

We had some intermittent audio problems today in a hosted account.  We theorized it had to do with a lot of static electricity around the computer, camera and mic.  We exited and entered the meeting room a couple of times and the problem went away.  Tough for an on line marketing meeting.

Thomas

#20 2009-02-24 15:18:08

**_roysdenc_**

Our CustEd department had a similar experience yesterday (while I was on the phone with Adobe), but they couldn't get things to work.  basically 10-15 sec audio drops every few minutes.  They ended up switching to a phone conference for audio because things were so bad.  It makes us look bad when Adobe isn't working, especially when these presentations are paid training for customers.

As I learn more, I will let everyone know.

-Chris

#21 2009-02-25 09:48:30

**_bherrmann_**

I had another webinar yesterday and once again a large number of audio drops.  This event included a number of new attendees so now they think this standard practice for us.  Called Adobe again and still waiting for a level two rep to call.  Management here expects me to clean up this mess and regrets listening to me about buying Connect.

#22 2009-02-25 09:52:28

**_jcooper9099_**

Point every tech you talk to toward this thread. They know about the problem and trust me it is NOT on our END.  Make adobe aware that this feature is something that they advertised which does not work. 

The good news is I heard there were some changes coming in the pipeline, we'll see.

Last edited by **_jcooper9099_** (2009-02-25 09:52:48)

#23 2009-02-25 09:53:54

**_rjirving_**

I certainly do hope they get this sorted. VOIP problems of this magnitude make Connect a non-usable product.

Keep up the pressure everyone.

Cheers

RJI

#24 2009-02-25 10:06:52

**_roysdenc_**

It may also be good to point them to support case numbers.  My most recent one that I spoke with teir 3 and support escalation on is 180760226.  Have all your support cases also reference mine so that they can look for commonality with what we are all doing.

It seems that mainly hosted accounts are reporting issues.  Are any licensed accounts having problems with VoIP?

Thanks
Chris

#25 2009-02-26 16:04:58

**_bobhinton_**

I was having the problem with the audio dropping a few days ago and ended up switching from a wireless connection to a wired connection. The audio seemed to work fine.

The main problem we have had are the recordings drop some of the audio.

Board footer