Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-01-27 16:03:38

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Tab navigation through a Cp Training project.

Captivate does a great job of doing a software simulation. However I need to create a Cp project that has the user use Tab to progress through the presentation. The problem is when the user clicks on the link or button to go to the Cp training, a new window opens and when the user hits the Tab key, they scroll between the browser address window, the search bar and anything else it can on the browser. The Cp training project doesn't take the Tab input until the user clicks on the Cp project itself. How can I get the user's computer to put it's focus on the the Cp project and not the browser without the user having to click on the training project?

I have built this project in Cp3 and Cp4 with the same result. The only way that I can solve this issue is to publish to an .EXE file, but my users don't have admin rights to their computer so this is not a good solution for me. It needs to be a solution for the .SWF output. I have published to a Connect server and locally to see if the HTML made a difference and it doesn't seem to.

Thanks.
J

#2 2009-01-28 18:05:13

**_robert.l.mann_**

Re: Tab navigation through a Cp Training project.

I believe what you are describing is an issue about focusing on the embedded object (the swf) of html page. My quick research thus far continues to refer to "click to set the focus"; then your "tabbing" would be recognized. And I know you mentioned that you trying to accomplish this without a click/mouse.

The following is an Adobe posting discussing accessibility when ironically the emphasize the use of a keyboard when they have an example that requires a click.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/quick … le_ui_as3/

-----
Another discovery I found was the difference of behavior between browsers ActiveX vs Plug-In.
Use this example and compare between IE and Mozilla.

http://www.webaim.org/techniques/flash/media/focus.html

There's also another issue with Captivate. I had published a Cp project with IE. In this case, the skin (player bar) was published with it. So while tabbing, it would only cycle through the player controls, rather than into the simulation.

Last edited by **_robert.l.mann_** (2009-01-28 18:45:44)

#3 2009-01-29 13:27:51

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Robert,

Thanks! I'll look into these discussions. I too experience a Tab through the skin controls while the user is tabbing through the presentation, but I can live with that so long as it works. I experienced this behavior in IE, FireFox and Google Chrome, so I don't think it's browser dependent.

#4 2009-03-27 10:36:29

**_Shanny_**

This is a behavior called Seamless tabbing, which allows tabbing to extend beyond the movie and start with the browser address bar.  To disable this behavior, follow these steps:

1.  Open the HTML file Adobe Captivate generates in a notepad or HTML editor
2.  Between the writeDocument <object></object> tags, add the following text:
'<param name="SeamlessTabbing" value="false">'+
3.  Save the HTML file

Jorma_at_RealEyes wrote:

Captivate does a great job of doing a software simulation. However I need to create a Cp project that has the user use Tab to progress through the presentation. The problem is when the user clicks on the link or button to go to the Cp training, a new window opens and when the user hits the Tab key, they scroll between the browser address window, the search bar and anything else it can on the browser. The Cp training project doesn't take the Tab input until the user clicks on the Cp project itself. How can I get the user's computer to put it's focus on the the Cp project and not the browser without the user having to click on the training project?

I have built this project in Cp3 and Cp4 with the same result. The only way that I can solve this issue is to publish to an .EXE file, but my users don't have admin rights to their computer so this is not a good solution for me. It needs to be a solution for the .SWF output. I have published to a Connect server and locally to see if the HTML made a difference and it doesn't seem to.

Thanks.
J

#5 2009-03-27 16:48:47

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Shanny,

That sounds like the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Board footer