Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-12-16 13:45:15

**_cjwetc_**

FMS Core Rollover - Recording playback problems

Since we upgraded to Connect 7 in early September, we have been experiencing an issue with playing back meeting recordings.  The problem manifests itself in several different ways, but the most common is that a recording will just stop playing at some point in the middle of it.  When it breaks, the audio will stop and the progress meter at the bottom of the window will say "Disconnected."  I've been working with Adobe since September trying to get the issue fixed and they say that they hope this will be resolved in Service Pack 2.  For the time being, the only way that really works to get recordings working again is to restart all Connect services.

According to Adobe, the issue is being caused by the FMS Core process designated for recording playback not performing its rollover correctly.  The Core needs to rollover due to a small memory leak that causes the process to gradually consume more and more memory.  To get around this, we have disabled the rollover and are restarting the services several times per day.

Obviously this has caused much added stress to our staff constantly having to monitor the server to see if recordings are playing back and also restarting the services so frequently.  It sounds like Adobe recognizes that this is a serious issue for some users, but that most users are not experiencing the issue at all.  Are there any other people on this forum experiencing something similar?

#2 2008-12-16 15:56:11

**_pafell_**

Re: FMS Core Rollover - Recording playback problems

We've seen this happen a couple of times and the only thing that seemed to correct it was to do as you suggested and restart the Adobe Connect services.  Did they give you any indication as to when Service Pack 2 would be coming out?

#3 2008-12-17 01:10:59

**_santhony_**

For those experiencing the issue I believe that you can disable this option
1.           Open the C:\breeze\comserv\win32\conf\originhost\_defaultVHost_\Application.xml file
2.           Change <RollOver>21600</RollOver> to <RollOver>0</RollOver>, save file
3.           Restart all Connect services

This disables the FMSCore for recordings from rolling over.  It is only a temporary workaround until SP2 is released. I believe there is a patch in the works now - check with your adobe rep, or check the licensed patch page for updates.

What errors are showing in your logs after disabling the FMSCore?

Thanks,
Shayla

Last edited by **_santhony_** (2008-12-17 01:16:02)

#4 2008-12-17 14:20:29

**_rmenon_**

just some background on the rollover..  Rollover is set to happen every 6 hours by default. When a rollover happens, the old core is still active, and WILL honor all the recordings that it had been playing.  The number of cores is set to 2. So, when the third FMS core becomes active, the first one will be killed.  Essentially it means that each core will be alive for 12 hours.  For the first six hours, it will accept new connections, and for the remaining 6 hours, it will honor all the connections it was already servicing.   Rollover is only used for recording playbacks.

the bug we fixed is  --  When someone tries to access a recording that is already playing on the old core, we tried to connect to it and did not account for the fact the core had rolled over.  This resulted in folks not being able to access certain recording (not all) . This is fixed in SP2. 

cjwetc, when you say the recording stopped working, were you actively viewing the recording, and it stopped playing all of a sudden? Or was it paused, and when you tried to start it again it did not work

#5 2009-01-05 09:27:20

**_cjwetc_**

rmenon,

I would be playing the recording and it would stop in the middle of it.  The play bar would just suddenly say "Disconnected."  Trying to pause and restart the recording would have no effect.  When this is happening, if I close the window and try to reopen the recording, the play bar would say that it was disconnect right from the start.

santhony,

I did get that suggestion from support and it didn't really seem to help.  I have been trying to restart early each morning as well.  Another thing that support mentioned was that this might be caused by the on-access scanner of our antivirus.  I have disabled that for the time being to see if it helps at all.

Last edited by **_cjwetc_** (2009-01-05 09:28:54)

#6 2009-01-06 05:21:53

**_santhony_**

Have you taken a look in your logs yet to see if you see any errors.

Try checking your debug.log file for the timeframe you were playing your recording - what does it say?

Also you can check the playback application log file as well for that same time and it may give you additional errors about the problem.

#7 2009-06-04 11:18:03

**_tltengineer_**

Hello,

We are still experiencing the problem described here.  Recordings playback will stop playing at some random point.  It will also say "disconnected" in the progress bar. 

We are running version 7 with SP2, licensed.  We were hoping that SP2 would fix this issue, but it is clear that it has not.

Are there any other licensed uesrs who have experienced this issue?  If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.   Thanks.

-Stanley

Board footer