Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-11-06 15:15:13

**_kraigyb_**

Video behavior in recorded meetings

I've noticed that when playing FLV videos in our meetings, the video is not always in sync for all participants.  For example, the video may start several seconds later for one participant than it does for others.  Or, some participants notice that the video stops and starts while it plays smoothly for others.  I understand this is probably due to different connection speeds, and we've learned to compensate for this by waiting several seconds after the video is finished on our end before continuing on with the meeting.

My question is, how do videos behave in recorded meetings?  If a viewer is on a slower connection, will they see the entire video before the meeting continues, or would the video get cut off at a certain point when the meeting continues?

Is there a best practices for playing videos in meetings or recorded meetings, or any other options to avoid these issues?

Thanks,
craig booth

#2 2008-11-06 15:28:31

**_thomasattrp_**

Re: Video behavior in recorded meetings

We also have a need for anonymity. We have a hosted account.  The only way we have devised so far is to make the meeting available to anyone who has the URL and let participants sign in under any name they choose other than their own.  As administrator you would not know who they are either.   Giving out the URL is not really a problem because we would only give it to those people who are interested in a meeting being held at a particular time. Also, the content of our meetings where this is done is not confidential.

#3 2008-11-10 11:04:33

**_jameslloyd_**

You could try screen sharing a video rather than uploading the video.  That way, if the connection for users is slow they will lose quality but not sync.

#4 2008-11-14 23:47:26

**_sean_at_RealEyes_**

Do you need to dictate the start/stop, or is this something you would allow the user to do on their end?

#5 2008-11-20 13:07:42

**_kraigyb_**

It would be nice to ensure that the recorded meeting does not continue until videos are completed.  Is that what you mean by dictating the start/stop?

After thinking about it some more, I can't see how this would work unless the video was actually recorded in the meeting, such as when you make an offline recording or use Camtasia or Captivate.  Maybe someday Adobe will improve syncing audio and video in recordings.

I recently downloaded Presenter, and I don't know why I didn't try it earlier.  Presenter seems to handle videos better.  If a slide includes a video, the slide won't advance until the video is finished even if it requires additional buffering time on the end user's system.  For this reason and its many other options, I think we're going to start using Presenter to package our online trainings.

Board footer